Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Personal Advice

Forum Member

Default Personal Advice

Hey All,
    I have spent the last 4 years of my life or so getting into the technology world and computers, so there hasnt been a lot of physical work to be done and I am just realizing now this is not the work for me. Its too lazy. I need physical work. I was a volunteer fire fighter in BC for a small department in the kootenays for 7 years, joining when I was 15. Now that I am almost 27 years old and havent really done anything in regards to a career, im re-living the days of being a volunteer fire fighter and wondered if maybe this is the physically demanding job that I need. I really enjoyed my time as a volunteer before relocating to Calgary, Alberta, ending my volunteer time in BC. I enjoyed being able to help people as well as save lives and property.

I am curious to know if I am too late in life to get physically fit again and become a full time fire fighter as a career. Anyone have any suggestions for someone in my position who wants to get into fire fighting full time? What would you do if you were in my shoes wanting to get out of a job where you sit on your butt all day? Also looking for good excersizing tips for getting back into shape. Thanks ahead of time for your responses. I look forward to hearing thoughts from other fire fighters. Feel free to email me responses as well... woakus@dragunsrealm.ca

James G

MembersZone Subscriber

Well here's my opinion for what's it worth. At 27 yrs old your not even close to being old! If your looking at getting on full time in Calgary I think that's a good idea. I would start by going to a local gym. If you have no idea what to do once you get there they usually have physical trainers for hire and they can show you what to do depending what your goals are. If you are planning on getting on full time, go to the City of Calgary web site and go to the fire dept section and under recruitment it will tell you what the qualifications are. There may be more than just the fitness end of things you need to work on or training you may need to obtain. I worked with a guy last year who is 38 yrs old, he was a volly for approx 5 yrs. He applied for Edmonton fire and he placed 5th overall out of 450-500 applicants. So age should be no excuse. I hope I was of some help, good luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Careers

I don't think it is ever too late to get into shape. I know of guys getting hired in their 40's. If you are really serious about this career than dont waste any time. Give a 110 % with getting in shape and taking courses to get the job. It took me 5 years and about $30,000 worth of education and courses to get the job. It is definitely the best job in the world hands-down. It is worth every penny. It is nice being on the inside looking out.

james, it might be an idea to arrange a ride along (or talk to some of the guys) in Calgary before making such a decision, having been a volunteer firefighter does not necissarily prepare you for a career in the fire service
    A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

Thread Information