MembersZone Subscriber

Default volunteer FF looking to go career

I have been a volunteer FF for over a year and love it. I have decieded that I want to make a career of it. I have my FF1, FF2, First Responder, Fire Cause Determination/Investigation, Emergency Response Driving, and am a certified Open Water Scuba Diver. Does anybody have any pointers or suggestions on where to go next? I have heard you can get a job for the Department of Defense. Any input would be appreciated.

Cpt. Common Sents

Smile

depending on your state, your certs dont mean anything. I have the certs for a Capt. in NY but I just got a job in MD and non of my certs transfer.
    Start with just looking for companies that are hiring, and then look for one that are hiring in the area that you want to be in. THen decide which tests you can go to. I turned down an interview in Charlotte for the CPATs in MD.
    It is a very very very long process. you will think they forgot about you but most likely they didnt. I took my exam in Sept 04 I believe and will start academy in mid oct of this year. SO It took over a year and 4 Trips from NY to MD to get the job. Persistance pays off. And boy will you be paying if the company you go for is not close!!good luck, long process, well worth it though!!!

Cpt. Common Sents

Smile

depending on your state, your certs dont mean anything. I have the certs for a Capt. in NY but I just got a job in MD and non of my certs transfer.
    Start with just looking for companies that are hiring, and then look for one that are hiring in the area that you want to be in. THen decide which tests you can go to. I turned down an interview in Charlotte for the CPATs in MD.
    It is a very very very long process. you will think they forgot about you but most likely they didnt. I took my exam in Sept 04 I believe and will start academy in mid oct of this year. SO It took over a year and 4 Trips from NY to MD to get the job. Persistance pays off. And boy will you be paying if the company you go for is not close!!good luck, long process, well worth it though!!!

Thread Information