MembersZone Subscriber

Default Firefighter wanted to relocate!!!

Hey guys im a 13 year firefighter full time here in biloxi mississippi.
    Ready to relocate how tough is it to change states im looking at denver or
    charlote north carolina,nevada it seems all the fire dept. make you test cpat etc. you know the drill.Been a busy month down here on the gulf coast,its
    unreal what has happened here.Its a great thing to see all firefighters come together in such a crisis!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Denver Area

I'm not sure how easy it will be for you to transfer your certs over to Colorado. If you have an IFSAC accredited certification I think you may just have to take the written test to get it transfer over. Are you a paramedic? Most departments in Colorado are difinetly giving preference to paramedics, even thoughs people who do not have any fireground experience. Most departments in Colorado are ALS fire departments with many begining to if not all ready doing the transport side of EMS. If you are an EMT-B it will be more difficult to get a job, but not impossible. Colorado is seeing a lot of grow and fire deparments are continously hiring. Colorado is a great place to work with decent pay most FF/EMT's start out at 35-40K and most FF/Paramedics make 45-50K some more and some less. The best of luck to you, let me know if you have any more questions about FD's in Colorado.

MembersZone Subscriber

hey COFF1126, which department do you work for? I'm here in Colorado, i live in Denver right now. Im not on a department yet but im starting the process with South Metro right now, also gonna try Denver and Pueblo.

MembersZone Subscriber

Charlotte is a great place to work but you do have to go back through Rookie school. They will take your EMT if you have it provided you're up to date with your in-service hours. Next written test is March 11 2006. Any other questions email me at queencityfireman@yahoo.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Colorado FD

Hey IBQwerty21,
    I just got hired with Grand Junction Fire Department, before that I worked for a small combination fire department on the Western Slope. When I was in College I volunteered for a small combination department in Boulder County it was called Boulder Rural Fire Department. Great guys over there and a really good department to get on if you want to become a career guy, they really prepare you well. Out of the eight guys I went through the FF1 academy with 6 of us got career jobs within eights months of completing our academy. I have three buddies that work for South Metro. They love it, really busy lots of medical calls with good pay. I also have some buddies that work for North Metro, West Metro, Littleton, Thorton, Westminster, Boulder. You name it they're all over. It seems that every department in Colorado especially the front range pay pretty well. The best of luck to you with South Metro, I hire there written and Oral boards are really different than others around. Best of luck to you. Stay Safe.

MembersZone Subscriber

Congratulations getting on with Grand Junction, hope that works out well for you. Do you know specifically some of the differences with South Metro's written and orals ? THanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Default South Metro

IBQwerty 21, I don't want to give you any false information so I would suggest meeting with the guys at the station there. This is just what I have heard from some guys that went through their hiring process. The written was much like West Metro's written test. Much more advanced than other departments civil service test in regards to mathamatics and advanced sciences. I hear they have a lot of question on mechanical apptitude and physics based questions. Some of the guys said it was really easy others had a really hard time passing it. I guess if you pass the written though all the better chance of getting hired with fewer people passing the written portion of the process. As far as the Oral boards go, I hear they use some form of building blocks or something to that manner in order to test how you put things together. I hear it is impossible to create what they want you to, it's more how you handle something that abstract. Once again these are things I've heard through the grape vine, I can't vouch for these things first hand only what I heard. I would still recommend finding someone that just got hired and ask them how the process went. The best of luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks again for your help in the matter. The test is next week, so we'll see how it is ha ha. THanks again for talking with me, i'll tell ya how the test goes. Stay safe !

Thread Information