Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Default HEY MOTOWN! Calgary Flames early NHL faves for Stanley Cup!

I'm throwing down the gauntlet MOTOWN! May the best team win!
    Calgary Flames enter 2005 season as one of early favourites for Stanley Cup
    02/10/2005 6:18:00 PM

CALGARY (CP) - After years of futility, the Calgary Flames find themselves in the unusual position of being one of the early favourites going into the 2005-2006 NHL season.

"It's a nice change, it really is," said Flames captain Jarome Iginla. "We've got a very talented team - the most talented I've been a part of in Calgary during my nine years here."

Iginla and the Flames had missed the playoffs for seven years prior to the team's miraculous trek to the Stanley Cup final in 2004, which Calgary lost in seven games to the Tampa Bay Lightning.

There was a time that playing the Flames was considered a break on the schedule.

"Even in the first half of the season two years ago we faced a lot of teams' backups and I mean a lot of backups," Iginla said with a chuckle. "That was a sign there wasn't quite the level of respect for us.

"This year nobody is going to be surprised and a lot of people around the league do respect us and we're going to earn that."

Even Sports Illustrated says the Calgary Flames' march to the Stanley Cup final in 2003-04 was no fluke.

The U.S. magazine picked the Flames No. 1 in its season rankings ahead of Philadelphia and Ottawa.

Head coach and GM Darryl Sutter has been largely credited for the teams success and instilling the trademark Sutter-esque work ethic. Despite some departures in the off-season including popular forward Martin Gelinas - the Flames bulked up with the signings of forwards Tony Amonte, Daymond Langkow and Darren McCarty and offensive defenceman Roman Hamrlik.

It was the club's work ethic that prompted Amonte to join Calgary. The Boston native, then with the Flyers, was on the losing end of a playoff series to Calgary as the Flames marched to the Stanley Cup final.

"I knew they were a good team," said Amonte, playing with his first Canadian team after stints in New York, Chicago and Philadelphia. "They came at you hard every night and they played nasty hockey.

"They were fun to watch and who wouldn't want to be part of that,"

Lining up with Iginla and Daymond Langkow was another draw for Amonte, who along with Langkow is expected to add some potency to the Flames offence.

"He's probably the best right-winger in the game right now - he's an amazing one-on-one player coming out of the corner and he's a great guy to play with. I just want to get him the puck in the right spots," Amonte said of Iginla.

The addition of Hamrlik and rock solid rookie Dion Phaneuf gives the Flames a stellar blue-line that also includes Robyn Regehr, Jordan Leopold and Andrew Ference.

The strong defence will make things easier for goalie Miikka Kiprusoff, who signed a new contract over the summer.

"Two years ago it was the same thing. They played great in front of me and made me look good there," said Kiprusoff, who was 24-10-4 during the 2003-2004 regular season and 15-11 in the playoffs, "It's pretty much the same now and it's good to be a goalie behind those guys."

With the higher expectations comes more confidence in the locker-room, said Ference, but he warns the Flames haven't accomplished anything yet.

"Right now we did it once but we didn't win the whole thing and I think guys are aware of that," said Ference. "If we have this conversation three years from now and continue our success that's when we can hold our heads high and walk with a little swagger."

The continued success of the Flames will continue as long as players continue to buy into Sutter's "team first" philosophy said Ference and whether the new additions to the club live up to expectations.

"It's all about the chemistry in the room. Just because a guy played great a couple of years ago doesn't automatically mean he's going to be the same type of player," Ference said. "Guys can change and you've seen on other teams where guys get soft, or guys get cocky and walk with a little too much swagger and they lose that edge."

http://sports.sympatico.msn.ca/NHL/C...etect=&abc=abc
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Holy Crap! Calgary has a Hockey Team......? If so...where have the been?

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Vinnie, Vinnie, Vinnie *shaking head*

So who are YOU going for, Mr. Hotshot? heheheheheheh

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Quote Originally Posted by RspctFrmCalgary
    Vinnie, Vinnie, Vinnie *shaking head*

So who are YOU going for, Mr. Hotshot? heheheheheheh

LET'S GO DEVILS!!!!!!!!

Vinnie you poor misguided northener. Go with the flyers, did you see our off season pick ups.
    On a side note. You poor, poor jets fans. Maybe vinnie t can do something for ya.

Quote Originally Posted by MEck51
    Vinnie you poor misguided northener. Go with the flyers, did you see our off season pick ups.
    On a side note. You poor, poor jets fans. Maybe vinnie t can do something for ya.
    The Jets? Who are they....? I jnew a team once called the Winipeg Jets....

Yeah I know where you're coming from. Realy does suck though I thought the jets would have a chance with the improved recieving core and martin. Good thing I'm a philly fan.
    I guess I'm gonna have to eat it on the flyers tonight, damn jager and the rangers. I was kinda on the fence as to support hockey when it came back but I couldn't resist. Even though my guys got whooped tonight I'm still pretty stoked to see it back. I do have to say though I am dissappointed that I can only get one game down my way tonight and I don't see anything on the schedule until friday, what gives with that I figured it would be televised on many channels.

Whats the difference bewteen a bra and the calgary flames?
    Bra has 2 cups

and look the flames lost tonite GO OILERS

yup my Flames lost

The Wild seem to be their nemesis

I watched the Leafs/Sens game, except I missed the shoot-out. It was a pretty good game.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber F52Westside's Avatar

Wings 2 and 0

Sheri - I must admit though Calgary will be a lil' stronger this year, they did get McCarty. Who was he from again?......

Let me see !!! Oh Yeah
    The Wings
    Last edited by F52Westside; 10-08-2005 at 08:52 AM.
    Stay Safe & Bring 'em Home!
    Eddie C.
    I.A.F.F. Local 3008

"Doin' it for lives n' property"

** "The comments made here are this person's views and not that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Flames are 1-1 they beat Columbus last night.

Bummer the game against the Wings tomorrow won't be on the tv.

Hockey Night in Canada tonight ... I'll watch it just to see Don Cherry LOL

Stupid TV schedule doesn't even say which games they are showing tonight. It is a double-header, that's all I know. Stupid CBC. Beggars can't be choosers though, and if I want to watch hockey tonight that's all there is. TSN is showing some other crap.

So the war is on Eddie! Let's see if MOTOWN pokes his head in to harangue me too!

McCarty seems like a class act.
    Last edited by RspctFrmCalgary; 10-08-2005 at 11:54 AM.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber F52Westside's Avatar

Gonna miss McCarty here. He's not a big goal getter, but he likes to stick up for his buds'.

Its a lil' to early in the season for me to harangue you to much.

"Beep er er Beep Bong" - Station Motown respond to the forums for some Calgary Harangue-ing ( )
    Stay Safe & Bring 'em Home!
    Eddie C.
    I.A.F.F. Local 3008

"Doin' it for lives n' property"

** "The comments made here are this person's views and not that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

ROTFLMFAO!

Yes it is too early, but it is almost getting like tradition for MO & me to harrass each other about our respective teams! Welcome to the party, Eddie! Let the ball (ummmmm ok I don't have those LOL) busting begin! I can take it!

GO FLAMES GO!!!

For someone who isn't a big goal-getter, he's off to a great start, as he scored his first as a Flame last night against Columbus.
    Last edited by RspctFrmCalgary; 10-08-2005 at 07:26 PM.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member FireCapt1951retired's Avatar

GO WINGS GO
    Last edited by FireLt1951; 10-09-2005 at 12:18 PM.

Do you guys get to see it on TV?

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Go Wings!!

I already miss McCarty-he is a class act. You would not believe how well known he is around here for both his charity work and his band (Grinder). He is one blue collar type of guy, and the fans here love him. I wish the Flames well just for him.

Forum Member FireCapt1951retired's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RspctFrmCalgary
    Do you guys get to see it on TV?
    4PM EDT Fox Sports.

I love McCarty but today he's the enemy .

WOO HOO FLAMES LOSE AGAIN

OILERS WON - and i was there BOOing the hell out of Bertuzzi

GO OIL

The wings are rolling!!!
    9/11/01 Never forget Never forgive

Dusty, working on Crusty IACOJ

God bless Channel Five in the UK... hockey AND baseball!!!

Yankees & Penguins all the way!!! (Big fan of NY & Mario is a legend! )

Aren't the Penguins at Buffalo tonight? Come on you 'Guins!!!

Anita xxx

Thread Information