Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Uniform Question

Our basic Work Uniform is that of most departments across the Country. Dark Navy {Shirts / Pants} -- We're also issued Badges and Name Plates. My question is are the badges safe ?

Badges and Name Plates do present a professional image to the uniform but is it safe especially when 80% of our workload involves EMS ? I've herd that some patients will grab for the badges which causes a hazzard or potential violent individuals will mistake you for the police {Our County Officers wear Brown and the State Troopers wear blue} I've personally never had a problem and our County Paramedics Wear brighter Blue Shirts than we do and aside from badges and name bars they also display thier service awards / pins.
    And yes every once in a great while we'll actually get a fire ...Again I've never had a problem but have herd that burn injuries can occur from the badges and bars through the gear. If that's the case I'd think it's time for new gear but just wondering.

Just wondering if embroidery is better as opposed to all the "heavy metal" ?

Default my 3 cents worth..Captains have to pay a little more!

I have been doing "da job" for 23+ years, and not once have I ever had a violent patient ( and I have had a few of that variety!) make a grab for the badge. If they did, it is secure , so they would rip the shirt first, which would be followed by one very peed off Captain!

As far as the badge and a fire situation... if the fire is hot enough to cause the badge on your shirt to heat up through the outer shell and thermal layers of your bunker gear, then just maybe it is time to get the hell outta Dodge and go defensive!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

I worked as an EMT in NYC for 4 years.....when I started I wore a badge....BiG mistake...!!!! I found that in an urban setting w/ a large pop. of immigrents....that a badge means YOUR A COP......and most people are not responsive to the Po-Po....my first partner..(from the hood himself) taught me TONS about the inner city and how to deal with the peeps.....basically..what I evolved into was a "ghetto superstar", no badge, no threat, and NOOOO identedy..........the only thing that mattered was that the "white boy" was there to help...and establishing the fact that I HAD NOTHING to do with the poll-eece...was major factor......On a few occations I worked with details from "nice" parts of NYC....they would come to "Da' hood" on OT...wearing a bulletproof vest, 6 cell mag light, and armour underwear......I would say....just what I needed....a cop buff that's gunna' get me killed.....after a loooooong chat and a few runs.....I would get them to see the light and get the accustom to the ghetto....were respect and confidence get you furthore then BS and bulleteproof vests.....Just my opinion...from Da' Hood.......but that's only less then 10% of the nation......

Stay Safe.....

Vinnie....the Ghetto Veteran ...coming to a shooting near you....lol! Thank God...not anymore......
    Last edited by VinnieB; 10-04-2005 at 08:12 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BD6413
    Our basic Work Uniform is that of most departments across the Country. Dark Navy {Shirts / Pants} -- We're also issued Badges and Name Plates. My question is are the badges safe ?

Badges and Name Plates do present a professional image to the uniform but is it safe especially when 80% of our workload involves EMS ? I've herd that some patients will grab for the badges which causes a hazzard or potential violent individuals will mistake you for the police {Our County Officers wear Brown and the State Troopers wear blue} I've personally never had a problem and our County Paramedics Wear brighter Blue Shirts than we do and aside from badges and name bars they also display thier service awards / pins.
    And yes every once in a great while we'll actually get a fire ...Again I've never had a problem but have herd that burn injuries can occur from the badges and bars through the gear. If that's the case I'd think it's time for new gear but just wondering.

Just wondering if embroidery is better as opposed to all the "heavy metal" ?
    We just wear blue pants and t-shirts. No badges, no name tags, nothing...
    The less the "public" knows - the better!

Quote Originally Posted by VinnieB
    were respect and confidence get you furthore then BS and bulleteproof vests.....
    LOL! I just re-read what I wrote.....I should Trade Mark that phrase!......(*****pats self on back*****)

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

We have traditional badges and brass for our dress uniforms in my volly department, but being an on-call department we wouldn't be wearing them responding to calls (happened only once, when we responded to an MVA right after leaving our annual banquet).

We do have coveralls for medical responses, but names and such are embroidered.

In my paid job (industrial FF/EMT) we changed a few years ago from badges 'n brass to embroidered names and patches. We had a small patch designed in the same layout, shape, and size as our old badges, and that is sewed on where the badge traditionally would go. Beats having to pin on all that brass every morning, and it still looks more professional than T-shirts or polo shirts.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream ó and I hope you don't find this too crazy ó is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    ó C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Oh man...I keep forgeting that the rest of the country is not the Ghetto....basically.....if you work in white suburbia...then the flash and gleam of badges and brass make those people feel better....b/c to them you look like you know what your doing....virtually by the power of presence....I for one have only worked in Ghettos or some really mean streets.......were badges and brass will get you zapped.....some tough Mutha F'in hoods.....and if you walk into a house wearing all that regalia....they would A) Not let you in and B) Not respect you simply b/c you look like a cop......

In white suburbia....wear what you want....gleam and glitz your hearts content....suburbia is easily fooled by apperance.....

In Da' hood.....show up with respect and confidence.....they can smell you commin'.....so you better bring your game w/ too......image...if you look like an ubertrooper...be prepared to be treated like one.....but if you look like a "normal joe" and OOOOOZE confidence......be prepared to be treated like one bad Mutha'......

Good Luck.......

ps I prefer to work in the worst Ghetto there is.....I signed on fro this Sh*t to do this Sh*t.....not relax in some camp,,,,,,

Stay Safe....

Vinnie......

Quote Originally Posted by VinnieB
    ps I prefer to work in the worst Ghetto there is.....I signed on fro this Sh*t to do this Sh*t.....not relax in some camp,,,,,,
    Well, my FD is far from any hoods. But, when I work my PT job on the county taxi (aka ambulance) I always try and go "southside". MUCH more interesting.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Guys riding the trucks have never worn badges on their uniform shirts, and several years ago went to cloth badges for duty jackets.
    Currently, only the office people wear badges and brass. the rest of us have embroideried(sp) insignias, names, ranks, etc. on our duty shirts. Even our winter jackets now are cloth badges and name strips.
    I always preferred not having the badge on, because I didn't want to look like Law Enforcement. But now we see the cops wearing cloth badges as often as not, so I guess we are in no better of a situation.

MembersZone Subscriber
    No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

Me personally, I don't think that badges, name plates and collar pins are really necessary for our work. (except bars for da boss) People get us confused with cops, and I personally don't want anyone knowing my name, unless they need it. Da PoPo in RI don't even wear nameplates, they 1" badge numbers on a ribbon board on the right side of the chest. A few depts in my area have chiefs that are sticklers for all the paegentry, but can't do it when the bell tips. My dept. uniform policy is simple, navy blue 100% cotton pants non pleated or BDU, Navy Blue polo shirt with union logo or patch, or any dept t-shirt. Simple.
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

MembersZone Subscriber

I was just mentioning to one of my co-workers this morning how I thought we should switch from our normal badges and nameplates to embroidered badges and name tags. As firefighters, I don't think we need all the fancy shiney stuff except for when we're in class A's. As far as problems with the badges go, I've never had a problem with anyone grabbing for it or getting burnt by it.

Never had anyone grab for my badge. Been muddy, cruddy and a little bit bloody but the badge never got in my way. I have a harder time keeping that stupid laminated company ID clipped to my uniform shirt than anything to do with the metal badge on my shirt.
    Steve
    EMT/Security Officer

Thread Information