Forum Member

Default hepl with gas monitors

My dept. is looking at buying a new gas monitor, the one we have seems to never work when we need it to and the sensors go bad sitting on the truck . Just wondering what other depts are using and any trouble with sensors. Include your dept name please. E-mail @ kbinkley1@triad.rr.com

Forum Member

We just received an Industrial Scientific M40, 4 gas. Very nice unit, it's only two days old so i'm still learning it and playing with it some, has some very nice features including an LEL sensor that will NOT burn out. Also has a printer and "receiver" you can buy separately that will calibrate, then printout cal. record, and/or bump with a printout record while also charging. Other nice feature is it has 50 hours of memory that is downloadable to a PC after a run. For example, if you run a CO alarm, find nothing on the monitor, go back, upload it, and it makes a record of every minute that the monitor was on, so if it so happens to go to court for some problem down the road, you're covered.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default gas monitoring SOG's

Looking for help in establishing SOG's for use of a " 4 Gas Monitor". We just got the Monitors, but looking for any help in establishing this SOG. These gas monitors will be used on "unknow orders and after structure fires" to clear any IDLH area of a structure. Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

We have two models on our trucks.

MembersZone Subscriber

We are currently have two models on our hazmat trucks. One is the Passport by MSA (i dont believe they make it anymore). The other is the Five Star by MSA. We haven't had any trouble with any of them, well except for user error. Of course you will need to change out the sensors every so often and keep in calibrated. But if you keep it up it will work perfect for you. Let me know if you have any other questions. St. John's County, FL

MembersZone Subscriber

We have 5 MSA Watchmans. Relatively inexpensive. Very easy to callobrate and durable. It is an older design and a little boxy but very, very dependable. We bought a Watchman and an Orion at the same time. The Orion is gone now, not user friendly.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default help with gas monitors

The most versitile monitor is the Multi-RAE. We have 8 of them. We also have the following, Cannonball 3, PPB Rae.

Forum Member

Thumbs up We use the Multiwarn II

We use the Multiwarn II .The unit has been user friendly and easy to use.

Multigas detection with IR Sensor

Multiwarn II is the most versatile and powerful Dräger multi-gas instrument. Compatible with more than 25 electrochemical sensors, two catalytical sensors for combustible gases and two infrared sensors. Multiwarn II is the ideal unit for monitoring toxic and combustable gases as well as oxygen deficiency or overflow in the ambient air.

Detects up to 5 gases continuously and simultaneously
    Intelligent "plug and play" electrochemical sensors
    Compact size
    Optional internal high performance pump
    Optional infrared sensor
    Optional data logger (50h)
    PC software "Gas Vision" for visualizing data
    Always a day late and a dollar short!

Hillbilly Irish!

Forum Member

I've used several "4-gas" monitors and the two I like best are the Industrial Scientific TMX 412 (kinda old) and the Multi RAE. Out of the two, I think the Multi RAE is a better monitor because it's set up like all the other RAE products (display, options, menu, etc) and because it can carry an extra sensor. I use it with the typical 4-gas and VOC. A lot of ground is covered with that combination. Basically, once you get the handling of the Multi RAE down, it's easier to move to other monitors if needed, like the PPB RAE, Mini RAE, area RAE, etc. It also has a lot of the features that were listed above for the Multiwarn. Either way, I think every dept. should consider using monitors equiped with PIDs.

I have found that the MSA's were further off when it came time for calibrating them (on an average).

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY099
    Looking for help in establishing SOG's for use of a " 4 Gas Monitor". We just got the Monitors, but looking for any help in establishing this SOG. These gas monitors will be used on "unknow orders and after structure fires" to clear any IDLH area of a structure. Thanks
    Randy, if you still need some help, shoot me an email fastgnx@trishield.com

Forum Member

We have many cgi monitors on our hazmat vehicle. We've had very good luck with the RAE products. Specifically the Q-rae and the Multi-rae. Easy to use and calibrate and change sensors. Another good one is the Sensit. We use it for methane. Will read in PPM or % of LEL. Drager is good but sometimes hard to read with the small read out. Check on ease of calibration and sensor change out if you do it yourself

Forum Member

Wink Gas detection

In reading your interest in gas detection. There are two main things about gas detection that Fire Fighters hate turning on a unit and the sensors don't work, and then trying to figure out how to replace the sensors, and then do general maintenance like calibration because most are so difficult to use. I would have you look at the Honeywell Impact pro. It is probably the easiest unit to calibrate and change the sensors on in the industry. The sensor technology allows you to do general maintenance in the fire house with no down time and a one button 90 second calibration with their enforcer calibration unit. General maintenance on most gas detection runs about 800-1000 dollars every two years because the sensors are $200 each. With their cartidge unit it is $220 dollars for all 4 sensors. It is pretty sweet the way it works and how easy it is. I happen to use the unit every day it really is durable and priced right. If you need any more info let me know.

Thread Information