Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MembersZone Subscriber Trafficjockey93's Avatar

Well supposedly FEMA had a plan in place in the event of such a disaster in LA.
    I walked in as they were showing excerpts of it on TV last night. So take this with a grain of salt.
    We all know the old saying..."Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see".
    They wre showing excerpts of the plan along with the front cover of the plan which had a Homeland Security logo on it. What it supposedly said was that in the event of this type of catastrophy, and if the local or State gov't was not taking action. FEMA had the authorization to step in and take over. FEMA was to take over evacuation of the affected area, order the NG to get ready to deploy etc.
    What puzzles me though is that this was on Homeland Security letterhead.
    I know that FEMA is now a part of HS, but did anyone tell Brown about this plan? Assuming this is correct and not some political or media hype.

Could this be an example of the left hand not knowing what the right hand was doing.

Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    Random thoughts:

1. Having an "investigation committee" consisting of fire, EMS and OEM personnel only is a ridiculously un-thought out (is that a word?) idea. It is also symptomatic of the problem in thought process about the whole disaster. There are so many other facets to this problem. Emergency services is only one piece. Fire, EMS and OEM personnel are not going to be involved in the investigation. That is as it should be.

Well George, If I didn't know your style of responding I would think you were basically calling me an idiot.
    Also I did not say that the investigative committee should be comprised of Fire, EMS and OEM personnel only. What I said was, What they should do is have an investigation committee comprised of Emergency Management, Fire Chiefs and people who don't have a political agenda, not these politicians or their hacks.
    People who actually have "been there and done that" experience.

I still stand by that statement. If you want to know exactly what happened down there and what caused the breakdown in so many aspects, you are going to need people who have the "been there done that" experience. Sure you are going to have to have a politician or two on the committee, but not comprise the whole committee of them or their lackeys.

Unfortunately we will never get that. They already have their scapegoat.
    SAEPE EXPERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATRES AETERNI
    "Often Tested, Always Faithful, Brothers Forever"

Once a Marine, Always a Marine

I got the best of both worlds- Firefighter and Marine

MembersZone Subscriber

I think by fire, ems, and oes people only he was trying to say no politcians. And I would agree with that. But that would mean that it would be handled by assistant chief and down in rank, as some chiefs are political appointees. It would also mean no union members, as they tend to be political. If they really wanted to fix it they would go down in the trenches, pick several mid level managers that seem to know their job, and give them unlimited access to everyone, and every report, total access. Then you would get largely unbiased and useful information.

Also it hardly made the news, and the 19 year old intern at Firehouse did not even pick up the story, but the Gov. was in the same seat as Brown the day before. They went extrememly easy on her, only a few questions were put to her. And the only soundbite I heard was her saying that she was not here to analyze what went wrong, or answer any questions about the response, but was there to ask for mor aid. Very light media coverage in general, so since the media is not interested in going after her at this point I would expect that she has a pass. The media will be on to the next story before this comes up again. Looks like the only one that will get to wear the dunce cap on this one will be Brown.

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rgamma5
    I think by fire, ems, and oes people only he was trying to say no politcians. And I would agree with that. But that would mean that it would be handled by assistant chief and down in rank, as some chiefs are political appointees. It would also mean no union members, as they tend to be political. If they really wanted to fix it they would go down in the trenches, pick several mid level managers that seem to know their job, and give them unlimited access to everyone, and every report, total access. Then you would get largely unbiased and useful information.

Also it hardly made the news, and the 19 year old intern at Firehouse did not even pick up the story, but the Gov. was in the same seat as Brown the day before. They went extrememly easy on her, only a few questions were put to her. And the only soundbite I heard was her saying that she was not here to analyze what went wrong, or answer any questions about the response, but was there to ask for mor aid. Very light media coverage in general, so since the media is not interested in going after her at this point I would expect that she has a pass. The media will be on to the next story before this comes up again. Looks like the only one that will get to wear the dunce cap on this one will be Brown.
    And the most decisive that I have seen Mike Brown was while he was in front of the committee.
    And the funny thing is; unless he was subpoenaed or compelled in some way to testify, he could have told them to go pack sand.
    Blanco and Nagin should be the meat for the grinder on this one.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefReason
    And the most decisive that I have seen Mike Brown was while he was in front of the committee.
    And the funny thing is; unless he was subpoenaed or compelled in some way to testify, he could have told them to go pack sand.
    Blanco and Nagin should be the meat for the grinder on this one.
    CR
    Yes, but I think there will be no meat in this sandwich, all Bun and condiments..

Forum Member

Default Great insite

After viewing these forums for sometime now it isn't hard to see what political bias each individual here tends to have. While I certainly have a strong bias myself, I am very pleased to see that except for one stupid comment that everyone here is viewing this appropriately reqardless of their politics. I understand this all too well considering that a news article here recently had the local EMA director quoted as saying "We are very prepared for Emergencies here".
    That is a joke , I bet we here are far more unprepared than those in LA were and for the same reasons.
    1. Politicitians don't listen to those who do the job .
    2. No one understands the system .
    3. The status quo has always worked so we can do it .

Thread Information