Thread: 2006 Money

Forum Member

Smack dab in the middle of Central Illinois

Default 2006 Money

Has the '06 FIRE Act Grant money been appropriated yet? If not, we need to be calling our senators and congressmen to push for it. Each year they try to eliminate it and, when they are not successfull, it seems it has been getting whittled away at.

If it has been appropriated (and approved, I should add), how much?

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

It's in conference. If you go to www.thomas.loc.gov and look up HR 2360 (for which the fire grants fall into) you will find the details.

www.cfsi.org has info on contacting your representatives if you don't know the process.

From their website:

Although the bill funds DHS at a higher level than FY05, the bill reduces funding for several programs of importance to the fire service. The Assistance to Firefighters Grant Program (AFGP or FIRE Act) receives $575 million, $75 million less than in FY05. The State Homeland Security Grants (SHGP) receives $750 million, $350 million less than FY05. The Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response (SAFER) program received a slight increase and is funded at $75 million. In FY05, SAFER received $65 million. The bill also contains $1.215 billion for the Urban Area Security Initiative (UASI), compared $1.2 billion in FY05.

That info is from May, and I thought the Senate had played around with the numbers (bumping SAFER to $115 by taking $50 from AFG, but then they found another $50 from someone else's program to put back into AFG), I just can't find it right now.
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I need to go to thomas.loc.gov more often. Type in 'firefighters' and you find out about such things like a bill to allow volunteer firefighters to take a federal tax deduction each year, equivalent to the amount spent on PPE for that firefighter.

Although this is confusing: FIREFIGHTER ASSISTANCE GRANTS - Public Print Version

For necessary expenses for programs authorized by the Federal Fire Prevention and Control Act of 1974 (15 U.S.C. 2201 et seq.), $665,000,000, of which $500,000,000 shall be available to carry out section 33 (15 U.S.C. 2229) and $115,000,000 shall be available to carry out section 34 (15 U.S.C. 2229a) of such Act, to remain available until September 30, 2007: Provided, That not to exceed 5 percent of this amount shall be available for program administration: Provided further, That of the total amount provided, an additional $50,000,000 shall be available to carry out section 33 (15 U.S.C. 2229).

Almost seems like $550 million for AFG (including the FP portion) and $115 million for SAFER. $100 million less folks, the time to start beating on doors and ringing phones is long past. We need to get this funding back up to $750 for AFG, and make SAFER it's own $250 million. It's time for the fire service to speak up and market itself. I know we like to be stoic and think that we're just supposed to weather everything and not ask for help. After all, we're the fire department, we can't call for help. Wrong! We will continue to get walked on unless we speak up and demand to be heard.

MembersZone Subscriber

I still believe that before the bills are finalized and approved you will see the influence of New Orleans and Gulf States being addressed with an additional funding shot in the arm to AFGP. This is the only "general preparedness and recovery grant" for the Fire Services and I think the new FEMA director has yet to have been heard on this issue. Now we know that ole Mike Brown would have just been happy with status quo but, the former head of Miami Dade Fire is not about to let this go to a vote, until he gets heard on the matter and I don't beleive that Congress will want to suffer the "slings and arrows" of a constituency that is still reeling from the storms aftermath and destruction by reducing funding amounts to those on the front lines of these disasters.

Just my opinon and we all know what they say about opinons......
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Okay...

Sept. 30, 2005:

The Conference agreement for H.R. 2360, the FY2006 Homeland Sec. Appropriations bill, provides a total of $655 million for firefighter assistance, including $545 mill. for fire grants and $110 mill. for SAFER grants.
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Thread Information