Forum Member

Default April 1, 2006 Firefighter Safety Seminar

Northwood Firefighters Association

Presents

First Annual Firefighter Safety Seminar

April 1st, 2006 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM

Northwood High School 700 Lemoyne Rd. Northwood, OH

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scheduled Presentations:

Morning Session-
    Accountability-Fact or Fiction (2 Hours)
    Mike Smith, Deputy Chief (ret.) District of Columbia Fire & Rescue
    Each year 100 firefighters are killed on the fireground. This presentation will demonstrate how to cut that figure significantly. It will involve all of the facets of safe fireground behaviors. A must for all members and ranks of the fire service.

Engine Company Operations, Are You Safe On the Line? (2 Hours)
    Robert "Butch" Cobb, Battalion Chief Jersey City, NJ FD
    Engine company operations on the fire ground sounds simple enough; stretch some lines and aim a stream of water at the fire. This seminar examines the important tactical objectives of the engine company. Successful engine company operations begin with size up, not only for the officer but for all members of the crew. A method of assisting the 1st due engine company utilizing a simple "Information Gathering System" is discussed. Are light weight truss construction, energy efficient windows and older buildings "yellow flags" in your size up? Find out why they should be. Correct size up will determine initial tactics and strategy and will set in motion the "incident game plan". The engine company's rescue plan will also be discussed. Chief Cobb's Presentation will take you through the components and skills that make a successful engine company stand out on the fireground.

Afternoon Session-

Firefighter Close Calls, Injury and Death Prevention: Applying the Required Courage to Effect the Needed Changes (4 Hours)
    Chief Billy Goldfeder, E.F.O., Firehouse Magazine Columnist "CLOSE CALLS", Battalion Chief-Loveland Symmes, OH FD

Chief Billy Goldfeder presents a multimedia presentation reviewing fireground events and most specifically, the LESSONS LEARNED so that these incidents (and those involved) donít ever become forgotten. This high energy, direct, frank and professionally and respectfully presented program provides the attendees an excellent opportunity to learn how to EFFECT CHANGE at their own departments when returning home...by learning about the tragic events that OTHER FD's have gone through...so they donít happen again! Change is NEVER easy and the "it wonít happen here" attitude is amongst numerous warning signs that it is "just a matter of time" until something bad occurs. This program will provide attendees with ideas and examples to positively effect changeó potentially saving "their own" firefighters' lives. The program will also focus hard on the relationship between the fire officer and the issues of being "liked" vs. the ability of the fire officer to do the job... and send their firefighters home to their loved ones-alive and well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Come in town the night before and join us at the

Glass City FOOLS Brotherhood Bash

Friday, March 31st 7:00 PM - 12:00 Midnight

Sleep Inn Hospitality Room

1761 Meijer Circle
    Oregon, OH 43616

Seminar Info: northwoodfireseminar@hotmail.com

Brotherhood Bash Info: glasscityfools@bex.net

More info will be posted soon!
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Do I need to e-mail you my snail mail address to get on a mailing list for this one???
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMedic
    Do I need to e-mail you my snail mail address to get on a mailing list for this one???
    Do you know if your FD is on the mailing list for the BGSU State Fire School in Bowling Green, OH? If you are on the list, we should be sending one out to your department. If not, or you are not sure you can email it to me or to the email address list in the original post and we will make sure we get one to you or your FD.

We are planning on sending it out to everyone on the BGSU list and also the Lifeflight list...... I thinkk maybe the NOVFA list, also
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

Hey this sounds pretty cool...think I'll be there
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

We are on the State Fire School list (heck, I used to help teach up there..). When should I be looking for the notice to show up?
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMedic
    We are on the State Fire School list (heck, I used to help teach up there..). When should I be looking for the notice to show up?
    I was just there this past weekend for the instructor class.......

We have a meeting tomorrow (I guess Today, actually) and I will check to see when they are getting sent out.......
    IACOJ

Disillusioned Subscriber

I've got an Excel file of the contact info for every Ohio FD if you want it. You should be able to sort it by county if you want to target a certain region for your mailing. It'll work for mail merge to print labels as well.
    Last edited by Steamer; 10-13-2005 at 03:06 AM.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Forum Member

thanks Steamer .....................I think I will make it there ...........they gonna have dead monkeys, crepes and whatnot ?
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Disillusioned Subscriber

If you want that file, Weruj, PM me your e-mail, and I'll get it out to you.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Forum Member

Default Something smells funny here

What is that brown stuff on the stairs?????

Forum Member

Steamer, thanks but we got the list of the FD's in Ohio already. Everyone should be getting postcards in the next couple weeks. They should get mailed out by the end of next week.......
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steamer
    I've got an Excel file of the contact info for every Ohio FD if you want it. You should be able to sort it by county if you want to target a certain region for your mailing. It'll work for mail merge to print labels as well.
    Heck... I'd like to have that for our annual Regional Fire School mailings....
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

MembersZone Subscriber

Here is the link for the seminar brochure and registration form

http://www.glasscityfools.org/seminar.html

Border Patrol

*BUMP*

3 outstanding speakers and a catered lunch for only $55...You're not gonna find that anywhere else in NW Ohio!

"Size Up: When to Say NO!"
    Mike Smith, Deputy Chief (ret.) District of Columbia Fire & Rescue

"Are You Safe On the Line?"
    Robert "Butch" Cobb, Deputy Chief Jersey City, NJ FD

"Firefighters Scared Straight"
    Billy Goldfeder, E.F.O., Firehouse Magazine Columnist "CLOSE CALLS", Deputy Chief-Loveland Symmes, OH FD
    "The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor." - Vince Lombardi

Forum Member

Moe.........submitted my schooling request today ...............uhmmmmmm do I sitll need to register or can one of you nice people PEN me in >?
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?

Border Patrol

Axe your dispatch cohort there...and tell him to tx me when he has some time
    "The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor." - Vince Lombardi

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Weruj1
    Moe.........submitted my schooling request today ...............uhmmmmmm do I sitll need to register or can one of you nice people PEN me in >?
    You still need to register........ Or try talking to 109.......
    IACOJ

Forum Member

**bump** Get your registrations in..........
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

Border Patrol

Exclamation

Brothers and Sisters,

If you are able to attend, please sign up for the Northwood seminar by
    Monday, March 20th.

The cost is only $55.00 which is much less than many
    comparable seminars.

It is a rare opportunity to have 3 outstanding
    nationally known presenters in this area but unfortunately because of the
    low number of registrants, NFD is considering canceling the seminar.

I have been told that the go/no go decision will be made Tuesday morning at 10 AM so if you have been considering attending and have put it off please
    register or send an e-mail to northwoodfireseminar@hotmail.com or call Chief
    Tom Pack at 419-690-1647 by tomorrow evening (3/20/06)

MembersZone Subscriber

The seminar is a GO!!!! We still hope to get more registrants. I don't think you can beat the price for these top notch speakers.

Forum Member

I am still TRULY disappointed that this was not a sell out. I appreciate all your hard work.
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

Forum Member

How did it go???
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Jake ...went well ........always glad to meet the good people of the region........Billy Gee just rocks in my opinion !
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Weruj1
    Jake ...went well ........always glad to meet the good people of the region........Billy Gee just rocks in my opinion !

When I first heard of the seminar, I wanted to see if I could go, but I ended up having a jampacked Sat. I read alot from firefighterclosecalls.com and alot of Billy G.'s stuff. What did he talk about???
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Save the date........... March 31st for the 2nd Annual Northwood Firefighter Safety Seminar.........
    IACOJ

Thread Information