Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Tanker Grant Narrative

Well, we have started trying to line out things for next years grant process and I think we have came to the conclusion that it's time to replace our tanker. I know that vehicles are less likely to be funded, but with 571,951 miles on her and the fact that it started out as a delivery truck that we mounted a tank on, I would say that it's due for replacement. It's only a 1984, but it's lead a hard life. We've had two fires in the past two years where we have had to take it out of service in the middle of the fire due to mechanical failures. We have just been fortunate that we have had other departments present to take up the slack until we could call another department to take our place.

So what I am looking for is narratives and any tips or pointers that you can provide in applying for a vehicle (specifically a tanker). I haven't written a grant for a vehicle yet so any pointers you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

If anyone would like to mail their tanker narrative to me you can send it to not2l84u2@charter.net

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Check my web site, there are a few vehicle narratives there you can check out. My research article holds a few tips and tricks if you haven't read that yet also.

- Brian
    Brian P. Vickers
    www.vickersconsultingservices.com
    Emergency Services Consulting
    Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
    Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er
    Check my web site, there are a few vehicle narratives there you can check out. My research article holds a few tips and tricks if you haven't read that yet also.

- Brian
    Been reading 'em. Always looking for more though

Haven't read the article though. Where is it at?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

In the MemberZone, which if you're not a member it's well worth the $2. And not for my stuff either, I just help raise money, the other guys help keep us safe.

Anywho, on the home page, click the Members Tab, and my ugly mug is the 3rd one down on the right. The Designing High Cost-Benefit Projects is #2, Grant Research was the first one, and #3 will be out shortly on Writing Narratives. #4 is still a blank piece of paper, and #5 thru ? is FAQs.

MembersZone Subscriber

Not2L8,
    my home FD's Tanker was a VERY similar situation to yours. We did SCBAs, TO Gear previous years and decided to go full speed ahead to replace an ancient Tanker with like 300 or 400K miles on it. Is an old 5000 gallon gas tanker converted over (done by the guys at the station in the 70's) to haul water. Needless to say the truck is over weight when even half full. (among MANY other problems).

It's very unsafe. No parts can be found, etc etc. Long story short. I did a ton of research on number of hours (days, weeks, months, etc.) out of service past year (also included info in notes on past 2 yrs) and cost of those services.

We applied for 05 AFG to replace the Tanker with new 2000 gallon Tanker. We were funded 1st Round!

So, my advice: Do your homework - NOW. Justify! And don't forget to mention the safety factors that are unique to your department and district...Good Luck!

-Alana

not2late4, if you only have 50,000 on that tanker in mileage I don't think it will happen for you. The defintion is older (20+ years) AND higher mileage ( read that to mean 100K). You have to meet both standards not just one or the other form my expereince. I am 11 for 11 on trucks this year and all 11 were over 100K and 23-25 yoa. Not trying to rain on your parade but, just tyring to give you benefit of the experience.

UGH, just saw I read the mileage wrong. Forget that last statement to you not2la8. I missed a digit or two in your total miles but for those that are considering trucks for 06 the message is still valid as far as trucks go.
    Last edited by ktb9780; 09-30-2005 at 06:33 PM.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

So I know you misread it originally, but do you think it's a viable option? I mean it's 21 years old (will be 22 by the time the grant comes around) and has over 570,000 miles.

Like I said, I know that vehicles are far more difficult to come by, but I'm not sure what else to look for this year. The tanker is by far our weakest link (other than staffing, but that's a whole other issue). We have been doing fund raisers on our own to replace our TO's and have got about 75% of the dept in new gear now. We have a washing machine for the gear, we have a TIC, gas detector, a decent training program, and we just got a grant this year for new SCBA's, compressor/fill station, etc. So as far as equipment I don't know what else there would be to go after for us (I'm sure I could come up with something but trying to be practical and work off of a needs list and not a wish list). We really do need to replace our tanker and we have been setting money aside each year out of the budget to replace it, but right now we're a far cry from where we would need to be. Although we might have more than the 5% matching funds that would be required. Would that be something to include in the narrative to help make it sound more appealing?

Just want to make sure that I'm on the right track here. Like I said, I know that vehicles are difficult and I want to make sure that we have everything lined up as best we can.

MembersZone Subscriber

Not2L8,
    That's what I like seeing as a grant writer...the fact you're doing it now. Working on it now, not waiting on it til March or April. AND that you're doing things such as setting aside some money for a match or to add funds for it. That was how we came up with going for the Tanker in the 2005 AFG. We went with the SCBAs & TOs first two years...those were a MUCH greater need and affected everyone. SAFETY first. Once your guys (and gals) are taken care of, then when you have an apparatus that is 20+ yrs old with that many miles on it and it's that unsafe, time to do something about it.

At least, that was our philosophy, and it worked for us. Planning, getting prices (don't go crazy), and alot of justification, you'll be fine. Remember, get the service records & totals spent on it. That helped us alot!

Good Luck!

PS: and keep Brian's email handy...FYI!

As always, thanks Alana...good to hear words of encouragement.

Well, while I'm asking for narratives, does anyone have specs for a tanker they care to share? I can always add and delete, but want to spend a little more time on our specs for the tanker than I did some of the others.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Don't worry too much about the smaller details. Pick chassis, pump size, tank size, number of seats w/SCBA, and some of the other "fancier" features like light towers, all LED emergency lighting, etc, etc. If it's just going to be a plain 2 door cab with either a small PTO pump or no pump, then there won't be too much to do on it. Tankers are easier because your chassis type and motor/tranny combo are dictated by the tank size. You don't need to send a 50 page spec identifying the location of each light. Hit the big parts, send that for ballpark pricing, then add a fudge factor of 3-5% for price increases. The more you specialize or name names in a spec, the fewer bids you will get, the more you end up paying in the long run because there's no competition anymore.

And on the app in general, if the tanker is your greatest need, then apply for it since you seem to have everything else covered. Vehicles are tough to get, but if it is your greatest need, then there's no sense in going for #2 in the list if that's not a program priority either, just to try and get some money.

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er
    Don't worry too much about the smaller details.
    Brian, do you ever take a day off?? It's Sunday. I can't help it I'm a fire geek and live in the forums, but you have a wife with one on the way, figured you would be enjoying the peace while you can...LoL

Thanks for the info though.

Any suggestions as to eliptical tankers Vs custom? Options we should look for? Here's some of the basic options I was looking at.

Single rear axle (shorter turning radius)
    2,000 - 2,500 gallons
    500 gpm pump
    quick dump access from rear, driver, and passenger side
    5” pre-piped fill access
    Two 3” storz fitting fill adapters
    Compartments
    Mounting brackets for porta-tanks (One 1,000 gal and One 2,000)
    Scene lighting

not2la84u2, Go for the truck! You have all the needed components to get that funded and as far as overmatching, I used that in 4 of the grants I did this year for trucks and it does work very well. It shows committment on the part of your department and the ability to ask for a "hand-up ,not a hand-out". Contact me offline and I can help you out with narratives. Oh, and by the way; being that it is only 4 days till deadline on FP&S I would expect Brian, Alana and myself are all burning weekend candles at both ends to get everyone complete and submitted in time. Its dedication to you guys safety that drives us! OK, and the money to pay for all these shoes my wife keeps buying ( Alana are you feeling my pain here?).
    Last edited by ktb9780; 10-02-2005 at 05:19 PM.
    Kurt Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780
    Oh, and by the way; being that it is only 4 days till deadline on FP&S I would expect Brian, Alana and myself are all burning weekend candles at both ends to get everyone complete and submitted in time. Its dedication to you guys safety that drives us! OK, and the money to pay for all these shoes my wife keeps buying ( Alana are you feeling my pain here?).
    OH yeah, forgot about the deadline quickly approaching. We didn't apply this year. Still trying to get $$ spent from last year. Should have the project completed by the end of this year.

I probably will be contacting you here in the next month or so and getting some advice.

MembersZone Subscriber

Kurt,
    Yes...am trying to work on several of the 5 or 6 FP I have going right now. Hopefully, should be able to submit at least one tomorrow or Tuesday. Two others are a little slack with the info, but you know how that goes! And, FYI - I haven't bought any new shoes in - well, at least since the summer! I need to buy some new clothes. Have been working out all summer and need a whole new wardrobe, which is always a good thing!

I am here when you need it. Dixie, could not resist that little jab. I ma actually finally doen after 12 horu sonthis today. I forgot all of them finalized today and sent off. Yahoo! Miller time!Hey you gonna come see me in Charlotte next week?
    Kurt Bradley

Yahoo! Miller time!
    At least you got good taste in beer!

well actually its Icehouse or Corona and JACK DANIELS if you please, in massive quantities!
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

Its the 5th and 6th, right? If I come down, would have to be for maybe a dinner...am still working in the afternoon (for now) Will explain more later.
    Let me know which day, if there is one that's better for you.

If it's W/TH, probably W - for me, just based on schedule. Let me know...

well actually its Icehouse or Corona and JACK DANIELS if you please, in massive quantities!
    I'm so disapointed now. Miller Lite and Jim Beam for me. And this new shot I had Friday night called a Washington Apple....OMG that was good.

Thread Information