MembersZone Subscriber

Question Your diet before they physical test.

Hi, today i decided to practice running some stairs with a hose pack on my shoulder. Earlier today I had pizza for luch. when finsihed running up 7 flights of stairs I felt Like I was going to throw up ( I suppose it doesnt help that I have a wicked cold right now). This has happened to me before with other physical tests, it seems no matter what I eat I feel nausiated after the physical. What would you guys or girls suggest for a diet the day of the test and the day before. I know the day before your supposed to eat a lot of carbs and drink lots of water.

also how much time would you recommend eating before the test, Would rou suggest eating a candybar or somthing high in sugar right before the test?

thanks for your help.

Cpt. Common Sents

do not eat a candybar right before. you might process the sugar to quick if you eat to early and burn out durring the test, or you could eat to late and never have it take efffect.

What I ate before my Cpat was just 2 high protien granola bars about hour and a half before test, only drank water that day also, no pop,coffee(diaretic)
    day before I did carb load and I think that it helped, had large breakfast, desent sized high protien and carb lunch and a small-med sizedcarb load dinner.
    The next morning,when I got up to take my cpats I felt like a million bucks.

If you dont want granola just stick with something that is not heavy, greasey, diary,
    I have a sensitive stomach so whenever I am going to be on a road trip or have to do something strenous where I cannot get away for a while I just eat turkey sandwich, no lettuce, tomatoe, mayo, bacon, nothing, just turkey, bread

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Golzy12:diet before test

If you have a cold, you might have had some amount of post nasal drip. This can irritate your stomach and make you nauseated. Stay away from dairy for a few days before your test. This will decrease your mucus production.

Pizza is very heavy, grease filled, and on the acidic side. None of that is good. Stay away from it when you need to train.

You are right about what to eat the day before. I would eat non-processed carbs, though: brown rice, and lots of lightly cooked vegetables. Also eat lean protein (chicken?).

What time of day is your test?
    This is important:

If it is early morning: Get up 2 hours before the test.
    Right away, eat an apple, or a pear, or 1/4 of a cantaloupe or honey dew. Do not substitute other fruit.
    Also eat a couple of hard boiled egg whites. No yellows.
    Drink some warm liquid. This should help you go #2, so you'll be on the lighter side.

Your stomach should empty from all this by the time you get to the test. On the way to the test, in the car, drink some more water and have another piece of fresh fruit (the above mentioned only).

Urinate when you get there... you'll be better off empty.

If the test is around noon, get up at 8, Do the above, but add a protein bar to the early morning meal.

If the test is in the afternoon, plug a protein bar (or 2 if you are a big person) into your plan for lunch. This should clear your stomach in time if you eat it about 2 hours before game time. Still eat the fruit on the way to the test.

FYI: I chose these fruits because they are low on the glycemic index. That means they will not cause a post sugar crash like alot of other fruits: like strawberries, watermelon, peaches and such. Instead they will give a more sustained release of energy.

More questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Dr. Jen

www.fireagility.com
    Last edited by Drjmilus; 10-04-2005 at 03:14 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

thanks for the replys a lot of good info. Maybe you guys can help me with antoher physical test related problem. when I finish the physical test, the back of my throat is really, almost to the point where it activates my gag reflex, what can I do to stop this from happening?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Physical/gag

You are feeling that way because you have not trained hard enough for what you are expecting yourself to do in the time you want to do it. You need to train specifically for the test so it becomes second nature to you.

Dr. Jen
    www.fireagility.com

MembersZone Subscriber

so your saying if I train to the point where mt throat is completely dry eventually it will quit happening, or eventually I will get use to it?

MembersZone Subscriber

Sorry, I was unclear what you were asking before. You forgot the word dry in describing your throat. (I'm not the typist either).
    Now: Dry means you are not drinking enough water... either during the day or during your workouts. 6-8 glasses a day. Gagging is different. When you push yourself past your limit, your mouth will water, you feel like you need to spit... and like you might throw up. That is because you have had to push past your limit... have not trained hard enough for the task at hand/how hard you are pushing yourself.
    I hope that's more clear!?

Dr. Jen
    www.fireagility.com
    Last edited by Drjmilus; 10-04-2005 at 03:17 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

When I was getting ready for my PAT to get into the police academy, I carb loaded the night before with a bunch of pasta and for breakfast had a relatively light meal that was high in carbs, oatmeal was main dish if I remember correctly. I also drank a ton of water and gatoraide the night before to ensure I was properly hydrated which is something you should be doing anyways. This along with a good night sleep before the test and you should be good to go.

Thread Information