Forum Member

Angry Booby Trap Case! Headups Police/Fire!

Taylorsville, KY A Spencer County man who was allegedly growing a considerable amount of marijuana inside his house is recovering from a gunshot wound to his leg today. State police detectives went to a hospital to interview Danny Walden about the gunshot wound and were told it was accidental.

State police say troopers went to Walden's home and say they were greeted with a strong odor of marijuana coming from inside. They say in a report that 37 marijuana plants were found growing in a closet and 78 more were in a crawl space. Four surveillance cameras and monitors were discovered along with several guns.

Police say Walden did, in fact, shoot himself by accident, while attempting to arm a booby trap.

Kentucky AP 10/04/2005
    Always a day late and a dollar short!

Hillbilly Irish!

Forum Member

Angry

Man Hurt Setting Booby-Trap
    WTVQ Channel 36
    Oct 4, 07:18 AM EDT

A bizarre story out of Spencer county.

Kentucky State Police say a man trying to protect his indoor marijuana plants, accidentally shot himself after trying to set a booby trap.

Danny Walden was taken to University of Louisville hospital after suffering a gunshot wound to his leg.

KSP's Hazardous Devices Unit found and removed the single booby-trapped rifle that shot Walden.

Troopers also confiscated a total of 115 marijuana plants.

Four surveillance cameras and monitors were also found.

The investigation is ongoing.

Hillbilly Irish!

Forum Member

Something to be aware of for sure, but I have a feeling that the boobytraps were intended for other not so savory characters more then it was intended for the poilice or fire department.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Angry

I agree he was protecting his crops from thief.The problem is that the trap does not cull thieves or first responders.I hope this guy gets a harsh sentence.

Hillbilly Irish!

MembersZone Subscriber

Another word of caution......meth cookers are famous for setting up booby traps for police AND firefighters, so when you get that call and the fire is at a suspected meth cook, watch your six.

Forum Member

In our first in area, we have grown to be very aware of booby traps. We have a HUGE gang area with emphasis on a gang known as MS-13. We've been on several fires in our slum area apartments where they have been set ablaze. We have found everything from containers of gasoline attached to walls/ceilings in adjoing rooms, holes cut in floors covered by rugs/carpets, things rigged to fall from ceilings, etc.

There is also a $25,000 bounty from that gang for killing anyone wearing a uniform in our area...feel the love yet???

I love my job...LOL.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SCOOBY14B
    In our first in area, we have grown to be very aware of booby traps. We have a HUGE gang area with emphasis on a gang known as MS-13. We've been on several fires in our slum area apartments where they have been set ablaze. We have found everything from containers of gasoline attached to walls/ceilings in adjoing rooms, holes cut in floors covered by rugs/carpets, things rigged to fall from ceilings, etc.

There is also a $25,000 bounty from that gang for killing anyone wearing a uniform in our area...feel the love yet???

I love my job...LOL.
    I've talked about this gang here before. Also known as "Mara Salvatrucha", they are extremely violent. They are across the country and are into drugs, weapons, extortion and even the export of stolen cars. Not sure about the bounty (first I've heard of that) they have a history of murdering police officers.

Here's an article from Newsweek: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7244879/...wsweek/page/2/

BTW, Pay attention to the graffiti in your area. Certain signs such as upside down crowns, signs such as MSXIII or what appear to be Nazi signs with dots mean you may have a problem. Call this kind of tagging to the attention of law enforcement.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    I've talked about this gang here before. Also known as "Mara Salvatrucha", they are extremely violent. They are across the country and are into drugs, weapons, extortion and even the export of stolen cars. Not sure about the bounty (first I've heard of that) they have a history of murdering police officers.

Here's an article from Newsweek: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7244879/...wsweek/page/2/

BTW, Pay attention to the graffiti in your area. Certain signs such as upside down crowns, signs such as MSXIII or what appear to be Nazi signs with dots mean you may have a problem. Call this kind of tagging to the attention of law enforcement.
    Yeah, they are very violent. The gang has expanded into our area, Charlotte NC, Wash DC, Fairfax, and maybe a couple other places.

The bounty resulted from PD using some fire gear for a PD incident to "fool" the gang, or so I've been told. Until that the bounty was for a PD officer, then it was changed. This information has been verified by our PD gang unit's informants. Apparently the "upper brass" in LA have been unsatisfied by the lack of high profile killings by this gang in our area. They have even sent some "higher ups" from LA to our area. Since then the violence has increased dramatically.

Graffiti...our entire area is graffiti. When we see the MS13 calling with another painted over it, we anticipate violence soon...and we've never deen disappointed.

Our first in area has been going downhill for several years. We can sit outside our station and hear automatic gunfire many nights. We've had drive-by killings with a few hundred yards of our station, it's quite interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get some sort of ballistic protection in the near future.

Forum Member

Here is another article that describes the gang's migration east, including our county.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/3606102/

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah, they are very violent. The gang has expanded into our area, Charlotte NC, Wash DC, Fairfax, and maybe a couple other places.

The bounty resulted from PD using some fire gear for a PD incident to "fool" the gang, or so I've been told. Until that the bounty was for a PD officer, then it was changed. This information has been verified by our PD gang unit's informants. Apparently the "upper brass" in LA have been unsatisfied by the lack of high profile killings by this gang in our area. They have even sent some "higher ups" from LA to our area. Since then the violence has increased dramatically.

Graffiti...our entire area is graffiti. When we see the MS13 calling with another painted over it, we anticipate violence soon...and we've never deen disappointed.

Our first in area has been going downhill for several years. We can sit outside our station and hear automatic gunfire many nights. We've had drive-by killings with a few hundred yards of our station, it's quite interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get some sort of ballistic protection in the near future.
    My friend, you are very wise. My response was geared to those who do not have the experience level you do.

This gang is even in little tranquil Morris County, NJ.

You are also right about the graffiti. There are officers who can "read" this graffiti like they can read a book. When you see conflicting graffiti, it's all over but the shooting.

BTW< we have discussed this issue of PD wearing fire gearon here many times before. It is never, ever, a good idea. For reasons you can clearly testify to.

Stay safe.

Forum Member

I love my job...LOL.
    I'm so sick of hearing about these scum. I wish someone had the balls to bring the hammer down on these thugs...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KemalT
    I'm so sick of hearing about these scum. I wish someone had the balls to bring the hammer down on these thugs...
    Easier said than done...at least in our area.

These guys are smarter than one would think. Plus, they have ALOT of money!!

Forum Member

Easier said than done...at least in our area.

These guys are smarter than one would think. Plus, they have ALOT of money!!

Stay safe man...I just got hired on an ambulance service, made be a bit uncomfortable realizing one of the outside compts. has flak jackets in it.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey Scooby, where you located? I am in WV in the eastern panhandle and the word is they are moving into the Winchester VA and Martinsburg WV area as we speak. I did have the satisfaction of helping bringing down some top level Mexican cocaine cartel members in my recent task force days, but MS13 is a way different story.

Forum Member

Damn - thought this was about bras!

On a serious note - why arent gangs considered terrorists? If people are afraid to go somewhere because of fear of injury or being caught in a violent situation - isnt that terrorism? So why doesnt the government do SOMETHING about domestic terrorism - send em to gitmo!
    -I have learned people will forget what you said,
    -People will forget what you did,
    -But people will never forget how you made them feel!

Forum Member

We can sit outside our station and hear automatic gunfire many nights. We've had drive-by killings with a few hundred yards of our station, it's quite interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get some sort of ballistic protection in the near future.
    With an alleged bounty on your heads, and drive-by's going on, do you think it wise to sit out in front of the station?
    IAFF

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by snowball
    With an alleged bounty on your heads, and drive-by's going on, do you think it wise to sit out in front of the station?
    It's actually behind the station, and I'm not gonna be a prisoner in my fire station.

One question...have you flown on an airplane since 9/11? If so, do you think it's wise with the knowing that terrorists have and may fly them into buildings? And if you haven't, is it because of the terrorists?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Dave404
    Damn - thought this was about bras!

On a serious note - why arent gangs considered terrorists? If people are afraid to go somewhere because of fear of injury or being caught in a violent situation - isnt that terrorism? So why doesnt the government do SOMETHING about domestic terrorism - send em to gitmo!
    It is because the fear that is caused in the public is not the intentions of the gangs but mearly a byproduct of thier actions.

MembersZone Subscriber

We are hearing more and more about gangs in my area too....not to the point where there are violent outbursts amongst rival gangs but word has it they are moving in in small numbers...Ran a brush fire couple months ago and found some Graffiti tags on a couple abandoned houses near our public works building from the bloods....whether or not it was some kids messing around it was there...and we notified the police about it.
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cashton
    It is because the fear that is caused in the public is not the intentions of the gangs but mearly a byproduct of thier actions.
    CASHTON - Fear is a part of terrorism. All a terrorist organization is is a gang with money and an ideal to change to world. A street gang wants to change the hood - what happens when everyone gives up and lets a gang take over - Im sure it would be a glorious way to live......naaa gangs should be dealt with in the same manner, get rid of em - what good are they?
    -I have learned people will forget what you said,
    -People will forget what you did,
    -But people will never forget how you made them feel!

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah I know fear is part of terrorism, but it is used to intimidate or coerse the governmet, not a neighborhood. That is why the feds don't get involved.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by cashton
    Yeah I know fear is part of terrorism, but it is used to intimidate or coerse the governmet, not a neighborhood. That is why the feds don't get involved.
    Wrong. There is a concentrated federal effort.

FBI Targets MS-13 Street Gang Posted: 10.05.05
    The FBI has formed a national task force aimed at dismantling street gangs and has focused attention on the MS-13 gang, which federal investigators say rivals the infamous Crips and Bloods.

Federal law enforcement officials in states around the country are targeting the criminal organization known as MS-13, a violent street gang with origins in Central American countries.

In September, police in Oregon and Minnesota arrested suspected gang members, some accused of violent crimes.

In Northern Virginia, where police estimate there are over 2,000 members, a 17-year-old Herndon High School student was stabbed to death by an MS-13 gang member who pled guilty to the crime.

Mara Salvatrucha
    MS-13, which stands for Mara Salvatrucha, is a mainly Central American gang whose original members arrived in Los Angeles and Washington, D.C. in the 1980s after 1 million people fled a vicious civil war in El Salvador.

In Los Angeles, the refugees flocked to an established Hispanic neighborhood known as the "Rampart." But the area's predominantly Mexican population did not welcome the Salvadorans and subjected them to discrimination and the abuses of local gangs.

In response, refugees with paramilitary or guerilla experience from their days in El Salvador banded together to form the Mara Salvatrucha gang. The gang's name is derived from the Spanish word for army ant, marabunta, and Salvatrucho, which is the nickname Salvadorans use to refer to themselves.

"Most of these members coming from the war-torn countries where, you know, killing was a regular occurrence -- violence, beating people up, stabbing people, seeing people die. I mean, they were desensitized. So, when it came time for them to deal with rival gang members, I mean, their readiness to commit a violent act was nothing; it was second nature," officer Frank Flores, a member of an anti-gang unit of the L.A. Police Department, told the NewsHour.

Gang members typically used tattoos to identify themselves and graffiti to indicate their turf.

Common markings for both include "MS," "Salvadorian Pride" and the number "13," which has superstitious and gangland connotations.

The FBI estimates that MS-13 has as many as 10,000 active members dispersed in 33 states. Members have been accused of burglaries, drug sales, weapons smuggling, extortion, illegal firearm sales, auto thefts, murder and rape.

MS-13 also has developed a reputation around the world.

In August, coordinated attacks by MS-13 members in seven Guatemalan prisons left 35 inmates dead. And, last year, 28 people died when MS-13 members sprayed a bus in Honduras with automatic weapon fire.

U.S. Government Response

To combat the MS-13 threat, the federal government has initiated a nationwide campaign called Operation Community Shield, part of the Department of Homeland Security's anti-gang program.

So far in 2005, immigration and customs officers have arrested 1,057 suspected gangsters.

Congress also has begun working on legislation to make gang crimes federal offenses with mandatory minimum sentences, after rumors surfaced that MS-13 may have had connections to al-Qaida.

"Street gangs in America have grown and expanded their influence to an alarming level, marked by increased violence and criminal activity," Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff has said.

"These gangs pose a severe threat to public safety, and their growth must not go unchallenged."

Homeland Security initially planned its offensive specifically to counter Mara Salvatrucha but has since targeted all 750,000 active gang members the Justice Department estimates make up 80 gangs in dozens of states.

Some community activists say more arrests are not the answer.

"It's not solving the problem. It's just the putting a bandage over the problem, you know, because you're not dealing with the real root cause of the problem," says Alex Sanchez, a former gang member who now helps organize Homies Unidos, an intervention program with offices in L.A. and El Salvador.

"You still have kids joining gangs as small as, you know, junior high. And you have kids that are in elementary already knowing, you know, the gang structure and already knowing about gangs," Sanchez adds.

Central American response

MS-13 gang members deported from the United States have spread to Ecuador, Guatemala, Honduras and Mexico, where governments are cracking down. Human rights groups have complained that innocent people have been jailed, and that prisons are overcrowded.

Those who return to El Salvador face a grim future. The official government policy of President Elias Antonio Saca is "super mano dura," or super hard hand.

The national police force includes heavily armed soldiers, and the government imprisons any person found with gang-related tattoos, even if they are not caught participating in criminal activity.

MembersZone Subscriber

I was not aware, but glad you brought that to everyones attention. I know that for the most part, gangs are a local problem dealt with by local authorities, but when they get as big as the above mentioned gangs have, the feds have gotta step up.

Forum Member

Back to the original topic, I just want to say how proud I am that the self-shooting idiot lives in my old hometown. Way to go, Taylorsville!
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Thread Information