MembersZone Subscriber

Default Information on ATV Response vehicle.

To anyone able to assist,

My department was granted monies through grants for the purchase of 2 ATV type vehicles to be used on our extensive network of trails in town. We have looked at the Gator 6 wheel vehicle and the Polaris 6x6. This vehicle is going to be use for patient transport. Does anyone have pictures of either vehicle and maybe some information on it? Any help would be much appreciated.

MembersZone Subscriber

TVFDT141-

Farmington and Canton both have just received the types of ATV's you are looking for. You might want to get give a call to either to take a look at them.

MembersZone Subscriber

You may want to take a look at Advantech. They make some specialized vehicles that may work out good for what you are looking for. I had a chance to look at them at the Ohio Chiefs conference. They are definately a well built rig. The one on display was built on a Polaris Ranger chassis.

Take a look at their website and give them a call at (740) 922-2727. Ask for Tom.

http://advantech911.com/asap.htm

Forum Member

We looked at both vendors that you mentioned and eventually purchased a Polaris mainly because of the clearance. The Gator is well built but we have an extensive marshy area in our district that most times is under a foot of water. We have crawled it through many areas on search and rescues when the water and muck were over the floorboards without getting stranded. A gator that showed up could not get quite as deep into it. If you are on dry trails for the most part, both will suit you well. Many builders out there are offering premade packages in various formats - Fire and or EMS type buildouts. Ours we did inhouse - tank/pump/hose skid we put together in house. We purchased a thing called a RescueBogin out of Canada I think for EMS rescues. This pull behind rig has interchangable undercarriges - wheels or skis - and pulls very easy. Just a few thoughts.

MembersZone Subscriber

http://www.argoatv.com

There's an Animal Control officer here who has one of these. His is an older model 6 wheel version and he has fabricated his own roll cage / rack system for it. The older body style didn't have the tubular style seat back - it is molded into the body and is the same height as the front & rear of the vehicle - this becomes important later. The rear portion of his rack system has two hinged sections that will flip down over the rear "seat" area making a flat cargo shelf. With this in place on the "passenger" side of the vehicle this shelf & the "snout" of the vehicle make a level / stable platform for a backboard or a stokes litter.

Unlike the ROPS offered by the Mfg now - his is square (4 upright posts) and has a cargo area above as well. Great place to carry extra stuff.

Now - I have been on 2 responses where he brought this vehicle to assist us and it was absolutely priceless.

Situation 1 - Hunter fallen from tree stand in woods along edge of grassy trail. In this situation I was actually able to access the scene in our Tahoe Response Unit and in all likelihood our 4WD ambulance probably could have made it in & out, however the ride quality for the Pt. would have been horrible. The pt. in question fell about 8AM and was not discovered until after 3PM. he had lain on the ground all day in 50-ish Deg F weather and Rain. He was c/o loss of feeling from roughly the bottom of his rib cage down - later found out he did have a spinal fracture (although I have since forgotten where). He was placed on a FBB and onto the Argo. The officer drove us out while I attended the Pt. from the rear seat area behind the operator. The extraction was slow, smooth and controlled even over some very rough ditches.

Situation 2 - Body removal. I was summoned as a member of our HTR team to assist game wardens and EMS crews with removing a deceased hunter from a tree. W/O all the details of the incident - post death he had fallen from his portable tree stand and was hanging roughly 20' off the ground by his safety strap. The tree was located on a steep (>60 Deg. slope) ridge accessible only by logging skidder trails. In this instance the Argo was loaded w/ the operator, myself, a steel stokes w/ roughly 150 lbs of rope gear and a 35' 3 section ladder strapped to the top. Several sheriffs deputies from the area had also arrived with their various ATV's. The Argo was the only vehicle able to drive right up to the top of the ridge and did so with well over 4 times the cargo of any of the ATV's.

I have ridden dirt bikes and ATV's for better than half of my life and I honestly believe that there is nothing on the market that will perform like the Argo. An ATV (or even the Gators) may be faster on the top end but that's about it.

FWIW - I do not in any way shape or form work for the Argo company or any affiliated company. I also do not stand to benefit in any way, shape, or form if you do or do not buy one of these vehicles.

Just passing along my experiences - good luck w/ your purchase no matter what you decide to go with.

Also - if you want to go really heavy duty - try one of these:
    http://centaur8x8.ca/
    Last edited by N2DFire; 09-30-2005 at 11:22 AM.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Temporarily/No Longer Active

The Chicago Fire Department just ordered a bunch of these from Alexis Fire Equipment:
    http://www.alexisfire.com/FireEquipm.../CubCadet.html

They are made by Cub Cadet but they are the same as a gator really. We were just there today for a pre-construction conference and got to see a few...pretty cool rigs.

Forum Member

I'm with one of the latter fire departments, yea we have the Polaris 6x6. Its red, enclosed cab, heater, winch...looking for a skid pack. A developer donated it to us after he finished a shopping center in town. It will come in handy hopefully on our rails to trails and the state forest. Like I said it was a donation, it wasnt something we were actually trying to purchase, but never turn down anything free. Its not in service yet mostly because we need a trailer and we lack a brush, pick up or any small truck in the department to pull it. Polaris has it all over the Gator in everyway
    Last edited by 2004F550; 10-01-2005 at 09:57 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

My department has an Argo 8x8 with the track option. This vehicle has rpoved itself time and time again. We have it set up as a multi-purpose vehicle. For brush fires, we have a 100gallon tank with a small pump on it. For patient removal we have a stokes basket mount on it. It can also perform LIGHT water rescue. This thing will get through just about anything.

http://www.geocities.com/montvillefi...10602883961079

Forum Member

I have a 4X2 cub cadet. It is good, but one down side that I have found is to ingage the rear traction lock, you must hold the lock handle up. once you release it, the differential lock is no longer ingaged. So you are doing all your steering with one hand while holding the differential lock with the other.

Forum Member
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber

The Gator is more suited to golf course work than to anything for which a FD is typically going to use such a vehicle. The US Army has used many Gators and while found to be EXTREMELY useful the Gators have been found to be on the lightduty/did not hold up well offroad.

Polaris has a much better reputation offroad. CUBCadet sure looks Gatorish but have never looked at one in detail (perhaps JohnDeere/Gator actually builds them?).

MembersZone Subscriber

A good source is www.rkoenterprises.com

The Polaris & the Kubota units are very well build and more heavy duty as noted in the previous posts.

Forum Member

We use the Bobcat version of this type of unit. We tried out the Kubota, J.D and the Bobcat - we went with the Bobcat because it seemed simpler - ( not that the others were difficult) we wanted a unit we could put a first responder in and with minimal training they could run the unit. We make it available to our mutual aid departments to borrow on a as needed basis for major events. We have a 50 gallon brush unit built by Elite power products for brush fires - the unit is set up for fast removal and can be replaced with a slide in unit that locks in a stokes basket with room for at least one attendent.
    We have used the unit on several calls and works well for both fire and EMS - the Bobcat is a auto 4X4 that senses wheel slip and engages the front axle as needed - with true 4x4 all wheels will pull if needed.

I will try to post pictures - if not email me and I will send photos.

Pictures show the brush unit

www.sblgfd.com

chief@sblgfd.com
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by SBLGFD; 10-21-2005 at 07:27 PM.

Forum Member

Exclamation

.................................................. .....REMOVED...................................
    Last edited by URBANCUSTOM06; 09-14-2006 at 10:40 PM. Reason: OFFENDED SOME USERS!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by URBANCUSTOM06
    check out www.urbancustomllc.com
    or call 973-702-3193

they build to suit your needs
    off of the chassis of your choosing
    many packages avalible or custom built

Gator / Mule / Rhino / Kubota / Cub Cadet / Bobcat
    Either my browser really sucks, or that website needs tons of work.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member
    On the flatest land around! (In central Il.)

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace
    Either my browser really sucks, or that website needs tons of work.
    I'm gonna go with the site needs tons of work. I just checked it out myself and, well, I can get more from a blank sheet of paper. Oh, I think this guy probably doesn't need help looking anymore since this thread was dead for almost a year.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by URBANCUSTOM06
    check out www.urbancustomllc.com
    or call 973-702-3193

they build to suit your needs
    off of the chassis of your choosing
    many packages avalible or custom built

Gator / Mule / Rhino / Kubota / Cub Cadet / Bobcat
    #1 - Don't you mean "WE build"?

#2 - No advertising

#3 - Don't dig up year old threads just to spam your company

#4 - You really should be embarrased posting that site. Even if I were looking to buy from an outfit like yours, that site alone would make me steer clear of yours in particular. It would make me think your products are as half-arsed as your site.

Default Terrator

Is anyone using the TerraTor buildup for the 6x6 Polaris? TerraTor makes an aluminum EMS body that can accommodate a Stokes litter or long board and has compartmentation under the platform for the litter as well as a rear-facing attendant seat next to it. It looks pretty good, but there's nothing like talking to someone who owns one...

Thread Information