Forum Member

Exclamation Bridgeport engine 5 closed...

Well the ax is finally coming down...No one`s surprized, engine 3 is next (and probably sooner than we think)....and after that who knows..Don`t bother testing for this place(there isn`t any testing anyway !!) nothing going on here but "CUTBACKS, DEMOTIONS" and BS ,a lousy place to work at best....and just about the worst paid in the state (NEXT TO WATERBURY)..Remember boys and girls it`s all about the greenbacks...and bridgeport don`t have none!! (and never will)..It`s the "backside" of connecticut and always will be..SO DO YOURSELVES A FAVOR AND STEER FAR AWAY FROM THIS PLACE..GO TEST FOR A REAL DEPARTMENT IN A REAL CITY.YOU`LL BE HAPPY YOU DID..
    http://www.connpost.com/news/ci_3088378
    Last edited by signal29; 10-05-2005 at 10:26 AM.

Forum Member

The Bridgeport Fire Department and the City deserve everything they get..I posted a forum about the ridiculous acts of placing felons on the hiring list,and nobody posted a response to it. The place is a ****hole and always will be,because nobody there wants to improve it.As for the F.D.,keep hiring people by Affirmative Action standards,instead of actual standards that look at education,physical ability,and true background.3 years ago,I would have done anything to get on the department,and service the city.I have friends and family on the job.Now I hope the city drops into the Sound..and takes all the scum with it....

Forum Member

Alliecat,

You are entitled to think that the City of Bridgeport, or everyone in it, is an "a****hole and always will be", however wrong it may be.
    You are entitled to think no one wants to improve the City of Bridgeport or its Fire Department, however wrong it may be.
    You are entitled to be frustrated by the City's hiring policy, however right you may be.
    You are entitled to be frustrated that no one replied to your post about the City's hiring policy.
    You are entitled to be frustrated that you were not hired for the Bridgeport Fire Department.
    You are entitled to hope that Connecticut's largest city "drops into the Sound...and takes all the scum with it...".

But what I take great objection to is your stating the 300-odd members of the Fire Department you tried to join only 3 years ago and have friends and family working on, "deserve everything they get". Posting inflammatory statements at a time when most of its members are in personal and professional crisis is simply unconscionable. Every firehouse, every fire company, was organized for a reason - and cutting them puts everyone in danger. History shows that closing companies in this City becomes a death sentence for residents, and with Engines 2, 8, 9, 11, 14, and now 5 closing in the last 3 decades, not to mention Ladders 3 & 12 and Squad 6, it may well be a death sentence for some Bridgeport firefighters (or perhaps Fairfield or Stratford, who can look forward to more mutual aid runs into the City) as well. If you think the rank & file members of the Bridgeport Fire Department, who like the ones serving in New Britain are just trying to do their job and get home to their families after every shift, "deserve" to be put in that kind of danger, so be it.

But I'm really hoping that you are a decent person who in the heat of frustration made a bad statement. Whatever your personal issues may be, no Fire Department, not Bridgeport, Waterbury (which is a whole other issue), or New Britain, deserves to go through what Bridgeport is going through right now. They deserve our sympathy, not to be kicked when they're down.

Forum Member

I have to agree. Most of the men and women on the job in Bridgeport are in trouble, not only because of engine 5 closed, but th elife safety issue now that is are less people responding and from a farther distance within the city. It is not fair and certianly not safe for the residents of the city.
    As for the hiring of felons well lets not even go there, lets just say it it totally wrong! Maybe the mayor should look upon his staff and decide who there should go or maybe he should put on a few felons on his staff and see how he orthe rest of the staff likes it.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Still looking for Waldo. Have you seen him?

The hiring of felons has NOTHING to do with the the brothers and sisters that do the job. Do you think that is decided at the company level? I'm pretty sure they didn't go ask the back step FF on Engine 5 if they should hire convicts or go pass out job applications in the pokey.

The dept. is being run poorly. That is out of the control of the line personnel. I understand you may be bitter about not getting hired - that situation DOES suck, but this whole "brotherhood" thing means we help our brothers in times like this, not wish harm on them.

Forum Member

I respect every reply made to any statement I make....That's the freedom of America.Some good points were brought up,and mostly because I didn't clarify some things.Obviously,I wouldn't want anything to happen to any fellow firefighter or put any residents in danger.I guess my focus is more meant on City Hall than anything.My grandfather grew up on the east side,next to one of the most historic and beautiful firehouses in CT....E10/L10.Unfortunately,the place has deteriorated and new facilities were started.But thanks to giving a bogus company the contract,a shell with errors stands on Boston Ave.When some idiot politicians/city planners go and make mistakes like that and cost the city tons of money,it's mind boggling.To walk downtown and see boarded up building after boarded up building is mind boggling.How do you bring people to your city when your downtown area is vacant and disgusting.The years of the 50-60 homicides are gone.In fact,Hartford has been ahead for quite some time now.A port city should not be as economically depressed and undesirable to visit as Bridgeport is.I wrote a letter to the CT Post about telling the residents to wake up and take some pride in their hometown,and it wasn't published.I'll keep writing those..until they publish one.I didn't mean to OFFEND anyone,and do agree that part of my statement was out of line.Frustration is a horrible thing.Stay safe to all brothers and sisters,and fellow non-firefighting residents of our "Great" state.

Forum Member

Default Bfd

As a proud member of the Bridgeport Fire Dept. I am really sick and tired of outsiders trashing our department. The truth is we have a very aggressive department with most of our members being very dedicated. True we do have our share of people who are not "into the job" and only are there to collect a paycheck. All Departments have people like that. Our department has lost Engines 2,8,9,11,14, Ladder 3 and City sevrice Truck 12. We have seen our manpower cut from 5 men on the Engines to 4, Ladder staffing cut from 7 to 4. Double engine Companies were cut, eliminating dozens of engineer positions. Now the city is closing Engine 5, one of our busiest Engine Companies. That means the busy sorrounding companies Engines 1,4,10 and 12 will pick up the load. 9 people are being demoted, and 12 permotional opportunities are gone. 4 fire inspectors are also being demoted. While some Departments would talk of a work slow down or a sick out, our members continue to come to work and give their all to the job. On Friday morning at 8:00 when E-5 closes, it takes with it a history of a very proud company. A company who has fought some of the worst fires in the city's history.

The City of Bridgeport has had 10 fire related fatalities over the past 12 months. One of the worst years in memory of many of our senior Department members. Several of these fatalities were childern. Even through these tough times the Members of the BFD Continue to give their all.

This past spring, while searching the floor above for a reported trapped occupant, 6 members were caught on the second floor when it flashed. These members were forced to bail out a 2nd story window. Some were lucky and landed on the roof while others hit a fence in the front yard. These men all returned back to work and are doing the Job.

These are the types of people I am Proud to call my brothers here in Bridgeport. Please refrain from trashing our department if you do not know what you are talking about.

We do sympathize with the good people that are trying to get a job with the BFD. Most of the Members are disgusted with the fact the city has approved hiring convicted felons. With any luck, a group of candidates who were slighted will get an injunction to prevent this injustice. Even with that the members of the BFD will still keep coming to work and doin the Job they love.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Still looking for Waldo. Have you seen him?

TL5BFD, if you need any support from other Locals in the state - just say the word. We'll have members come to any rallies or demonstrations you hold.

I certainly hope the powers that be will realize their mistakes and re-open the companies they mothballed.

Forum Member

Default E-5 closed.

Well, the deed is done. Engine 5 formally closed at 8:00 AM today.

At least it went out in a blaze of glory, catching a working structure fire less than 24 hours before the axe fell. Some local media followed E-5 to the fire. News 12 showed E-5 all day, several times an hour, with a line working, and its firefighers inside the building. The Connecticut Post followed it, too. http://www.connpost.com/news/ci_3115927

But there's good news. In order to "save money", the City is hiring 16 new guys, possibly including felons, on October 31. Trick or treat! http://www.connpost.com/news/ci_3115924 (Seriously, its not the candidates' fault all this is happening, but I'd hate to enter the Fire Department under these circumstances)

Bridgeport Firefighters and their labor union fought the good fight, and they fought hard. And if there was any decency and honor in the Mayor's office (or actually offices - did you know he has two of them? One in each City Hall? Thank goodness those were spared from being cut), Engine 5 would still be protecting the City right now. Special mention should be made of News 12, WICC-AM, and the Connecticut Post for not just reporting the story as a single "look what those crazy people in Bridgeport are doing now", like many other outlets report Bridgeport news, but actually following story almost every day. The editorials in the Connecticut Post against the closing was good, too. And although I wish WTNH-TV had done more than one story, at least they were able to track down the Mayor, corner him, and get him to blurt out the closing was "temporary". Yea, right, but at last he's on videotape saying it. Also, a good point was made yesterday on WICC-AM - why is the only group that seems concerned about the safety of Bridgeport's citizens it's fire union?

In the unlikely event the company reopens, or more likely event people get burned out of their homes and/or die because of this, it will be posted here.

RIP Bridgeport Engine Company 5.
    Last edited by connfire; 10-14-2005 at 10:37 AM.

Forum Member

Angry Engine 5

Here was todays article on the closing of Engine 5. It has now turned into a pointing the finger game at all of the brothers on the job.

http://www.connpost.com/news/ci_3119403

Its amazing how the mayor can blame us for the closing of the company because of sick time and injury leave when we do one of the most dangerous jobs in the world. Firefighting is going to cause sickness and injuries. While the politicians are at home sleeping in your safe and might I add "HUGE" homes, we are risking our lives at 3 in the morning to save life and property of the people who live in YOUR city.

I guess the city is putting price tags on life safety of the fireman and civilians of their city and finds it acceptable.

"Still, Fabrizi stressed that closing the company based at the Congress Street headquarters will not have a negative effect on public safety or increase the average response time of four minutes.
    Firefighters have gone on a public relations campaign and made out like the sky is falling."

Trying telling that to brother firemen who are trapped in a building with imminent collapse or flash over potential and think the next and closest Engine company on the way was at Engine 5 and now its coming from Central Ave. Until you are put in that position or any of our postions, then maybe and I stress MAYBE you can make comments such as that.
    Last edited by BFD3Engine; 10-15-2005 at 07:12 PM.

Forum Member

Default Engine 5

Amen Brother!

Forum Member

Ain't politics a beautiful thing.Prince John the Wide thinks he's going to save $1.2 million by closing Engine 5.Haw!Haw!Haw!.10 years ago we (Local 834)showed how when you close a company in a multiple company house but keep the house open and re-assign the personnel(no lay-offs), that the people of Bridgeport might actually pay more to close the company.How can this be?Nearly every property owner(TAXPAYER) in the city pays for insurance on their property.Part of that is fire insurance.The amount of your premium for fire insurance is determined by a formula called the ISO fire rating suppression schedule.Among other factors in this formula is water supply,fire department personnel,fire companies,response time,distances and accessiblities (closed bridges,streets,etc,)between firehouses, and other factors.When a company closes, the premium rate goes up to reduce the insurance company exposure,makes sense right?So the rate goes up.Not just for the people in Engine 5's district,but for every policy holder in the city.Now Engine 5 is running,sorry WAS running with a 20 year old rig,not much in car payments there.Fire headquarters is still open,so operational costs are the same.All of the good personnel on E-5 are still here.I was not allowed the information by ISO to see how much the premium rates will go up,but I'm willing to bet that the owners of the 32,000 buildings in Bridgeport will be paying close to the same amount of money in increases as hizzoner thinks he's going to save.
    We also told them(city hall) 4 or 5 company closings ago that the sick and injury rates will of course go up when you have less companies doing more work.But they keep closing companies and crying during negotiations about overtime costs due to sickness and injury.Catch 22?
    Well I've vented enough for now.sorry.

Excelsior Engine Company Number 5----1849-2005. Thank you.

Forum Member

Angry It took less then a week.

Well Well Well. I thought it would happen a little fast then this but has been less then a week since they closed Engine 5 and last night we caught some work in Engine 5's district. I dont think it could have been more centralized. Thanks to the closing of the company, the city gets stripped when we have one fire such as the one last night. A full assignment of 4 Engines, 2 Trucks, the Rescue and Battalion. Another engine was special called for RIT after the initial was put to work due to the volumn of fire that was visible. This left 4 Engines to cover the entire city.

The closest engines to downtown were Engine 7 or Engine 6. Both on the opposite side of the city.

Forum Member

Hey 3's....you forgot to add the fact that Fairfield Fire had to relocate to Fire HQ on Congress St. during the job. I belive 1 Engine and a Truck Co.

Forum Member

Default First building burned in E-5 district.

BFD3Engine beat me in posting last night's job in Engine 5's district, but yep, it didn't take long at all - 5 days to show the City's shortsightedness.

The Connecticut Post did have a small article about the fire, as well as a civillian complaining that had Engine 5 been around it might have turned out better. There were also 3 letters to the editor blasting the closing today. Unfortunately none of these are available online, so I can't share a link, other than a photo album at http://www.pbase.com/km406/edward_as...dgeport_101905 .

Here's what I heard, from reliable sources (so correct me if I'm wrong): The Town of Westport caught a working fire earlier in the evening. The Town of Fairfield sent an engine company to the fire. Then, when Bridgeport caught its fire, Fairfield sent an engine and its ladder company to help cover Bridgeport. Now, when Fairfield sends an engine and truck, normaly another company is taken offline, and its crew put on the Bridgport-bound companies, to meet Bridgeport's apparatus staffing standards. So last night, when Fairfield was simultaneously operating in Westport and Bridgeport, as few as 2 engines may have been left to cover Fairfield. This would mean they would have had to call in overtime guys to man their reserve apparatus. Thank you Fairfield taxpayers!

Today Bridgeport had two box alarms occuring simultaneously, including a working fire on the West Side. It seemed like everyone was going somewhere, I lost track of who was going where.

It's amazing how closing one engine company can have such a huge effect.

Forum Member

Default Engine 5

I thought I heard the dispatcher talking to the Fairfield Ladder while we were working inside. However I thought it was the voices in my head.. lol.

We should all thank the Faifield taxpayers. They are going to suffer for this as well.

Its amazing how only 4 engines were left in the city last night after only 1 fire. Its going to be interested to see what happens this winter.

Forum Member

Sorry to interlope, but this kind of stuff kills me. The City of Bridgeports problem has now become a regional one. Happens in Illinois too. Good luck and keep the faith.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Default Engine 5

Sorry to hear that Mikey. Politicians just dont have a clue when it comes to the fire service.

I want to know how long Fairfield is going to put up with this. Bridgeport is taking advantage of the mutual aid agreement and they think that Fairfield will always be here to bail them out.

Forum Member

Busy couple of days in the Park City. 2 working fires on Monday, 2 on Tuesday. Engine 5 would have been at all the boxes. I think it is going to be an eventful winter......(RIP Engine 5) :

Forum Member

Default More mutual aid to cover BPT

This article was in today's CT Post. There have been 7 working fires since Monday afternoon. Three of those fires required companies above the 1st alarm. (1st alarm assignment 4 engines, 2 trucks, rescue co. and Batt. Chief)

RIP Engine 5

Remington factory burns
    BILL CUMMINGS bcummings@ctpost.com

BRIDGEPORT Firefighters suspect arson may be the cause of an early Thursday blaze that damaged a former Remington Arms plant off Barnum Avenue.
    As flames poured from what remained of the vacant building's roof, smoke wafted across the city's East Side, enveloping Bridgeport Hospital.

Officials at the scene were concerned about chemicals, asbestos and other materials left inside the aging industrial structure, closed over 15 years ago. The property is owned by developer Sal DiNardo, fire officials said.

Provisional Assistant Fire Chief Dominick Carfi said no one was injured in the blaze, which began at about 6:55 a.m.

Firefighters quickly brought the fire under control, despite being hampered by the unsafe condition of the building, Jersey barriers that blocked access and a chain-link gate that had to be cut to gain access, he said.

Carfi said homeless people were apparently living in the building, and are suspected of causing the fire. The blaze remains under investigation, he said.

"This could have been far worse," Carfi said. Flames could have leapt across the street to other sections of the abandoned factory, possibly igniting the entire block, he said.

Carfi said Metro-North Railroad was notified about the fire because its commuter trains run behind the building. But rail service was not disrupted.

The hulking complex is composed of three connected rectangular buildings. The fire apparently erupted

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

in the middle section, firefighters said.
    Carfi said firefighters were unable to access much of the interior because the structure's floors are no longer safe. He said the fire was primarily attacked from the exterior.

Firefighters climbed long ladders to spray water through already broken windows, and at one point used an unmanned ladder to hose down a upper section of the complex.

A city crane was brought in to remove a Jersey barrier from an entrance. On the other side of the complex, firefighters had to cut away a large chain-link gate so trucks could enter the property.

Carfi said fire equipment from across the city was initially dispatched to the scene. He said Fairfield sent two fire companies to cover the city's downtown fire headquarters. Normally, he said, one Fairfield company would be sufficient.

But the city recently closed Engine Co. 5 to help close a deficit in the Fire Department budget, and that meant extra Fairfield firefighters were needed to provide adequate coverage, he said.

Bill Cummings, who covers regional issues, can be reached at 330-6230.
    Last edited by TL5BFD; 11-04-2005 at 09:40 PM.

Forum Member

Default What a mess!

You heard it here first, folks! Now there's an Assistant Chief confirming it in the newspapers - because the City refueses to pay for its own adequate fire protection, suburban towns like Fairfield are responding more often and with more equipment into Bridgeport. How rude of these the fires to keep burning even after they reduced the number of engines by 10% - don't they read the newspapers?

Today's newspaper also has an article of a 210-unit 14 story building going up on Gold Street downtown, and how this same developer is also working on 183 other units in downtown Bridgeport. There are other developments in various stages, too. This is good news, of course, but what strikes me is these projects are only blocks away from Engine 5's old firehouse.

Mayor "Nero" wants us to believe that Engine 1 can cover its district, Engine 5's, as well as Engine 2 on the East Side (which they closed in the late 1980s) district just fine. Never mind the big fires like Remington, how the heck is that one company going to adequately cover the fire alarms and medical calls? The remaining companies will have to be pulled out of their districts and play musical firehouses - what a mess.

The Mayor has cut the Bridgeport Fire Department to the point that it can no longer do its basic functions. Its time to stop playing political games with your citizens' and the region's firefighters' lives, and rebuild this department, starting with reopening Engine 5. Mayor Fabrizi can be reached at (203) 576-7201.

Forum Member

When will someone drop a dime and let the tax payers of Fairfield know what's going on. I'm sure the chiefs will say that it all balances out in the end. But we all know that Fairfield hires back(OT) when they come to Bpt. Bridgeport just runs with one less Engine and Truck company. Add that into the daily mix of training and apparatus at the shop, it makes things real interesting.
    Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way.

MembersZone Subscriber

What does the city have for front line equipment and shift staffing? This sounds like a serious life safety problem for the residents and ff's of Bridgeport.

Forum Member

61 (was 65) Firefighters per shift. 9 Engine Companies (was 10), 4 Ladder Companies, 1 Rescue Company, and 2 Battalion Chiefs. Staffing is 4 per Engine and Ladder companies (Officer and 3 Firefighters), Rescue has 5 (Officer and 4 Firefighters) Battalion has 2 ( Chiefs Aide and the Chief). 8 Firehouses in the city.

Forum Member

Default 8th working fire in 6 days for BPT

This afternoon the Bridgeport Fire Dept. battled its 8th working fire in 6 days. 5 engines, 2 ladders ,the rescue, Battalion 2 and a deputy took in the box. The RIT team was activated when 2 Rescue firemen were cut off on the 3rd floor while conducting a primary search . Thankfully everyone got out safe. RIP Engine 5.....we miss ya!
    Last edited by TL5BFD; 11-07-2005 at 10:26 AM.

Thread Information