Forum Member

Default the best gas monitor

My dept is looking for a new gas monitor, the one we have never seem to work when we need it to and the sensors go bad sitting on the truck. I was wanting to know what other depts. are using and how well your sensors hold up. e-mail at kbinkley1@triad.rr.com

Forum Member

We have the MSA multigas detector, it's good, we also have two different ones for CO, and a Sensit Gas detector for natural gas, we got it second hand from the local Natural Gas company.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
    Are you looking for a monitor or a meter? There is a little difference. However, I understand that RAE Systems are supposed to be the Cadilac of gas detection.
    http://www.raesystems.com/
    That said.
    Are you looking for a single gas or multi gas?
    Do you also want a PID sensor?
    What gases are you trying to monitor/meter?

It doesn't matter what meter you buy, the sensors need to be replaced on a regular basis, every year or two. Additionally, you need to calibrate the system once a month.
    You beat me to it. We have scrapped all our other units and now use strictly RAE units. They seem to be working well and have little to no problems with them. Other brands were breaking down on a regular basis.
    K-9 hunt, the ultimate challange.
    EVERYONE GOES HOME
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
    Are you looking for a monitor or a meter? There is a little difference. However, I understand that RAE Systems are supposed to be the Cadilac of gas detection.
    http://www.raesystems.com/
    That said.
    Are you looking for a single gas or multi gas?
    Do you also want a PID sensor?
    What gases are you trying to monitor/meter?

It doesn't matter what meter you buy, the sensors need to be replaced on a regular basis, every year or two. Additionally, you need to calibrate the system once a month.
    Most sensors rely on exposures to their respective chemicals to keep them functioning. Periodic bump tests and calibrations helps extend the life of any sensor, but they normally only last 1-2 years. I have had some last as long as 3 years but typically not longer.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

MembersZone Subscriber

I work for a Natural Gas utility in my area, and we use the Ultra - Trac, it's lightweight, pretty damn rugged, it will detect flammable gas as well as CO...
    All at the same time... (Actually most manufacturers will build your unit to suit, and even come in to demo thier equipment, before you buy.)

I like it, it has a flexible sensor, and a "recepticle" in the rear for a broom handle, for those hard to reach areas!.... Ugh....

We had Sensit come in and demo thier stuff for the gas company, they gave us a month to try various models, and I liked theirs as well, the sales rep was an ex gas briar himself, so he knew what was goin on.
    Giggity - Giggity!

Forum Member

Thumbs up Gas meter

We just bought the Entry RAE gas meter. It is 100 times better than the meter we had prior. This one also has a PID to detect a lot of other chemicals. The price was decent also. We dealt with a company out of New York 1st on Scene Fire & Emergency. They had a price on there web site but gave us a better deal.

Thread Information