Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27
  1. #1
    IAFF3904
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    30

    Arrow Daily apparatus inspection checklist

    I was recently given the job of coming up with a detailed daily apparatus checklist. Does anyone know where I can get sample forms. The checklists are for engines and aerial apparatus. Thanks Stacy


  2. #2
    Forum Member DeputyChiefGonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Somewhere between genius and insanity!
    Posts
    13,583

    Default

    Send me an PM with your address.. I can mail you a copies of ours for Engines, Laders, rescues and support vehicles..
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

  3. #3
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Chesapeake Bay
    Posts
    284

    Default

    I'd like to help you out if you could change your profile to allow PM's or just PM me with your email and I'll send you what we use here.

  4. #4
    IAFF3904
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    30

    Arrow PM/ email


  5. #5
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    96

    Default Daily Apparatus Check List

    I've got some FD examplse too and would also appreciate receiving whatever anyone else has to see the best and most thorough (without writing a book) for the driver to do a daily check list on his/her apparatus to ensure its safe and functioning properly and not saying "the black dog did it"...

    Also there is going to be a new NFPA 1911 Standard for Inservice Maintenance and Inspection of Apparatus which will help the fire service because it seems that it's all over the board from a real good check list to nothing at all and in this day and age of legal liability it would be a good thing to have documentation

    aerialguy1@hotmail.com

    Thanks

  6. #6
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    105

    Default

    CaptainGonzo, aerialguy1

    Could I also get a copy? Thanks

    wwatson@wrfire.org

  7. #7
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Wheaton IL
    Posts
    1,765

    Default

    While we don't use it ourselves I have worked at places that do
    Attached Images Attached Images

  8. #8
    MembersZone Subscriber krg1401's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    78

    Default Nfpa 1911

    I thought 1911 was just for the annual pump test? Aerialguy1 help me ouy here if you could.

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    59

    Default Inspection Solution

    Quote Originally Posted by aerialguy1
    I've got some FD examplse too and would also appreciate receiving whatever anyone else has to see the best and most thorough (without writing a book) for the driver to do a daily check list on his/her apparatus to ensure its safe and functioning properly and not saying "the black dog did it"...

    Also there is going to be a new NFPA 1911 Standard for Inservice Maintenance and Inspection of Apparatus which will help the fire service because it seems that it's all over the board from a real good check list to nothing at all and in this day and age of legal liability it would be a good thing to have documentation

    aerialguy1@hotmail.com

    Thanks
    We use a handheld PDA that uses a program called AssetTrax. It has to have the operator sign in and then we have tag's on the appratus to verify that the operator scanned them in a working or not working on the appratus.
    It has made our people accountable for their actions and it's in black and white.

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    96

    Default New NFPA 1911 2007 Standard

    There is going to be a new 1911 Standard called:

    NFPA 1911
    Standard for the Inspection, Maintenance, Testing and Retirement of In-Service Automotive Fire Apparatus.
    2007 Edition

    I think this is going to be a great Standard as it's going to cover all aspects of apparatus maintenance and refurbishing and replacement suggestions.

  11. #11
    Forum Member Dave1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Gator Country
    Posts
    4,157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by devondual
    I was recently given the job of coming up with a detailed daily apparatus checklist. Does anyone know where I can get sample forms. The checklists are for engines and aerial apparatus. Thanks Stacy
    I got drafted to make ours. I use Microsoft Word. All you do is list eveyting and put a little check box. Its really easy. Heres a sample...


    CAB:

    o Engine oil ___
    o Coolant ___
    o Tranmission fluid ___
    o Headlights Low Beam
    o Headlight High Beam
    o Spootlights R L
    o EMS Gloves M L XL

    COMPARTMENT 1:

    o Drivers SCBA ___psi
    o Spare SCBA mask
    o Hand Light
    o 5 Spare SCBA bottles _____psi____psi____psi____psi_ __psi
    o Spare O2 bottle ___psi
    o Headset for pump panel

    If you have MS Word I can e-mail you a copy of ours. Send me an e-mail so Ill have your address.
    Last edited by Dave1983; 10-09-2005 at 05:13 PM.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

    IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

    "No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

    Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

  12. #12
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Penn Valley, Ca
    Posts
    571

    Default

    One thing that bugs me about most lists is the transmission oil being listed as a daily check. (I am a mechanic primarily.) On order to be accurately checked the transmission needs to be hot, not warm, not cold, and the only way to get it hot is to drive the truck around, quite a ways too. We need to approach this with the psychology in mind, that putting it on the daily check list encourages people to do it halfassed, do it wrong, or never do it at all and just pencil whip it. Transmission oil is not as critical an item as engine oil. It does not have rings or seals to go past where it could be burned without being noticed. If it leaves it has to leak and presumably someone would notice the puddle or notice the fact that the truck did not go. Engines may use oil but a properly operating transmission uses none.

    (For the record I have discovered that retarder equipped transmissions use a little past the seals of the air applied retarder cylinder and out onto the ground though. Another good reason not to get a transmission retarder)

    So I submit that transmission oil should probably be checked weekly or longer with explicit instructions that the transmission needs to be fully hot. The new electronic level sensors are nice because they require no manual reading and they will not read the oil level unless the right conditions are met.

    Birken

  13. #13
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1

    Thumbs up Apparatus Inspection

    A standard vehicle inspection form is really not the answer. You need to develop an inspection routine for your units. This can be based on run time, age of unit, purpose of unit and a host of other items. Who will do the inspection? Do you have the proper tools? Is the inspector qualified to inspect and report findings? It is not just as simple as putting some checks on some paper. I would be glad to assist you or any department if need be. Allen, Stewart & Stevenson Emergency Vehicle Repair Division.

  14. #14
    MembersZone Subscriber osh599's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Kalamazoo, Mi
    Posts
    117

    Post Daily Checklist

    If anyone here would like some input, I overhauled our maintenance program in 1996. I spent six years running our fleet maintenance program and have many forms that might assist you;

    Daily, Weekly, Monthly Checklists
    Small Engine PM Forms
    Apparatus Inventories
    Misc., Equipment Inventories
    Data and Fact Forms

    I also started a business to assist departments in creating a fleet maintenance program or adding insight to making such a program more efficient.

    I'm here to offer my assistance to everyone if interested.
    Jim Shultz
    Oshtemo Fire Dept
    Fleet Maintenance Specialist

  15. #15
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Asheville, North Carolina, United States of America
    Posts
    126

    Default Vfis

    Contact your area VFIS insurance agent or go on their website. Even if you do not have insurance through them, they will be glad to provide you with some excellent generic sheets to get started with.
    Pray for the dead, fight like hell for the living! - Mother Jones

  16. #16
    MembersZone Subscriber rualfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Strathmore, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    444

    Default VFIS Reccomendations

    From the VFIS Drivers Training Program - I highly reccomend it.


    Pre-trip
    Vehicle overview
    Check the engine compartment
    Start engine and check inside cab
    Check headlights, signal lights, warning lights, and audio devices
    Conduct walk around inspection
    Check controls and indicators
    Check brake system (air brakes)

    Post-Trip
    Cleaning of vehicle.
    Replacing supplies.
    Re-fueling and checking fluid levels, if justified.
    Report any unusual occurrences or malfunctions.


    Types of Maintenance
    Routine Maintenance
    Scheduled Maintenance
    Crisis Maintenance

    Routine
    Fluid level checks
    Wheels and tires
    Electrical systems and devices

    Scheduled
    Manufacturerís recommended schedule
    Amount of use
    Organizational policy
    Professional standards

    Crisis
    Classification A (Immediate)
    Classification B (As Soon As Possible)
    Classification C (Next P.M.)
    SRFD905 - Serving since 1998

    *~-|EGH|FTM|-~*

  17. #17
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Pearl River,NY - USA
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Send me an EM and I'll EM our weekly check sheets to you.

    MCrean@optonline.net

  18. #18
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    The North East
    Posts
    489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BirkenVogt
    One thing that bugs me about most lists is the transmission oil being listed as a daily check. (I am a mechanic primarily.) On order to be accurately checked the transmission needs to be hot, not warm, not cold, and the only way to get it hot is to drive the truck around, quite a ways too. We need to approach this with the psychology in mind, that putting it on the daily check list encourages people to do it halfassed, do it wrong, or never do it at all and just pencil whip it. Transmission oil is not as critical an item as engine oil. It does not have rings or seals to go past where it could be burned without being noticed. If it leaves it has to leak and presumably someone would notice the puddle or notice the fact that the truck did not go. Engines may use oil but a properly operating transmission uses none.

    (For the record I have discovered that retarder equipped transmissions use a little past the seals of the air applied retarder cylinder and out onto the ground though. Another good reason not to get a transmission retarder)

    So I submit that transmission oil should probably be checked weekly or longer with explicit instructions that the transmission needs to be fully hot. The new electronic level sensors are nice because they require no manual reading and they will not read the oil level unless the right conditions are met.

    Birken
    We did exactly this, as we found that they were being overfilled reguarly. The same went for tire pressure. We replaced a lot of valve stems from wearing out threads and needle valves. While most things need to be kept on top of, often the daily checks become a routine that gets done half-*ssed
    and is worse. And nothing says that anything you've checked can't fail five minutes later on a run. Its all about balance.
    Daily: starts? emrgency warning systems? pumps? aerial moves? SCBA ready? nothing missing? nothing broke? Fuel ok? Good to go!

  19. #19
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Penn Valley, Ca
    Posts
    571

    Default

    Tire pressure is a different story, I try to get people to check that daily. Any run can get a nail in a tire and a flat dual can be very inconspicuous. To prevent wearout of valve stems add the little caps that you can check the air pressure through without removing.

    Birken

  20. #20
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    The North East
    Posts
    489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BirkenVogt
    Tire pressure is a different story, I try to get people to check that daily. Any run can get a nail in a tire and a flat dual can be very inconspicuous. To prevent wearout of valve stems add the little caps that you can check the air pressure through without removing.

    Birken
    The operator is supposed to "thump" the tires daily but we've found this is a lost art.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Fire Inspection Software
    By wsmith500 in forum Fire Prevention and Life Safety
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-02-2014, 01:34 AM
  2. Required equipment on a pumper
    By taskforce16 in forum Apparatus Innovation
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-27-2007, 04:51 PM
  3. Standardized Apparatus for USA???
    By SamsonFCDES in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 88
    Last Post: 03-15-2006, 02:01 PM
  4. Civilian Fire Fatalities
    By DCFF in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 02-08-2002, 08:18 AM
  5. New Apparatus Inspection
    By Doo600 in forum Apparatus Innovation
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-17-1999, 01:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts