Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Fireground Tricks of the Trade.....

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Another Trick...

When cutting a commercial garage door (aluminum sheeted or slats) make (3) cuts. The 1st cut goes vertical (high to low), 2nd cut is a small triangle cut at the bottom of the vertical cut (allows you to cut the bottom rail of the vertical cut) and the 3rd cut goes at shoulder height horizontally. Takes as much time as a "Tee-pee Cut" and opens the door all the way open.

Use the Halligan or the Pick-Headed Axe to make entry into a sectional residential garage door. Make a hole and then grab the line that disconnects the door from the lifter. I recommend the Halligan since the pick can be used and the adze end makes the hole bigger and then grab the line with the forked end and twist the tool. The line will catch between the forks and pull, releasin the door.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

MembersZone Subscriber

For those of us that drive or respond to extreme differences in elevations; chew gum while driving or riding. Not quite sure how it works, but it does. Works well for flying in aircraft also.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Forum Member

Bump.......

Quote Originally Posted by erics99 View Post
    Good tips Vinnie. Gotta love them women firefighters . Anyway, got any tips for the good ol Halligan? My tool of choice, great for overhualing and obviously forcible entry. For lath and plaster walls I like to drive the pike into the wall, tilt up, and pull the lath and plaster off the studs when intitially opening up.

As for 2 1/2s, if only two guys available, have the second guy pin the line to the ground if static, beats having the 2nd guy holding the line and trying to put his weight into it.

When advancing a line, don't get yourself between the turn and the hoseline.
    A haligan good for over-haul?......I would rather use a commercial water key over a haligan. A haligan belongs married to a flat head for forcible entry. Thats it. Thats just my personal pref.
    "....train as if your life depends on it, because one day it could.."
    .....Leather Head N6A
    Tillerman..... The best job in the FD!!!

Forum Member

try using a cip saw for garage doors, make the "L" cut and shove a halligan under the bottom to give you enough space to finish the last of the cut. Try it sometime, it has worked well for me.
    ?

Forum Member

Oh and make you a starting point with the pike of the halligan wallowed out.
    ?

MembersZone Subscriber

Regarding the fine particulate glass in the air topic that was brought-up, I've seen FDs that use shaving cream to stop this from occurring. How they've done it is, spray the cream and then use a reciprocating saw to cut the windshield. It seems to work for them.

If I'm gonna work on a 2 1/2" for awhile, I'll "Q" it up (exposure loop) and sit on it with my legs crossed and place the hose line on the side hard rubber of my boots. It's never failed me, and requires no additional equipment. For lateral movement I'll attach a 1" tubular webbing to the hose using a larks foot and then take the large loop and put it around me. To raise all I have to do is lean back.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

Residential garage doors.....

To open a residential garage door, make a hole with the point of the halligan, make the hole bigger by using the adze end and then still the forked in inside and slide it over the manual release for the door. Twist the halligan and it frees the door from the garage door opener's lifting mechanism.

MembersZone Subscriber

Door chocks...

The next time you cut a lock, keep it. I have one that I keep in my turnout jacket and have used it numerous times to keep a door open. It works a couple of ways: 1) Turn the metal locking part that you cut and slide it over the hinges, turn the lock flat and the door will only close as thick as the lock is 2) For metal doors, flip the metal locking part (hooked part) over the top of the door and either the hooked part or the lock itself will come in contact with the jamb and hold the door.

Another use for a cut lock is to use it similar to how the golf balls have been used here. Only, don't throw them as hard and make sure the Guys on the interior know what's happening. Works on auto side glass as well. I swing the lock by the locking part and hit the window in the corner, it's been pretty successful for me.

I was gonna post how to use the lock as a "fist pack" for those ETOH folks that insist on a fight, but I don't work in that type of district anymore. LOL.

Bump...

I've always liked this thread, so it's time to bring it back for another round of tips.
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

Thread Information