MembersZone Subscriber

Default Columbus, Ohio Fire Exam

The City of Columbus, Ohio is expected to give a fire exam sometime in the first six months of 2006. If you would like your name on a mailing list to inform of when the sign-up and exam will be given, e-mail your name, address and phone number to the e-mail below.

recruitment@columbus.gov

The Division of Columbus Fire has over 1500 fireman that operate and maintain: A Paramedic/Engine concept in which a trained, fully equipped paramedic is on every engine company.
    Full time, accredited Training Academy.
    Fire Alarm Dispatching Office handling over 136,000 calls a year.
    Hazardous Materials Response Team.
    The Bomb Squad is the Largest Non Department-of-Defense Bomb Squad in the U.S.
    32 Station Houses throughout the City Housing 34 Engines, 16 Ladders, 33 EMS (Advanced Life Support Transport Units) , 5 Heavy Rescues, 8 Rescue Boats.
    Full range of services including inspection, prevention, investigation and community based programs.

Division Headquarters
    Columbus Division of Fire

3675 Parsons Avenue.
    Columbus, Ohio 43207

Don McNea Fire School has conducted preparatory classes for the last six Columbus fire exams. We will be conducting classes once again for the upcoming exam. Go to www.fireprep.com and enter your e-mail address for our newsletter to be notified when classes will be held. Good luck !!

Brent Collins is an Assistant Fire Chief with the Cleveland Fire Department and President of Don McNea Fire School. Go to www.fireprep.com for more information on test taking strategy and advice.

You can find more on testing secrets by Chief Collins in the Career Article section from the Jobs drop down menu just above this posting.
    Last edited by dmfireschool; 10-02-2005 at 10:17 AM.

Forum Member

As of Jan of this year columbus will have over 200 guys that could retire, but the majority of the guys are expected to leave the fouth year of the drop. Columbus written test is pass/fail along with the physical. The rank on the list comes from what they call the B-pad test which is differant scenarios given via a vcr and a video recorder. There are 6 scenarios and your only graded on the last 4 which are recorded and then graded by a panel of random people. The physical is a joke. Good luck to all if you have any questions feel free to write.

MembersZone Subscriber

What does the physical consist of?

Does Columbus fire have Rescue Squads like Chicago, Cleveland, Boston?

Why is the academy 30 weeks? Is paramedic included in the training?

Forum Member

it consists of wearing a 40 pound vest getting on a stair machine and going on that for like 4 minutes or so, after every event you get a 4 min. break which you have to take. There is a hose drag through a tunnel system and a body drag through a tunnel it's very easy. The last part is using a cable crossover mach. one side you'll lift up and the other side you'll pull down . Currently columbus has 5 heavy rescue trucks and a few of the engines on the outlining company's have combination tools for exctication. 30 weeks in the T.A. is a very long time, unlike most cities we cover driving and tilling, pump hydraulic's, a saving your own class, but i do have to admit it could be shortened. Oh we also become cert. building inspectors which is the woarse class in the world. It's all well worth it, with are current contract fire/medic's are making well over 60,000 a year not bad for working 2 days a week

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by columbusfire
    it consists of wearing a 40 pound vest getting on a stair machine and going on that for like 4 minutes or so, after every event you get a 4 min. break which you have to take. There is a hose drag through a tunnel system and a body drag through a tunnel it's very easy. The last part is using a cable crossover mach. one side you'll lift up and the other side you'll pull down . Currently columbus has 5 heavy rescue trucks and a few of the engines on the outlining company's have combination tools for exctication. 30 weeks in the T.A. is a very long time, unlike most cities we cover driving and tilling, pump hydraulic's, a saving your own class, but i do have to admit it could be shortened. Oh we also become cert. building inspectors which is the woarse class in the world. It's all well worth it, with are current contract fire/medic's are making well over 60,000 a year not bad for working 2 days a week

What scedule do you guys work? (How many days / year)
    Are all rigs staffed w/ at least 4 guys?

Forum Member

we have a 1,2,3 unit shift 24 on 48 off we have a 48 hr work week which means we get 17 kelly days a year. i'm on a kelly week right now i got of friday at 8 am and don't work until wed. of this week . I have another kelly day on the 23 i believe. as for staffing it's 3 guy min. from 8 to 20:00 and 4 from 20:00 to 8 am for ladders and engines... rescue is at least 3 at all times and 2 guys on the medic. Every engine has a medic on it at all times with all the supplies.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by columbusfire
    we have a 1,2,3 unit shift 24 on 48 off we have a 48 hr work week which means we get 17 kelly days a year. i'm on a kelly week right now i got of friday at 8 am and don't work until wed. of this week . I have another kelly day on the 23 i believe. as for staffing it's 3 guy min. from 8 to 20:00 and 4 from 20:00 to 8 am for ladders and engines... rescue is at least 3 at all times and 2 guys on the medic. Every engine has a medic on it at all times with all the supplies.
    What does the 1,2,3 unit shift mean?

Do medics rotate between suppression apparatus and ambulance, or how does it work?

Thank you.

Forum Member

Is there any shot if i dont have residency? OR vet status

Forum Member

there are currently i believe around 800 medics in the city, some stations have a better rotation than others. After six years your eligible to drop your card, but it's all done on senority.If it was not for ems we would probally only have 900 or so on the department not the 1530 that we do. The 1,2,3 units are the shifts, most places call then a,b,c, shift. Yes it is possible to get hired without vet points i did, but it makes a big diff. I was 80 something on the list and a friend with the same score with vet points was 21. There is no residency points thank god because i moved here for the job.

MembersZone Subscriber

Now are you ineligable if you are not a medic, and also are there any prequisites.

Forum Member

http://www.fire.ci.columbus.oh.us/
    http://www.csc.columbus.gov/Pages/Un..._entry_faq.asp
    no it's not required to be a medic ..... check out the sites above should answer all your questions

MembersZone Subscriber

Copyright © 2000
    City of Columbus
    All rights reserved.
    Questions? Comments?

our address:

Division Headquarters
    Columbus Division of Fire

3675 Parsons Avenue.
    Columbus, Ohio 43207

E-Mail Us

Recruitment
    Linking Policy
    Privacy Policy

Becoming a Firefighter
    Selection ProcessRecruitment Office Location
    Station # 1
    300 N.4th St.
    Columbus, Ohio 43215
    614-645-6387

Columbus Civil Service Commission

Selection Process

Step 1. Application

You must be a U.S. citizen and have a valid motor vehicle operators license. Civil Service will notify you of the time and place to report for your examination (s).

Veterans Information

If you have served on active military for more than 180 days in the armed forces (other than the Reserves or National Guard) and have been discharged or released from the military under honorable conditions, you may be eligible for veteran's preference points. At the time of filing your application, you must submit an original DD Form 214 and/or Award Letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Step 2. Written & Physical Capability Testing

The written examination and the endurance test will be conducted under the direction of the Columbus Municipal Civil Service Commission. Only those applicants who pass the exam will be ranked and proceed to the next step.

Step 3. Background Investigation

A personal history questionnaire will be required from each candidate along with a pre-interview, picture, polygraph and fingerprints. Candidates will also sign waivers allowing the Background Officer to conduct an extensive background investigation. At this time the candidate must submit a high school diploma or G.E.D. You may contact the Background Investigations Unit at (614) 645-3008

Step 4. Oral Interview

The candidate will be required to go before an Oral Interview Board consisting of department representatives. The board will make a recommendation to the Director of Public Safety. The Safety Director will select candidates for conditional appointment.

Step 5. Medical/Stress Examination

This step will involve a physical examination and a cardiovascular stress test. Candidates must be free of dependence and addiction to narcotics, alcohol or other controlled substances.

Step 6. Selection

The top firefighter candidate names will be submitted to the Safety Director for final selection and appointment to the Department of Public Safety, Division of Fire, based on Civil Service certification. Applicants who have been appointed will be required to successfully complete approximately thirty weeks of paid training when they enter to Columbus Fire Academy. After the applicant completes the selection process and has been accepted, he or she must live in Franklin County or one of the counties that border Franklin County. All appointees will be required to successfully complete a one year probationary period from the date of appointment. Effective June 1, 1998 all new fire recruits may be required to obtain/maintain an Emergency Medical Technician - Paramedic (EMT-P) certification during their term of employment as deemed by the fire chief.

Firefighter Entry Level Examination Information

When are applications being accepted?
    What can I do NOW to prepare?
    What is the testing process for Columbus Firefighter?
    Is a career in the Fire Service right for me?
    What if I still have questions?

When are applications being accepted?

The next projected examination is 2006. Applications will be accepted at that time, generally for a two-week period.

What are the minimum requirements to be a Columbus Firefighter?

At least 17 Ĺ years of age.
    A current citizen of the United States.
    Possess a current, valid Driverís License.
    You must meet each of the three requirements above to be minimally qualified to take the Firefighter Entry-Level Examination.

Note: Applicants must be 18 years of age, possess a high school diploma or GED, and possess a current, valid Ohio Driverís License at time of appointment.

What can I do NOW to prepare?

Register with the Civil Service Commission, OR Fire Recruiting so that you will be notified by mail when applications are accepted.

What is the testing process for Columbus Firefighter?

The Civil Service Commission administers an examination to create an eligible list of qualified applicants for the classification of Firefighter. From this eligible list, the Division of Fire can hire individuals who are approved via the background investigation and who pass the appropriate medical standards. The Columbus Civil Service Commission Firefighter Entry-Level Examination consists of three phases:

Phase Examination

1 Multiple-Choice

2 Physical Capabilities Test

3 Oral Examination

Only those candidates who receive passing scores on all phases of the examination process will be placed on the eligible list. (Stated phases of the examination are as of 2002 Ė subject to change without notice)

Is a career in the Fire Service right for me?

When considering a career in the Fire Service, many people immediately focus on the risks involved. However, a career in the Fire Service is both challenging and rewarding. The City of Columbus, Division of Fire has an extensive three-year Journeymen Firefighter program that prepares men and women for the challenges an emergency situation involves. The Division of Fire has a strong focus on the initial training as well as continuing education of fire personnel, which gives the City of Columbus one of the best Fire Divisions in the Country. This training, the teamwork, and trust in your fellow firefighters are all the tools necessary for this level of responsibility.

Focus should be placed on protecting the health and safety of others, which provides personal rewards that are immeasurable. In addition, the flexible schedule allows for valuable quality time with friends and family, and other interests. Prior fire experience is NOT required, so if you are ready for a rewarding career that will provide life-long skills and continue to be a challenge, please consider this career!

What if I still have questions?

For more information about becoming a Firefighter, or other employment with the City of Columbus, contact Civil Service at (614) 645-0879.

Brent Collins is an Assistant Fire Chief with the Cleveland Fire Department and President of Don McNea Fire School. Go to www.fireprep.com for more information on test taking strategy and advice.

You can find more on testing secrets by Chief Collins in the Career Article section from the Jobs drop down menu just above this posting.
    Last edited by dmfireschool; 10-10-2005 at 10:31 AM.

Forum Member

Does Coumbus see much fire. I know that every city has it's hot-spots, but can anyone out there give some comparables or stats? Also what is the pay scale like?

Forum Member

columbus does get there fair share of fires, but this is not the 60's, 70's when everything was burnung. Most of are runs are ems about 80 something percent just like everyone else in the country.Ems = job sercurity. The pay scale is good down here with are new comtract firefighter tops out at like 55,000 a fire/medic tops out at 61,500. i don't have my contract in front of me so i'm might be plus or minus a few hundred bucks. On top of that we have a 48 work week which means 17 kelly days a year, 700 clothing allowence which is money in your pocket because the city get's you everything you need, longevity pay after 5 years, phyical fittness bounce level III is 600 a year. After you build up your sick time the city buys it from you at the end of the year for example you have 750 hours and above the city pays you for 120 hours. The sick time buy back, clothing allowence all paid in a lump sum in jan. It's good money for working two days a week, plus with a large city that is still growing plans for 2 more firehouses in the next few years you can go or go anywhere you want in the city(arson, background,training ect....) anywhere from the ghetto to out in the middle of nowwhere where the wheels don't turn

MembersZone Subscriber

Is there anything I can do now to prepare myself for the written test for Columbus?

MembersZone Subscriber

Are you required to spend time on a medic unit? Is there the possibility of overtime? Are there any bonus points for having been on a paid department and being a journeyman firefighter? The people who become the fourth firefighter at 2000 what do they do until then?

Forum Member

The only bonus points you get is for military 5 pt.s Yes is there is overtime avb. but they are going to balance the number of medics between the three units (workshift 24 on 48 off) There is what we call speical duty ex. osu football, b-ball, concerts, arena football, hockey ect. that is 33 per hour ...some spots for ff but mostly medics. The rule of 4 on after 20:00 and three before is that company business can get done! hydrants, building inspections. For example i was getting ce hours for my p-card at the training complex...three on the truck untill i got back. The rumors are fling around that the class for this year is canned about 99.9 true. THere are like some 200 guys that could retire at anytime...most are waiting for the fourth year of the drop jan of 06. That means the city needs to get there Sh*t together, so there should be a big hire off the next list...we are already understaffed as it is, there are usally about 5000 that take the test . If your a medic in the city your put in the rotation some days on the bus and others riding the truck. It's 6 years then you can possibly drop your p card. It's 8% for being a medic

MembersZone Subscriber

Is there preference given to medics? Also, is there a list somewhere of what all physical skills are tested for the exam?

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey Columbusfire send me and email What station are you at?
    Last edited by Matt45; 08-23-2007 at 03:38 PM.

Forum Member

Anyone have any luck with civil service manuals or preparatory manuals from the library. (Columbusfire what station do you work at.)

Forum Member

Don't currently have a home in the city...i float all over i've work at staitions, 2,8,15,21,19,12,17,19,11,27,34,22. I've been able to see a lotof the city this way. I might bid on something on the next list, i would like to get to Batt. 3 which are stations 7,13,16,18. That stuff from the libarary does not work for columbus, there written is pass/fail and it's so easy it's insaulting a monkey could pass it

MembersZone Subscriber

Recruitment Office Location
    Station # 1
    300 N.4th St.
    Columbus, Ohio 43215

Annual Salary (June 1, 2005 - Dec. 1, 2005) Step A $34,361.60
    Step B $36,088.00
    Step C $37,918.40
    Step D $45,260.80
    Step E $52,624.00

Health & Life Insurance The City will provide all full time employees with comprehensive major medical insurance, prescription drug, vision care, dental plan, and life insurance. Eligibility for insurance begins on the 1st day of the month following date of hire. Exception: Vision and dental insurance effective after 1 year continuous service. A pre-existing condition clause exists. If medical care or consultation is received within 6 months prior to the effective date coverage, the medical conditions will not be payable for 12 months from effective date with the city.
    Paid Holidays 12 1/2 paid holidays per year
    Vacation Time Approximately 2 weeks per year for first 3 years; advances in stages up to 5 weeks after 20 years service.
    Paid Sick Leave 7 1/2 days for first 3 years; 10 1/2 days thereafter.
    Service Credit Paid annually starting 8th year of service.
    Clothing & Equipment Allowance Uniforms, equipment and maintenance.
    College Tuition Reimbursement Job related courses after 1 year continuous service
    Additional Benefits Deferred Compensation Program
    Credit Union membership
    Promotion eligibility after 5 years as a Firefighter

Retirement The Police and Fire Pension Fund allows retirement after 25 years of service at age 48

www.fireprep.com
    www.firemanemtparamedic.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone have any luck with civil service manuals or preparatory manuals from the library. (Columbus fire what station do you work at.)

Reply:

The last exam consisted of a multiple choice exam covering the following testing subjects. Some items on the exam came from a study guide that was given out.

1. Memorization/Recall

2. Mathematics and logic reasoning

3. Map reading and following directions

4. Reading comprehension

There was also a psychological exam that was part of the written exam that was called "The work style inventory" The study guide that was given to the applicants stated "the work styles questionnaire will be scored and your score will determine your continued eligibility in the examination process" This is where over 50% of the applicants failed. The students that attended our last Columbus prep seminar had a passing rate of 96%.

www.fireprep.com
    www.firemanEMTParamedic.com

Forum Member

to dmfiredschool

I don't have much time on the department yet so right now i float around
    Batt.1 which consists station 1,2,8, and 25. THe written test is pass/fail your ranking comes from a B-pad test. The class of 25 was canned for this year, but the 5 year plan is to build 2 new stations and hire 2 recruit classes a year of around 25-35 guys, but with the drop who knows what could happen.

Forum Member

Thanks Columbusfire and dmfireschool for the posts and answers to questions. I have entered my email for the newsletter for the exam prep and also my address at Columbus FD website. Hope this helps out in the process. I live about 2 hours east of Columbus on the OH River. Working PT at fire houses for the last two years is getting old, can't wait to get full time in Columbus somewhere. Again thanks for the help and anymore would be greatly appreciated by all I am sure.

Thread Information