Forum Member

Exclamation Station Alert Systems

Our department is looking for an alert system to go into our station. We already have one but it doesnt get the job done at night. We were interested in finding a buzzer like the old Station 51 from EMERGENCY. Does anyone have any info on this?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by siggy3212
    Our department is looking for an alert system to go into our station. We already have one but it doesnt get the job done at night. We were interested in finding a buzzer like the old Station 51 from EMERGENCY. Does anyone have any info on this?

What you are looking for is a Claxton Horn.

There are others that are better and not as earth shaking as this.
    OUTSTANDING

Make It Happen

Never forget 9-11-2001
    343 Brothers Who Were MURDERED!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by siggy3212
    OMG! Stay away from thoese things. Instant cardiac arrest if your standing under it when it goes off.

What kind of radios do you have? Perhaps the company has something that will fit your need. I know our Motorolas have multiple, built-in alerts.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

I like the way some FDNY stations had it on a show I saw once. They had a loud horn, but prior to the horn going off, a funny voice said " Engine, Ladder".
    I think it was loud enough to wake you up, and get your attention so then you would be expecting the horn, and the cardiac issue can be avoided.
    There goes the neighborhood.

Forum Member

hey, we have a motorola cdm750. we are currently using a little blue box attatched to it that i believe was used to activate the old outside siren. There are no markings on it so I have no idea what the model is. I have researched Klaxon buzzers. They sent me to GE corporation. They advised me that those buzzers are intended for a telephone signal. So, I don't know if this will work. I'm kinda lost now. Thanks for your reply!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rossco
    I like the way some FDNY stations had it on a show I saw once. They had a loud horn, but prior to the horn going off, a funny voice said " Engine, Ladder".
    I think it was loud enough to wake you up, and get your attention so then you would be expecting the horn, and the cardiac issue can be avoided.
    Yes... Yes it is. It is also a little weird to hear a female voice in an all male house waking you up!
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Forum Member

I just joined the vollies in Rockland County, NY....I come from Orange County, NY.....they just about have the same tones as that silly show.....I don;t know if aliens are attacking or if a run is being transmitted....

MembersZone Subscriber

ours has an initial tone quickly followed by the tone that is specific for each station. So when it goes out, you freeze and say something come on station 2 or whatever station your not at. At night time, the pre alert goes away and you just get awoken... hopefully. Our newer stations now have lights that come on at night. Now those will give you a heart attack

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Cool Well?......................

Does your Alerting system use a printer to deliver a hard copy of the call info? If so, you can do a whole lot of stuff like we do here. For instance; our alert tone for the Ambulance is a large crowd clapping, the tone for the Brush Unit is a AmtraK Train horn, The Engine goes out to the sound of Willie Nelson singing "On the road again......... You get the idea..................
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Do you want a fully complient NFPA supervised alerting system, or just something to get the job done efficiantly?

Are you toned out over the air? Many mobile radios support two-tone or DTMF paging and have an external alarm output. You can use that to drive a relay to drive a buzzer and light or something.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

You can always pinout a Minitor 2 with amplified charger to a 3.5 volt (NM, whats the voltage again?) relay, and have that relay control your bells, whistles, lights,...etc.

I think that with the amplified charger, it can be setup that the relay stays "on" until the pager is reset. It could be done either way, just a little bit of extra circuitry...
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

You would need an amplified charger that has the accessory connector. Not all of them have it. If it DOES have the connector, they are dry relay contact rated for a small number of amps. You hook up your own power supply and drive a bigger relay with it.

There is either a jumper or seperate connection for auto-reset after 10 seconds and reset upon pushing reset.

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods
    The Engine goes out to the sound of Willie Nelson singing "On the road again......... You get the idea..................
    ROFLMFAO!!

Perhaps a more appropriate alert for the ambulance would be a recorded voice calling "taxi, taxi".
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Oh you can do all kinds of interesting things with the $9.00 digital voice storage project kit from Radio Shack. If the buzzer doesn't work, you can have it scream "HEY YOU LAZY SLUG, GET YOUR *** OUT OF BED FOR ANOTHER BS AUTO ALARM AT 3AM!"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire
    Do you want a fully complient NFPA supervised alerting system, or just something to get the job done efficiantly?

Are you toned out over the air? Many mobile radios support two-tone or DTMF paging and have an external alarm output. You can use that to drive a relay to drive a buzzer and light or something.
    nmfire - we are looking for similar. We are in the process of doing an addition and want to add an alerting system. We are toned over the air so I would need something that would be tripped like our pagers are. We are looking for some sort of escalating audible tone alert and possible visual(lights, etc) followed by a voice message.

Any thoughts given that info? Like some specifics I could start looking at as we jsut finished approving the architect floorplan/footprint of the building now its on to mechanicals and detail stuff for the prints so I would need to know what you think we should look for at this point as far as wiring to include, etc

MembersZone Subscriber

I researched this topic for my former EMS agency.
    There are actually several Alert Reciver Devices on the market.

Federal Signal - Informer
    http://www.federalwarningsystems.com....php?prodid=25

Whelen - VA300
    http://www.whelen.com/pb/outdoor/11126.pdf

WSI - OnAlert
    http://www.warningsystems.com/

ASC - TAR-900
    http://www.americansignal.com/produc...lert_radio.php

Veetronix 2TR9A
    http://www.veetronix.com/page19.html

If I remember correctly it was veetronix that had the best features for cost.

The thing to look for is a relay output option (or remote switched output) on these boxes. with that - you can make it activate anything you like.

Ours was going to be set up w/ a speaker in the bay, one in the day room and 1 each in the mens & womens bunk rooms.

The bay & day room speakers would be "always on" so we could monitor the chanel traffic and the bunkroom speakers would be run through the RSO so that they would only have audio when the alert was tripped.

The Squad I run with now has a similar set-up to this (not sure of brand) and trust me - you are not gonna sleep through it unless you're dead.

Best of luck with your hunt - just remember you can go as simple or fancy as you want but frills = $$ so shop with your budget in mind.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

IACOJ BOD

The Engine goes out to the sound of Willie Nelson singing "On the road again
    A couple of other choices for you Harve.

AC-DC: Hells Bells
    Bachman Turner Overdrive:Takin' Care of Business
    Billy Joel: We Didn't Start the Fire
    Blues Image: Ride Captain Ride
    MC Hammer: You Canít Touch This
    R.E.O. Speed Wagon: Time For Me To Fly
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Permanently Removed

What ever you get, I hope it sounds professional vs. cheap and "slapped together."

Forum Member

A Motorola CDM750 or CDM1250 will do the job nicely. It is very flexible with call-alerting. The radio is only about $500 and does all of this out of the box.

Configure the channel with your frequency, PL/DPL, and Quick-Call II tones. Take the audio output and feed it into an amplifier that goes to your PA speakers in the building. This is how you will get the radio audio and the alert noise booming over the speakers.

Program the 'external alarm' to activate on the tones. Set the alert tone volume for +15 or so, this makes the beeping nice and loud. Set the "Escalert" to on which will make the alert tone start soft and get louder which should prevent sudden heart attacks. You can then select an alert tone. There are I think 6 different beeping types, just pick whichever one you like best. There is an automatic or manual reset timer which you chose. This is what will keep it silent until alerted and generate the alert tones to get your attention.

This will accomplish the "bell/buzzer" and radio PA in one shot. If you want to trigger an external device (lights, sirens, bells, etc) you'll need to do the following: Set one of the accessory pins for "External Alarm Output". You can choose an auto-reset timer for whatever works best for you. You can have it automaticly shut up after a minute or so or you can have it be a manual reset. It's up to you. Use the external alarm output to drive a relay or contact closure on an X10 module to control other bells or truck bay lights.

Thats all there is to it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire
    Thats all there is to it.
    Oh yeah that's all?!?!?! Actually the scarey part is I think it is. Now I just have to go to my radio vendor and get one. Doesn't sound nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

Any connection restrictions/recommendations for connecting to PA system(RCA connectors ??) or can any form of connector be used as long as it is compatible with the hardware on each end? Keep in mind we don't have the PA system yet so I have opportunities to actually do this right!
    Last edited by FFTrainer; 10-05-2005 at 04:13 PM.

Thread Information