Thread: "start me up!"

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink "start me up!"

I am starting to get the impression that it will be easier for me to get backstage passes to a sold-out Rolling Stones concert than becoming a Chicago Fire Fighter.
    "if you gaze into the abyss the abyss gazes into you" -Friedrich Nietzsche

Forum Member

Default And just about as old...

And at the rate they're going, you'd be just about as old as Mick jagger when you get hired, too.

Go somewhere else....you'll have a better chance. 2 tests in 20 years here.

MembersZone Subscriber

TJ your only 20, most fire departments won't even let you test yet. You have time! Use this time to study, prepare, if you're interested in the EMS part get your EMT-B then your Paramedic. You can also take fire classes. When you do turn 21, TEST! For any department you can. Get the practice! I don't know of anyone who gets on the the first deparment they test for or heard of it. Yes Chicago has not tested in several years and they are at the top for competition; but because they have not tested in a long time they should very soon(they are in the process of setting it up) and because there is a lot of competition for that department you need to be prepared as much as you can be. There are even other people who are already firefighters and Paramedics who will be testing for them. Just because Chicago seems to be an impossible dream does not mean that it is impossible~just going to be hard. Always look on the positve side and never doubt yourself~if you do you will fail.

Look at this I'm giving my own competition advice. Good luck!
    An education is only wasted when the taught individual chooses not to recognize the value of the lesson.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CDean867
    And at the rate they're going, you'd be just about as old as Mick jagger when you get hired, too.

Go somewhere else....you'll have a better chance. 2 tests in 20 years here.
    haha yeah, I am not stopping at anything. I'm going to try everywhere

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by JorieH
    TJ your only 20, most fire departments won't even let you test yet. You have time! Use this time to study, prepare, if you're interested in the EMS part get your EMT-B then your Paramedic. You can also take fire classes. When you do turn 21, TEST! For any department you can. Get the practice! I don't know of anyone who gets on the the first deparment they test for or heard of it. Yes Chicago has not tested in several years and they are at the top for competition; but because they have not tested in a long time they should very soon(they are in the process of setting it up) and because there is a lot of competition for that department you need to be prepared as much as you can be. There are even other people who are already firefighters and Paramedics who will be testing for them. Just because Chicago seems to be an impossible dream does not mean that it is impossible~just going to be hard. Always look on the positve side and never doubt yourself~if you do you will fail.

Look at this I'm giving my own competition advice. Good luck!

thank you for the advice

I finished my EMT-I training last year, I'm thinking about joining a private so I can get as much expierence as possible.
    I was just kidding about the rolling stones thing.
    You're not my competition...you're my future partner.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have a question about Chicago. I would love to work there and am willing to move from Texas to work there. I have paid experience and a paramedic patch... would that give me or anyone else a, i'm not going to say points on the test, but make someone more attractive to be hired?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985
    I have a question about Chicago. I would love to work there and am willing to move from Texas to work there. I have paid experience and a paramedic patch... would that give me or anyone else a, i'm not going to say points on the test, but make someone more attractive to be hired?
    Become friends with the mayor, city manager, someone on the police and fire commission, fire chief, etc. Just kidding...
    FTM - PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

To be honest I really don't know anything that will make you more desirable to a FD than giving it your all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Experience and certifications always looks good and a degree. But Chicago has their own Firefighting training, even if you already have Illinois FFII you still need to go through their academy(as it has been discussed before there is no longer Illinois FFI) Also most fire departments require IL state certification(paramedic), but I think a NR would be accepted or a way to bypass the whole class(just test for the state); I'm going to need my brothers here to agree or disagree with me on this one.

But you're always welcome to become a flatlander.

Oh, Chicago also states you must have a Chicago address and live there.
    An education is only wasted when the taught individual chooses not to recognize the value of the lesson.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by TJMiller
    thank you for the advice

I finished my EMT-I training last year, I'm thinking about joining a private so I can get as much expierence as possible.
    I was just kidding about the rolling stones thing.
    You're not my competition...you're my future partner.
    Good point.

I don't know of any privates that allow EMT-I's to use those skills, I know of a girl in my company that has hers and she can only work BLS. But you are more west than me so there might be one over by you.

Forum Member

There are still EMT-I's in Illinois?
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

Default ???

TJ can I use your Avatar ? Just wondering......
    FF/Instructor
    "Train as you life depends on it, IT DOES!!"
    IACOJ
    MABAS 32

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEYLIKESIT
    Yes there are. We have three fire departments in Kankakee County that run ILS ambulances. Two more departments that have an ALS primary unit and an ILS secondary unit and one department that is ILS non-transport.

Forum Member

Thanks Triple K. They were phased out in our system quite some time ago.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

You should be able to find them in the rual areas. It's kind of silly to have them in the larger city areas. Since you need your EMT-B to apply for paramedic not EMT-I, it's a money thing. EMT-P $> EMT-I $. Both require EMT-B.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Crisb1419
    I'm not sure to say "Ewwww..." or "Hu? What would you want to use it for?"
    TJ are you wondering the same thing? I hope it's not the "Ewwwwww..", Because that is just not right to ask someone that. Especially in a public manor to someone you don't really know.

MembersZone Subscriber
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

You should be able to find them in the rual areas. It's kind of silly to have them in the larger city areas. Since you need your EMT-B to apply for paramedic not EMT-I, it's a money thing. EMT-P $> EMT-I $. Both require EMT-B.
    EMT-Is are going the way of the dodo. I believe the FED DOT upped the curriculum so much that a "bridge" class is now needed for recertificaiton. When we looked into it, the only area class was in Rockford and was something on the order of 600 hours . Well, if you're gonna do that much, might just as well go another 350 and become a medic.

I know of no EMT-I classes being taught, at least in Northern Illinois. There might be something down Jack's way.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks Triple K. They were phased out in our system quite some time ago.
    As far as I know the state is phasing out EMT-Is. However, since the IDPH is in such a state of flux there has been no word on how this will be accomplished. Originally, our EMT-Is were told that there would be a "bridge" program that would take them from EMT-I to the new EMT-P. This never happened. There are only about 10 EMT-Is in our whole EMS System left and most of them have now enrolled in the paramedic program. One of the 3 ILS departments in our county has 3 of their Is enrolled in paramedic school. Once they finish paramedic school they plan on upgrading their service to ALS. The other two ILS departments (same county / different EMS System)are just waiting to see what happens. One of those departments has only about 35 ambulance calls a year, so they have been exploring contracting out to a neighboring fire district and becoming a non-transport service. Our EMS system has even stopped teaching the EMT-I class to prepare for the phase out of EMT-Is.

MembersZone Subscriber
    finally getting ready to start the new station

Default No more Is?

Well, boys and girls, now looks like a good time to get back into things. Swedes EMS and OSF(2 out of the 3 Rockford resource hospitals) both have the new cirr. I classes either coming up or already started. Swedes has already held 1 bridge class in Lanark.
    Every silver lining's got a touch of grey...I wiilll get by....

Proud to be IACOJ Flatlander Division

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

Yes, there are still EMT-I classes down here. I've got a guy on our dept. that is trying to finish his but the college screwed him up somehow so he has to wait till next semester. He's working for a ALS service full time and since he isn't actually a student right now, he's back to doing only basic procedures, no medic stuff. He'll lose his touch waiting for 9 months to get back to those things. DJ is in the I class now. There was a bridge class going on, too. There is an I test, too. I don't know why they don't just do away with it. We don't have any I services down here as far as I know but they still teach it.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Crisb1419
    Um..what??? I don't know what you meant by that so I'm sorry I can't agree.

MembersZone Subscriber

hehe I sure hope so because last time I checked I was one..

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm not sure to say "Ewwww..." or "Hu? What would you want to use it for?"
    TJ are you wondering the same thing? I hope it's not the "Ewwwwww..", Because that is just not right to ask someone that. Especially in a public manor to someone you don't really know.
    I completely agree.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by TJMiller
    I completely agree.
    Yeah, that's an odd question. And he still hasn't answered to why/"What would you use it for?"

Have you looked into companies you could apply for or FD that will let you test. Look to see if you'll be 21 by the date they require by. You can actually apply when you are 20, but need to be 21 by a set date.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah, that's an odd question. And he still hasn't answered to why/"What would you use it for?"

Have you looked into companies you could apply for or FD that will let you test. Look to see if you'll be 21 by the date they require by. You can actually apply when you are 20, but need to be 21 by a set date.

No I haven't, but that is a great idea. I got turned down for an app. at one of the FD's so I went on a little calling spree, I've got a few good responses so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I am taking you out for coffee!

Thread Information