Thread: SAFER update...

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Default SAFER update...

Coming to a firehouse near you on Friday...SAFER grants Round 1!
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the info. Do you think they will have more than one round?

MembersZone Subscriber

I would hope. The whole state of PA only received 2 and I'm sure they're worthy of more!
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."

MembersZone Subscriber

Any idea how many awards in the first round?

MembersZone Subscriber

No idea on how many awards this round. Wait until Friday's announcement, I guess.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Word was there are only 130 awards, so it might not be more than 2 for PA. Some states might not end up with any.

Forum Member

Default Safer Grant

I hope there is more than 130 awards for the SAFER Grant. I personally do not think it would be fair to put 3, 4, or more fire fighters in one department. When some departments do not have any.
    I know, I know that I probably did not do a good job with my narrative but still hopefully the numbers will not lie.
    I also hope Congree funds safer for the next few years and more than $65M.

I hope I am not complaining to early. I am like every one else the wait is killing me.

MembersZone Subscriber

Start lobbying your Congressmen/women and Senators early -- there are two hurricanes to pay for right now, and we see how the dollar amount rises by the hour for LA...That money isn't coming from thin air...

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Flochief
    I hope there is more than 130 awards for the SAFER Grant. I personally do not think it would be fair to put 3, 4, or more fire fighters in one department. When some departments do not have any.
    I know, I know that I probably did not do a good job with my narrative but still hopefully the numbers will not lie.

I hope I am not complaining to early. I am like every one else the wait is killing me.
    Well you also have to remember it's positions too. So a 24/7 career dept adding 4 FFs is most likely 1 per shift to go to either 3 or 4 on the truck. So adding 4 FFs to 1 department to make NFPA 1710 appears to outweigh putting the 1 and only paid FF in a smaller, low volume volunteer department. I'm sure there's a mix though, but this category is definitely going to end up being more competitive than vehicles.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

And on the funding part, the 2006 plan is supposed to take $50 million from AFG and put it into SAFER, making it $115 million for next year.

Lobbying is critical because I think we all agree we can't afford to lose the $50 million from the AFG either. Both need more funding.

Forum Member

We all do agree SAFER needs more funding.
    It is just dishearting to see where career depts are getting 6 paid personnel and some volunteer depts can't get 1.
    When the career dept get called at 11:00am they may have to call for another station, but some rural dept can't respond due to all the volunteers working at their Real (paying) job. 1 paid person at a the station would at least get a truck on scene.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Flochief, I understand the sentiment, but 1 FF taking the truck doesn't do any good anyway, they can't do anything when they get there with it. You still need mutual aid to even attempt interior. That's where the lower cost-benefit arises of asking for the 1 and only paid guy in the volunteer house versus 6 for a career department. Honestly, you'd be better asking for 3 FFs than 1 if you don't have any paid people. At least then they can be effective upon arrival and any volunteers would be bonuses. I realize that the budget isn't going to support it in 99.9% of the cases, but that's just the situation at hand. And just so you know I'm not trying to antagonize or insult the application you put in, I'm just trying to explain my view and perception of the program. All of the hiring apps I did were enhancing the 1 or 2 paid guys on duty, and most were daytime coverage only because night volunteer coverage was fine.

Trojan - it's hard to compare having a paid guy guaranteed to be sitting in the station and the "hope" that giving some recruitment & retention things gets the volunteers out of bed when needed. Throw in like Flochief said that most can't respond when at work, and it is an uphill battle trying to get R&R justified when compared to a guaranteed response when hiring. The priorities aren't with R&R, which is why they included the minimum amount that HAS to go to R&R. The cost-benefit is leaning towards hiring. Obviously I'd like a nice plaque, pension and whatnot for volunteering, but that wouldn't be enough for me to leave work for a call. We have bills to pay like everyone else, which is why R&R can't guarantee minimum staffing.

Again, I'm not saying it's right, wrong, or indifferent, that's just the way it is. Which is why we need more funding for it, and not at the expense of AFG. The more they put in the program, the more R&R awards there will be.

- Brian

Forum Member

Received the questions for SAFER today. We are a volunteer fire department applying for recruitment/retention.
    Brian Cook
    Asst. Chief

MembersZone Subscriber

That's at least the third Friday in a row for questions on SAFER...so, at least 3 rounds...the department I worked with had rec'd questions last Friday. Sensing a pattern here. Congrats! BTW, ours was for the R&R, as well...

Forum Member

Brian,
    I agree, but daytime coverage is when our dept is hurting and I suspect most volunteers dept. are. If we could get 1 firefighter working Monday through Friday from 8-5 it would be a lifesavor. I know about 2 in 2 out rule and 1710 and 1720 coverage. We answer on an average of 12-14 structure fires a year of which only 1-2 are a working structure fire.

It seems it is very hard going from a volunteer dept to a combo dept.

I also want to say I appreciate your comments and help over the last few years. I have tried to use some of your ideas to help my small dept withs its grants.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I wish my comments and help got more funding for you. But the big thing I see is your numbers. 12-14 dispatches a year for 1-2 real fires doesn't scream need in the global sense. We run that in about a week, but then again we have 100K residents, and it's also why we have 15 paid guys on day crew M-F. EMS runs are the other reason, we're closing in on 4,000 total calls for the year already.

And to use a career department that runs the call volume we do, those hired guys are going to do more for those areas than the 1 guy in yours. It stinks sometimes, but the way the programs are all run are the most bang for the buck, so the FFs are going to mostly go where there are a lot of fires, which is career departments.

I think my prediction from many moons ago is right on again, at least in Round 1. I thought I mentioned that small and mid-sized career departments were going to get the most hiring money out of SAFER. But danged if I can't pick the right lottery numbers...

Forum Member

yea I know, in 1991 we answered 17 calls in a whole year, with Atlanta moving south we are answering 175 calls in a year now. I know its not like everyone else does but it still is a big increase for us. But we are going to keep applying every time and keep hoping. Our population is only 690 in the city and and around 5000 in our response area.

And one day we may win the lotto.

Keep us informed !!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Does anyone know when the first SAFER Q's went out?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I think the first set came out about 2 weeks ago according to one of the other threads.

MembersZone Subscriber

The earliest I had heard was on or before 9/13. Just curious, Thx!

MembersZone Subscriber

If you got the questions and the up dated 1199 for the safer what is the chance that you got the grant?

MembersZone Subscriber

Ok Chief,
    I would advise someone that the updated 1199 gives you a 90% award, and then if you receive the questions and answer them favorably (with the correct Yes at the "If you are selected for a grant award, would you accept? " and so on...

Basically on the Q's, as long as you answer them with a grain of common sense, I have not seen any of my Fire Departments receive them and not be funded. I think Kurt had one last year (or previous yr), but that's another story.

And dneptn, the FD I worked with received their Q's on 9/23, I just went back and looked and pulled the first questions for the quote in here...So, here's to hoping we're this Friday!

MembersZone Subscriber

I got my questions on 9/22/05

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone been notified by any politicians today about a Round 2 Grant?

MembersZone Subscriber

Maybe I missed something, but.... Did they not post the round 2 grants on firegrantsupport.com or did OHS skip this Friday

Thread Information