Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Australians do ‘patriotic duty’: Birthrate up

Australians do ‘patriotic duty’: Birthrate up
    Rate rises after official urges citizens to have ‘one for your country’

CANBERRA, Australia - Treasurer Peter Costello urged Australians to “do their patriotic duty” and have more children but it seems they were doing it anyway, just for fun. A new study shows the birthrate hitting its highest level in seven years.

A study by Australian National University demographer Peter McDonald showed the country’s birthrate at 1.77 per woman in 2004, its highest level since 1997. McDonald believes the rate will stay around 1.8 for the next 5-10 years.

“We’ve been calling for policies to support work and family for several years, and also there’s been a great deal of discussion about, ‘if you wait too long, there’s a chance that you won’t have the baby’,” McDonald said.

“That kind of public discussion has been pretty prominent and I think that has had its effect,” he said. During a budget speech in May last year, Costello urged Australians to have more children, telling couples to “have one for your husband, one for your wife and one for your country.”

Costello’s comments came as this country of 20.3 million people struggles to deal with an aging population. The government’s Productivity Commission has forecast that one in four Australians will be aged over 65 by 2045.

Copyright 2005 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters.

My number 2 is now heading into the overdue timeframe!!
    Luke

What a novel concept. A government employee being "productive."

Like I need a government employee to tell me to have sex. I just don't want kids.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie
    Like I need a government employee to tell me to have sex. I just don't want kids.
    Me either, especially while still in high school...
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

I'd prefer just to "practice" - I think I am much in need of practice.....
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Great... World population over 6 billion and climbing and the Auzzies are actively promoting making more of the little blighters...
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

We actually do need to have more kids here, less we end up like Germany, etc... They reckon that in 50 odd years time Germany will be a muslim country. The white people are having about 1 kid per couple and the muslims are having 3.

I will not be doing my patriotic duties for awhile to come, but my brothers sure are. I got at least two nephews/nieces due next year. That will bring the total up to 8.
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

Forum Member

Banjo Patterson would be proud!

Banjo Patterson would be proud!
    Thats about all you know about Australia isnt it?
    We have some of the best things in the world, and what do people remember us for? A POET and a nasty beer that no one here drinks!

"There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by PattyV
    Thats about all you know about Australia isnt it?
    We have some of the best things in the world, and what do people remember us for? A POET and a nasty beer that no one here drinks!

You Aussies have some very fine wine which I hope to enjoy next year among a few other fine national treasures that I know of and hope to indulge in (and no I am not referring to beer or poets.)

We can beat any ole' frog when it comes to wine making. I went on a winery tour in the granite belt region. It was really interesting. And for some reason i prefer the taste of wine grapes to normal eating ones. Probably cause they are sweeter (well at least the ones i was eating off the vine were)

Forum Member

Did I forget to mention the very big rock?

Apologies.

They just dont make rocks like they used to anymore.

Is it too late to bring some entertainment to my night by convincing you that i rode to primary school in the pouch of a kangaroo?

Are they trying to say that Aussies do their best work lying down??!
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

Quote Originally Posted by martinm
    And standing up, and hanging from a ceiling, and sitting up.........Or so I am told by the Palm-a-Sutra.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by martinm

sounds like a reasonable assumption to me.

My wife is now 10 days overdue...
    Luke

Cheffy... did you notice what was written at the end of that article?
    Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters.
    Oooopsy...

Hey Luke... better get that curry on.. the hotter, the better... should do the trick!
    Anita Nesbitt - Chef Extraordinaire
    Never Forget The Brothers - 343 - 9.11.01 - Always in our hearts...
    Stay safe... you never know whats round the next corner
    Go Yankees... Derek Jeter rules!!!
    Go Penguins... Crosby 87... #1 Draft Pick '05

MembersZone Subscriber SteveDude's Avatar

The white people are having about 1 kid per couple and the muslims are having 3.
    Patty,
    sounds more like the UK than Germany...they are outnumbering us massively.... while a lot of couples can't afford to have kids due to the high cost of living...other "groups" are having them in 3's 4's 6's...anything they fancy.

Will the last person to leave our great Country turn off the lights and take down the Union flag!!!
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

'Irony'... It's a British thing.

Thread Information