MembersZone Subscriber

Default Maintenance Shop

How many departments out there have their own dedicated maintenance shop? If your department has one, how big is your fleet, population, # of mechanics, and if you know, budget for the shop? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Forum Member

Default you ask for it

Ok here goes. We have our own maintenance shop for the City Of Las Vegas Fire & Rescue. We have about 21 pumpers, 7 aerials, 25 rescues, a water tender, Air resource with back up unit, mobile command unit with back up unit, Hazmat unit, Heavy Rescue unit battalion chief vehicles, arson vehicles and assundry other vehicles. We also have the responsibility for all of the city hydrants and air packs, blowers, nozzles and other miscellaneous equipment. We have 1 shop foreman (me), 6 other mechanics, 1 person for the hydrants, one person for the air packs and miscelllaneous stuff and a service writer who does lots of other things. I am not for sure on what they actually allow for us out of the overall budget but I believe it is around 3million. That is to cover all costs to include regular maintenance and accidents etc. We are part of the IAFF local as well and fall directly under their contract. Our support chief is over us.Hope this helps.

Forum Member

We are on the far, far other end of the scale. We have 2 pumpers, a tender (with one more on the way), and a Polaris on a trailer for wildland tree strikes. We use an IGA with the local school, as the Chief is also the transportation director, and a heavy equipment mechcanic. So, we have a chief who takes off his white helmet and gets dirty, fixing our trucks!
    Our budget? Whatever it takes to keep the trucks on the road!

MembersZone Subscriber

We are a combination department with approx. 70 members. We have 4 engines, 1 55 ft quint, 4 tankers(tenders) 3 brush trucks, 2 support trucks, 1 37ft Regional Response Haz-Mat team trailer. We utilize an older station that noone runs out of as our "maintenance shop."

We do our own oil changes, and minor mechanical repairs. If it is a major repair, our fleet is 90% KME and we have a KME dealership in our district and they do all the major repairs to the KME part of the apparatus. Otherwise we go to an International Dealer/Shop in the city. Not sure what our budget is, we get some allocated to it but it is pretty much whatever it takes to keep them running.
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    IACOJ

Forum Member

We have 4 engines, 3 ambulances, 1 water tender, and 2 pickups. I am shop foreman down to oil changer. I also run calls as needed and cover a shift now and then. I also do "plant maintenance" type functions such as elecrical, plumbing, and other construction.

Birken

Forum Member

We have our own shop. 3 engines, a quint, a squad (heavy rescue) a rescue baot and 8 staff vehicles. One VERY good mechanic . No idea the budget.

We handle everything but major apparatus repairs (like an engine rebuild), body/paint work, radio work (county handles) and warranty work in house.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

We have our own shop. Services 22 Engines, 6 Ladders, 10 EC Units, 1 Rescue, and lots of little fleas (chief cars, pool vehicles.) The shop has 3 platoon FF mechanics and two non-sworn. All working under a Captain. Any rebuild work is sent to the main government garage.

Forum Member

We are a combination department with a total of around 500 personnel almost 300 of which are paid.

We have 50 Engines, 5 Trucks, 2 Rescues, 5 Tankers, 19 Ambulances, 9 Brush Trucks, and a good assortment of buggies. (a few engines and ambulances are reserve rigs)

Department maintenance personnel include the Maintenance Superviser, two field mechanics and a tradesman. All routine maintence (fluid changes and such) and general repairs not able to be performed in the field are done by the County's fleet facility (separate department). Engine rebuilds and other heavier work is done in private shops.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Forum Member

Ok I Will Try And Lay This Out To Some Degree Of Sense.
    We Do All Of Our Own Maintence On The Apparatus. our department is all paid with 500 personel 30 Engines, 7 Ladders, 15 Ambulances, 18 Command Vehicles (suburbans). 2 Mobile Air Trucks, 1 Hvy Rescue, 3 Haz Mat Response Units, 3 Boats And About A Dozen Other Maintence Vehicles. And I Almost Forgot 4 Antiques That Are For Parades And Funeral Details.
    We Have A Batt. Chief Who Is In Charge Of All Maintence Divisions: Building, Scba, Apparatus And Electronics. Each Division Has A Major Or Captain Who Oversees The Daily Operations And Works 0700 To 1530 Hrs. Next In The Chain Of Things Is The Ff On Duty. This Is A 24 Hr/ 48 Hr Ff With Prior Knowledge And Expierence In His / Her Field. This Allows Us To Have A Mechanic On Station For After Hours Breakdowns And Weekends. This Ff Is Also Available To Provide Reserve Apparatus On An As Needed Basis. We Then Have Three Certified Mechanics Who Are On The 0700- 1530 Schedule.
    We Do All Pm And General Repair Work To All Of The Above Apparatus. We Also Care For The Small Engine And Lawn Equipment The Dept Has. We Farm Out The Body Work And Transmissions. We Do Not Have The Resources And Facilities To Do These Jobs.
    Currently We Operate With Two Hydraulic Lifts For Apparatus. One Is An In Ground Ajustable And The Other Is An Above Ground For The Small Stuff (12'000 Lbs.). The Shop Facility Has 7 Bays With 2 Being Full Depth. (engine And Ladder Will Fit Bumper To Bumper.) We Have Our Own Mills, Lathes, Presses Etc.
    Our Operating Budget Including Fuel Is $500'000 Roughly. This Does Not Include Manpower Costs. We Are Spending Some Where Around 180,000 For Fuel Now Days. I Hope This Helps.
    Last edited by ETAB4U; 10-11-2005 at 02:02 PM. Reason: added facts

Thread Information