Forum Member

Default FDNY Medical Exam

How ya doing?

I have an inquiry, which is specific to the FDNY medical exam.
    I took the written and physical tests a couple years ago, and finally got called for my interview over the summer. I've since been told that my medical and physcological exams will be coming up this month and if I'm clear I'll be heading to the academy in January or March. I wear contact lenses and have been told that you can't get in with corrective lenses by an investigator, however when I call the FDNY medical office one person tells me that I'm fine and then another tells me you have to get lasik surgery. Does anyone in the FDNY medical office know what is going on? Also there were guys in my CFRD class who wore glasses and got in no problem. Does it all depend on how the Doctor feels that day? I've been waiting for 4 years and no where in any of the paper work does it say you can't get in with glasses. Does anyone have any info on this? It would be much appreaciated as I think it's unfair that they string you along for years and fail to mention this until the very end.

Sorry for the rant

Thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY78
    How ya doing?

I have an inquiry, which is specific to the FDNY medical exam.
    I took the written and physical tests a couple years ago, and finally got called for my interview over the summer. I've since been told that my medical and physcological exams will be coming up this month and if I'm clear I'll be heading to the academy in January or March. I wear contact lenses and have been told that you can't get in with corrective lenses by an investigator, however when I call the FDNY medical office one person tells me that I'm fine and then another tells me you have to get lasik surgery. Does anyone in the FDNY medical office know what is going on? Also there were guys in my CFRD class who wore glasses and got in no problem. Does it all depend on how the Doctor feels that day? I've been waiting for 4 years and no where in any of the paper work does it say you can't get in with glasses. Does anyone have any info on this? It would be much appreaciated as I think it's unfair that they string you along for years and fail to mention this until the very end.

Sorry for the rant

Thanks

errrrr.....I am a FDNY Fireman and I wear glasses.....the BIG thing is that you can PASS the eye test without the aide of corrective glasses. I work with 60 men......15 wear glasses.....but we can all pass the eye test. I know MANY guys who got the lasiks......if your eyes are bad enough.....GET THE LASISK......if you want the job.

Good Luck.

Forum Member

I forgot......if you want the job bad enough.....you'll DO what you have to to get it. The Dept is made up of 11000 guys who have a very commpetitive drive, and did what they had to get hired. And once on the drive never stops.....if goes from...passing the meds, to graduating PFS, to making the fire floor, and roof.........its the BEST job in the world.....do what you need to, to get hired........if you want it THAT bad,,,,,,you'll do what's neccessary and you'll get it......

Good Luck....

Vinnie.....

Forum Member

I couldn't have said it better Vinnie

I got the job from the West suburbs of Chicago. There are several guys that get it from out of state.

It all boils down to how much you are willing to put out to get the job. If you give 110% from the get go (the hiring process) until you retire, you will have no problem.
    Good Luck, Stay Low & Stay Safe

Nate DeMarse
    Co-Owner, Brotherhood Instructors, LLC.
    http://brotherhoodinstructors.com
    Facebook Users: Join us here
    -------------------------------
    GET IN THE JOB, BE A STUDENT OF THE JOB!

Forum Member

Thanks guys. I intend to do whatever I can to get on and if it includes Lasiks, then so be it. My eyes aren't that bad to begin with. I'm a bit near sighted, a little blurry after 3 feet. I'm just concerend cause I really want this job.

Thanks again

-Chris

Forum Member

Take the test without lasiks, if you pass great, if not they will just tell you that you need to get lasiks or they will boot you. Dont sweat it.

Forum Member

Default fdny medical advice

Whats up guys I have my medical In a week or so and I have something alittle scary going on ..I rolled my ankle yesterday working out and im afraid it will not be healed in time for the 8minute stairmaster ( my second go at it )...any advice on the best course of action and if I cant go what will be the outcome. ..thanks

Thread Information