tny
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default FDNY Muslim chaplain

BY CAROL EISENBERG
    STAFF WRITER

September 30, 2005

An imam slated to be sworn in Friday as the second Muslim chaplain in Fire Department history said he questioned whether 19 hijackers were responsible for the Sept. 11 terror attacks, and suggested a broader conspiracy may have brought down the Twin Towers and killed more than 2,700 people.

In a telephone interview Thursday, Imam Intikab Habib, 30, a native of Guyana who studied Islam in Saudi Arabia, said he doubted the United States government's official story blaming 19 hijackers associated with al-Quaida and Osama bin Laden.
    "I as an individual don't know who did the attacks," said Habib, 30, a soft-spoken man who immigrated to New York in July 2000 after spending six years in Saudi Arabia getting a degree in Islamic theology and law. "There are so many conflicting reports about it. I don't believe it was 19 ... hijackers who did those attacks."

Asked to elaborate on his reasons for doubting that story, he talked about video and news reports widely disseminated in the Muslim community.

"I've heard professionals say that nowhere ever in history did a steel building come down with fire alone," he said. "It takes two or three weeks to demolish a building like that. But it was pulled down in a couple of hours. Was it 19 hijackers who brought it down, or was it a conspiracy?"

Questioned about who he believed was responsible for the attacks, Habib said he didn't know. He said, however, that he did not expect to raise his doubts with rank-and-file firefighters -- nor did he share them two weeks ago when he participated in several Sept. 11 memorials on behalf of the Fire Department.

"My position as a chaplain is that whoever did it, it's a tragic incident," he said. "I feel sorrow for the families who lost loved ones and for the firefighters who died in it. Whoever did it, it was a very wrong thing. It's always wrong to take an innocent human life."

A spokesman for the Fire Department, Frank Gribbon, said that Habib was recommended by the department's Islamic Society and was hired "based on his credentials as a religious person. We don't ask new employees about their political views before we hire them."

Stephen Cassidy, president of the Uniformed Firefighters Association, could not be reached for comment.

Habib's remarks about the attacks came in response to questions about whether he thought firefighters would accept a chaplain who had been educated in Saudi Arabia.

He said he did not expect that to be an issue because "I come from a country where you're accustomed to living with people of different ethnic, religious and racial backgrounds."

When pressed further about whether the hijackers' backgrounds -- 15 of whom were Saudi -- might make his training an issue for still-grieving firefighters, he went on to express his own doubts about the hijacker story.

Habib was one of several imams recommended for the chaplain's job by the Islamic Society for the Fire Department, as a result of his work teaching junior high students at Al-Ihsan Academy in Ozone Park, a private Islamic school, where he worked for about five years.

"He's a good man," said Hakim Braxton, president of the Islamic Society. "Any statements he's made, he's responsible for ... But I would ask that the citizens of this city give him a chance and judge him on his actions."

Braxton also stressed that neither he nor anyone in the Islamic Society would agree with anyone who tried to justify the terror attack in any way. "I lost friends, family, co-workers," he said.

Braxton described Habib as a "humble, grounded and family man, which is a good thing in this job, because he's trying to help everyone and he's representing a very diverse community."

Habib himself said he saw his role as ministering to every member of the Fire Department, not just to Muslims.

"Being a chaplain in the Fire Department, I serve the whole Fire Department," he said.
    Copyright 2005 Newsday Inc.

I'm completely stumped ffffffffor words, maybe later after I catch my breath. WTF!

Stay Safe
    Last edited by tjsnys; 09-30-2005 at 09:24 AM.

Forum Member

IMO, I know in my heart how the buildings collapsed and so do all of us. He just has a conspiracy theory as do many Americans. The thing is he stated that it was wrong either way it happened. So whatís the problem? He is a chaplain not a detective and has a right to an opinion like all of us do. He was hired for a job to do and he stated thatís "Being a Chaplain for the whole fire department". So long as he can do his job.
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tjsnys
    I'm completely stumped ffffffffor words, maybe later after I catch my breath. WTF!
    Why are you "stumped for words"; what's the problem?
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tjsnys
    "I've heard professionals say that nowhere ever in history did a steel building come down with fire alone," he said. "It takes two or three weeks to demolish a building like that. But it was pulled down in a couple of hours. Was it 19 hijackers who brought it down, or was it a conspiracy?"
    Quote Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
    I don't see the problem. Am I missing something. The guy said he believes it was more than just the 19 hijackers. I'm sure there were other ground operatives and people in the background who were involved but never connected or caught. I think that is what he is saying.

No he is saying that the planes are NOT what took the towers down. He is probably one of those guys who thinks the CIA destroyed the towers with C4 and used the planes as a cover.
    Last edited by Skwerl530; 09-30-2005 at 11:12 AM.
    We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skwerl530
    No he is saying that the planes are NOT what took the towers down. He is probably one of those guys who thinks the CIA destroyed the towers with C4 and used the planes as a cover.
    We must not assume because you know what that makes us!
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

Forum Member

Don't even get me started on this idiot...I'll just say this, this clown says he has spoken with "experts" who have never heard of a steel building collapsing...HELLO...steel warps when it's exposed to high heat causing whatever is around it to fall down!!! It twists & warps & bends & goes BOOM...wonder if these "experts" ever heard of the 1978 Waldbaum's collapse (12 FDNY FF's/officers killed, bowstring truss roof I believe), the 1988 Hackensack Ford collapse (5 HFD FF's killed, bowstring truss roof again)...if a roof made of steel can warp, buckle & collapse from the heat of a fire consuming interior contents (in the above cases, groceries, paper goods, auto parts, etc.), then I would think that a structure made of steel truss framework (floors/ceilings from what I've heard the WTC was made of) burning on multiple floors with aviation grade fuel burning at temps that far exceeded those in the other collapses mentioned above would (and did) bring down a building that size.

I realize there may have been other factors that contributed to the collapse of those buildings that day but truth be told, we probably will never know...the evidence is long gone and the whole tragedy was of a magnitude no one could have ever fathomed.

What this guy said was just plain wrong...you don't "join" the largest FD in the country that experienced the largest LODD in fire service history and tell guys who lost friends, brothers (literally), fathers, best friends, etc. that the guys who were blatantly responsible for the incident weren't. THAT'S JUST WRONG...

I wouldn't envision seeing this guy staying around for too long...he's obviously not making any points by spewing this crap & I highly doubt he will be stopping into his local firehouse for a cup of joe to chew the fat (oh yeah, wait he's a Muslim...they don't eat pork)...

Simply unbelieveable that someone would even suggest this...you want a conspiracy theory, go read a book...

Just my 2 cents...as I've said before, it's my opinion..you don't have to agree with it but that's what makes this country great...we can have differring opinions without getting shot in the head for it...Stay Safe...

Forum Member

I dont know.....Trogan Horse what should we do?????

Forum Member

ETA: I heard he has resigned already.

I read many similar conspiracy theories on the internet when I was doing research on the WTC fires.

That is why I came to this site and asked questions in the investigation forum, I am glad I found you guys who know what you are talking about when it comes to fire & buildings.

It is interesting that the buildings fell mostly from fire and not impact, but there is a first time for everything of course, they are still learning about how fire affects things. You don't need to be an engineer to know it is possible, after all they put fireproofing on steel for this reason.
    Last edited by KemalT; 09-30-2005 at 11:54 AM.

tny
    MembersZone Subscriber

Intikab Habib, 30, a native of Guyana who studied Islam in Saudi Arabia, said he doubted the United States government's official story blaming 19 hijackers associated with al-Quaida and Osama bin Laden.
    There are many other Muslim Imamís (Congregation Leaders) who do not share his controversial views with regards to the attacks, (MURDER) -- who carried them out. He does have the right as a citizen to believe what he wants. However, he is now representing FDNY & City of NY as a Muslim Imam - Chaplin. IMOP, his statement is very insensitive to all who continue grieving their loss and he should have realized this at the outset and kept his conspiracy theory to himself. His statement does nothing to console, comfort or provide insight to those grieving their loss. He has only stirred the pot, which under these circumstances is something a Chaplin serving in his capacity should not be doing regardless of religious affiliation. He is the wrong man (Imam) for the job and his appointment is unfair to the families, membership and Muslim community.

After reading his statement do you really think the FDNY membership and families will embrace and seek him out for guidance & counseling? I can assure you, those close to me wonít.

BTW, if he were the Catholic Chaplin and made a similar statement Iíd have the exact same reaction.

Iím done.
    You guys (Trojan, Deputy & BFDNJFF)
    can continue on with your variation of colors in the sky. But today, from my vantage point, its clear sky-blue just the way it was four years ago on the second Tuesday of Sept.

Stay Safe
    Last edited by tjsnys; 09-30-2005 at 12:07 PM.

Some Guy

He is gone. He just quit.
    This space for rent

Forum Member

Exclamation

F L A S H

September 30, 2005
    FDNY Chaplain Resigns After Remarks About 9/11 Conspiracy Theory
    NEW YORK (AP) -- The fire department's Muslim chaplain abruptly resigned Friday after saying in a published interview that a conspiracy, not 19 al-Qaida hijackers, may have been responsible for the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.
    "It became clear to him that he would have difficulty functioning as an FDNY chaplain," Fire Commissioner Nicholas Scoppetta told reporters an hour before Imam Intikab Habib was to be officially sworn in. "There has been no prior indication that he held those views."
    Habib told Newsday that he was skeptical of the official version of the attack on the World Trade Center, which killed 343 members of the Fire Department of New York. The newspaper published the interview hours before the swearing-in ceremony Friday.
    "It takes two or three weeks to demolish a building like that. But it was pulled down in a couple of hours," Habib told the newspaper. "Was it 19 hijackers who brought it down, or was it a conspiracy?"
    The 30-year Guyana native joined the department as chaplain on Aug. 15 after the FDNY's Islamic Society recommended him for the part-time position, which pays $18,000 a year.
    Scoppetta said Habib, who was educated in Islamic law in Saudi Arabia and preaches at a New York mosque, had appeared qualified and passed a background check.
    "It's sad," said Kevin James, a spokesman for the Islamic Society of Fire Department Personnel. "We had no idea those were his views. He's entitled to his opinion but he's not the right person for the chaplain."

Every one is entitled to their opinion. BUT the slug made the wrong remarks in the wrong City. Good Bye, Donít come back!!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BFDNJFF
    So whatís the problem? He is a chaplain not a detective and has a right to an opinion like all of us do. He was hired for a job to do and he stated thatís "Being a Chaplain for the whole fire department". So long as he can do his job.
    The problem is that he is entitled to wear the dress uniform of the FDNY and attend FDNY functions and while doing so represents all of the members of the Department. I donít think he can do his job. Good riddance.
    A man has to have something to believe in & I believe I'll have another beer.

Forum Member

I don't see the problem. Am I missing something. The guy said he believes it was more than just the 19 hijackers. I'm sure there were other ground operatives and people in the background who were involved but never connected or caught. I think that is what he is saying.
    I think I'm missing something too. The way Trojan interpreted what he said was how I took it as well. Without assuming anything from his statement I don't understand the problem. Have there been other comments or actions of his that would lead to this assumption? I guess there's more to this story than just his one quote.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by emtbff927
    I think I'm missing something too. The way Trojan interpreted what he said was how I took it as well. Without assuming anything from his statement I don't understand the problem. Have there been other comments or actions of his that would lead to this assumption? I guess there's more to this story than just his one quote.
    Read the article; he is saying that the impact/fire could not have taken the towers down. Just search the internet, there are all kinds of conspiarcy theories out there about the towers saying that the fire didn't bring them down, and that they were blown up in a controlled demolition. He is clearly one of them.

I came to this forum in the first place doing research for a project on the WTC fires; I found most of the internet so filled with conspiracy nuts that it was useless. Trust me, his words match those of the conspiracy theorists I have read.

Forum Member

Cool

Originally Posted by BFDNJFF
    So whatís the problem? He is a chaplain not a detective and has a right to an opinion like all of us do. He was hired for a job to do and he stated thatís "Being a Chaplain for the whole fire department". So long as he can do his job.

Quote Originally Posted by jensam433
    The problem is that he is entitled to wear the dress uniform of the FDNY and attend FDNY functions and while doing so represents all of the members of the Department. I donít think he can do his job. Good riddance.

And he couldnt do that even if he had a different theory?Thats like saying if your not for the war then you must be for the enemy. No where did i see in the articles stated above that this man could not do his job properly. I didnt know that on applications one of the questions asked was do agree in what caused the towers to drop ?

Either way we will never know now due to resigning before he had a chance.
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

Forum Member

Either way we will never know now due to resigning before he had a chance.
    Thank goodness!!!!!!
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Read the article; he is saying that the impact/fire could not have taken the towers down. Just search the internet, there are all kinds of conspiarcy theories out there about the towers saying that the fire didn't bring them down, and that they were blown up in a controlled demolition. He is clearly one of them.
    okay, I didn't interpret it that way, but that makes sense. good riddance
    Last edited by emtbff927; 09-30-2005 at 04:22 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

IMO, I know in my heart how the buildings collapsed and so do all of us. He just has a conspiracy theory as do many Americans. The thing is he stated that it was wrong either way it happened. So whatís the problem? He is a chaplain not a detective and has a right to an opinion like all of us do. He was hired for a job to do and he stated thatís "Being a Chaplain for the whole fire department". So long as he can do his job.
    He absolutely has a right to his opinion.

He just doesn't have a right to be a FDNY Chaplain.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Firescueguy
    Don't even get me started on this idiot...I'll just say this, this clown says he has spoken with "experts" who have never heard of a steel building collapsing...HELLO...steel warps when it's exposed to high heat causing whatever is around it to fall down!!! It twists & warps & bends & goes BOOM...wonder if these "experts" ever heard of the 1978 Waldbaum's collapse (12 FDNY FF's/officers killed, bowstring truss roof I believe), the 1988 Hackensack Ford collapse (5 HFD FF's killed, bowstring truss roof again)...if a roof made of steel can warp, buckle & collapse from the heat of a fire consuming interior contents (in the above cases, groceries, paper goods, auto parts, etc.), then I would think that a structure made of steel truss framework (floors/ceilings from what I've heard the WTC was made of) burning on multiple floors with aviation grade fuel burning at temps that far exceeded those in the other collapses mentioned above would (and did) bring down a building that size.

I realize there may have been other factors that contributed to the collapse of those buildings that day but truth be told, we probably will never know...the evidence is long gone and the whole tragedy was of a magnitude no one could have ever fathomed.

What this guy said was just plain wrong...you don't "join" the largest FD in the country that experienced the largest LODD in fire service history and tell guys who lost friends, brothers (literally), fathers, best friends, etc. that the guys who were blatantly responsible for the incident weren't. THAT'S JUST WRONG...

I wouldn't envision seeing this guy staying around for too long...he's obviously not making any points by spewing this crap & I highly doubt he will be stopping into his local firehouse for a cup of joe to chew the fat (oh yeah, wait he's a Muslim...they don't eat pork)...

Simply unbelieveable that someone would even suggest this...you want a conspiracy theory, go read a book...

Just my 2 cents...as I've said before, it's my opinion..you don't have to agree with it but that's what makes this country great...we can have differring opinions without getting shot in the head for it...Stay Safe...
    What the hell do you know? The Imam talked to "experts", dammit!

Forum Member

NAH, NAH, NAH, NAH......HEY, HEY, HEY...GOODBYE"...good riddens habib...

George, don't even get me started...

Conspiracy theories aside, I am confident that the 71 "Virginians" (not virgins) that met each one of those 19 *********s when they arrived at Allah's door have already taken care of their "eternal bliss"..."hey boy, so y'all don't like Americans huh...I reckon we gonna have to git-r-done"...ah salami lickum Mohammed...POW (Batman sound effects)...

Just my 3 cents...Stay Safe...
    Last edited by Firescueguy; 09-30-2005 at 05:48 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jensam433
    And would have held the rank of Deputy Chief

Forum Member

Conspiracy theories aside, I am confident that the 71 "Virginians" (not virgins) that met each one of those 19 *********s when they arrived at Allah's door have already taken care of their "eternal bliss"..."hey boy, so y'all don't like Americans huh...I reckon we gonna have to git-r-done"...ah salami lickum Mohammed...POW (Batman sound effects)...

"Martyrs or Marines...who do you think will get he virgins?"

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Default Muslim chaplain quits FDNY

October 1, 2005 -- The Fire Department's Muslim chaplain abruptly resigned yesterday after saying that a conspiracy - not 19 Al Qaeda terrorists - may be responsible for the Sept. 11 attacks.
    "Look, I'm glad that he resigned," Mayor Bloomberg said, pledging to find out how Imam Intikab Habib's controversial views were not uncovered before he was hired six weeks ago.
    "This is not a person who should be representing a department that was devastated on 9/11 and answering their spiritual needs," Bloomberg said. "Resigning was the right thing to do. I'm glad he did it quickly."
    The soft-spoken Queens chaplain ignited an uproar when he said a conspiracy may have been behind the World Trade Center attacks that killed more than 2,700 people, among them 343 FDNY members.
    "I, as an individual, don't know who did the attacks," Habib, 30, told Newsday in yesterday's editions. "I don't believe it was 19 ... hijackers who did those attacks." "It takes two or three weeks to demolish a building like that. But it was pulled down in a couple of hours," he said. "Was it 19 hijackers who brought it down or was it a conspiracy?"
    The theory, popular in some Islamic circles, infuriated the FDNY's rank and file.
    "It is an embarrassment to every New York City firefighter and painful to the families of the 343 we lost on 9/11 that this fiasco took place," Uniformed Firefighters Association President Stephen Cassidy said.
    Fire Commissioner Nicholas Scoppetta announced Habib's resignation at FDNY headquarters, saying Habib had been nominated by the department's Islamic Society and passed a background check. "There has been no prior indication that he held those views," Scoppetta said.
    The Islamic Society withdrew its endorsement of Habib yesterday. The FDNY has a rabbi and seven Christian chaplains and will continue to search for a Muslim chaplain to fill the $18,000-a-year part-time job."I did not want to resign, but it was best for the department," Habib told reporters after stepping down.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

MembersZone Subscriber

You realize, of course, my post was dripping with sarcasm.

They got the Billy Bob routine up there because they misread the Koran. It said "Virginians" not "Virgins".

Forum Member

Default Well I am missing something.....

How did this guy get hired anyway? I am not meaning to knock the entire muslim religion, but how many muslims are on the FDNY. My first guess would be zero, but there may be a couple.

The point being, why did the trumpet blowers of the FDNY ever see it appropriate to hire a muslim "chaplin" for 10,000 catholics???

Is it just me??
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Thread Information