MembersZone Subscriber

Default Target Audiences and Curriculum

Just curious as to what school level your department visits with when Fire Prevention Week rolls around. Or at any time of the year for all that matters.

I've been behind the wheel of our Fire Prevention and Safety division for a little over three years now and have only addressed K thru 6th in our local school. My curriculum is geared more toward the younger pre-middle school child and I was wondering if there was anything available to offer the older child in this situation.

I'm no psychologist, nor do I have a teaching degree. What I do have are my own children who are in this age bracket and who are way to clever for the presentation that I give. They've told me on occasion that they all know this kind of stuff already. Maybe that's a sign of a job well done in previous years, or maybe it's just the "know-it-all" attitude that comes with the territory. I'd be interested to know what any of you do.

Forum Member

We only visit kindergarten through grade 5 in our school system as the middle schools lie outside of our jurisdiction in another district (we use a parish/county rather than a true "local" school system). We have targeted as follows:

Kindergarten:
    Mirrors our preschool program as it targets match/lighter behavior, as juvenile firesetting, which is primarily accidental in nature at this age, is the number one cause of accidental death for children under 5 in the home. We also teach "Firefighter Isn't a Monster".

1st/2nd Grade:
    We discuss smoke detectors and residental fire escape.

3rd Grade:
    Hotel, motel and public Assembly (resturants, stores, etc.) fire escape.

4th Grade:
    As children are now beginning to spend more time at home alone, we discuss home fire prevention targeting kitchen and electrical fire safety. We also discuss handling small kitchen fires through covering pan fires and keeping ovens closed. We do not discuss extingushers or "aggressive" fire extingushment.

5th Grade:
    As these children begin to spend even more time alone at home as well as watching siblings without an adult our progtam focuses on basic first aid - bleeding, burns, and stabilizing people who have been involved in trauma. In the spring program we talk about heat stroke/exhaustion, water rescue focusing on methods that do not involve entering the water and bites (especially from snakes as we have several posionous snakes in our area) and stings.

We go to the schools twice a year (fall and spring) giving a 25-30 minute program each time.

MembersZone Subscriber

I must be going in the right direction since we follow basically the same topics as you do (aside from the snakes). The only thing is that we have K-6 all in one assembly hall together. I don't know if this is a detriment or not. We make the assembly rather short, 25-35 minutes, and then we let them blow off some steam by going through the trucks afterward.

I understand that you do not go to the middle school but have you heard of any neighboring departments handling high school students? I was shocked to find that our local high school, which is out of our jurisdiction, does not have anyone visit them regarding fire prevention. Call me old fashioned but isn't there anything in place for them or do we assume at this level they know just about all there is to know already?

Forum Member

We do Pre-School, Kindergarten, 1st Grade and 3rd Grade.
    Thats over 6,000 kids.

We bring the Fire Safety Trailer and an Engine from the closest Engine Company to each school, (multiple schools).

We started skipping 2nd grade for time constraint reasons. I don't necessarily agree with that but we are all volunteer and have limited time during the day. The powers that be think that by skipping 2nd grade and then reiterating it in third grade that the lessons would become ingrained in the students by that time.

That does not include Scouts or other organizations who take field trips to the firehouse. That is handled by the paid dispatcher and maintenance people, (all firefighters). The older groups are shown a movie and get a tour of the equipment & dispatch center.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Forum Member

725GUS ...

There is some value in public education for the upper grades, but most research indicates that it is very limited unless it is extremly targeted. Studies have indicated that most children learn a majority of thier safety habits by age 10. This is the reason why DARE has chosen 3rd-4th grades as thier target audience. I have presented programs all the way up to the high school levels on specific topics to specific classes such as cooking safety to Home Ec, Shop Firesafety to shop classes and even have presented programs to a few math and science classes on fire science and fire math (friction loss, etc) as the teacher wanted "real world" examples of classroom math.

We have just chosen not to conduct "regular" programs because of the limited payback, but they can be useful in certain circumstances when connected to classroom lessons.

Forum Member

My department has just organized a Public Education team. We are applying for grants to help fund it, and we are working on a program for all age groups. The kids are easy. The elderly are not to difficult either. The high school age kids are what's really making us think. Dormroom safety seems to be the direction we are going. Also keep in mind the National Fire Academy has an unlimited ammount of free articles, video's, and information to be used. Hope this helps a little.
    Stay Safe, and good luck!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

We do prevention for K-6th grade, I also present a dorm fire safety talk to students in 11th and 12th grade. We are supposed to do the ''freindly fireman'' thing in the next week or 2 to show the kids what a fireman looks like in full gear. Does anyone have an outline for this talk that i could get?? Another firefighter on the dept used to do this talk but we cannot find any notes.

Forum Member

I do the "friendly firefighter" for the pre-school, and k-2 kids. I usually stay close to the ground in an attempt to "stay at thier level". I also explain each peice of equipment, or gear that we use so that they understand why we are wearing it. Most importantly, before you go on air when you have the mask on. Say something funny and make a point of saying how funny you sound. If one kid laughs, They ALL laugh. This has been very succesful for me. Hope this helps a little. Good luck!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

Our department goes to the pre-schools, and kindergarten-5th grades. We eat lunch with the kids also. We take an Engine and discuss fire safety. We also have a firefighter put on full turnout gear/scba in front of the kids and then get down on the ground with them. We tell the kids to come up and touch the firefighter. We have found by doing it like this, the kids (especially the younger ones) are not scared. We stress to them that if they are trapped in a fire, and they see a firefighter dressed like this, not to hide.

We are in the process of developing a program for our local churches and civic groups. If anyone has any ideas for either of these groups, please let me know.
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Courage is not the absence of fear, but the conquest of it. Author Unknown.

Forum Member

Keeperman ...

I assume that when you say civic and church groups, you are talking about adult fire and life safety programs?
    If you are, here are some ideas:

- Home Escape (Planning, Drills and Response)
    - Kitchen Fire Safety
    - Seasonal Topics such as Pool Safety/Water Rescue, BBQ Safety, etc.
    - Matches & Lighters/Juvenile Fireplay
    - Basic First Aid

Just some ideas that may make for some interesting presentations. If you would like more specific details please e-mail me. We use these programs in our community and would be more than happy to share with you.

MembersZone Subscriber

My name is Jim and I work for the Tinley Park Fire Dept in Illinois. I am currently looking to start a program for the new Hotels we have in town. And also for the nursing homes. I am looking to do fire safety for both employees and residents of the hotels and nursing homes. Does anyone out there have any kind of program in effect already? Or does anyone have any suggestions? If anyone can help,please E Mail me at JGASKILL@tinleypark.org.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Forum Member

Default Training the older kids

I recently spoke with someone who got in touch with the local high school drama department and asked if they were interested in helping with a safety program by putting together videos, CDs, etc. Apparently the teachers loved it and by the end of the process the high schoolers were VERY familiar with the material plus he had a whole kit of new material for training the younger kids. He's going to send a copy of the material to post on our website, but the process itself clearly did a lot of good.

Forum Member

Default Frank Field

32,000 free DVDs courtesy of the MetLife Foundation have been sent out in the March issue of Firehouse Mag to Fire Departments."Fire Is" is an hour and a half DVD with 5 teaching modules each abut 18 minutes and aimed at teaching children the reality of fire.The UFA of Greater NY is introducing it in all the cities fire houses and i am anxious to get some feedback on its use by fire educators.Contact is zaishy@earthlink.net
    Last edited by ffield; 03-14-2006 at 12:08 PM.
    frank field

Forum Member

Default FirefighterStory (working title)

I'm writing a story with one of the chapters needing review. The chapter is about fire prevention and safety ( house/structural fires). The story is written for 6-8th graders but takes place in the high school. So the target audience is for the older crowd. I would very much appreciate anyone who is interested in reviewing the chapter to give input on how accurate the information is and also how well the story is told. We acknowledge every contributor.

Thank you for letting me introduce myself and Quality Parks.

Quality Parks tells stories that come true. Green solutions for to improve the way we do business in parklands, our mutual ground for excellence in natural resource conservation.

Forum Member

Default Chapte on Fire Safety

Mindy. If you send me a copy of the chapter I would be glad to give you any comments I have.You can reach me directly at: frank.field@foxtv.com or mail to WWOR TV at 9 Broadcast Plaza,Secaucus,NJ 07096
    frank
    frank field

MembersZone Subscriber

I have a firefighter take care off K-6, and I address the 7-8 graders with a power point presentation. It all starts with getting the cooperation of the science teachers. I ask them when they plan on teaching the science of endothermic and exothermic reactions in their lesson plan calendar. Then I offer to teach it for them, from the fire science angle. I use a lot of cool pictures and graphics. The teacher gets a day off, and the kids get interested in firefighting.

Give it a whirl.

Thread Information