Thread: Fire Exploring?

Forum Member

Default Fire Exploring?

Hey guys,

First off, let me introduce myself. I am Ben, 16 years old, and a Lieutennant with the Tallahassee Police Cadet Program (Explorer). I was just looking around this site and noticed the explorer section and started wondering... What does a fire explorer do? Sadly my city does not have a fire explorer post, so I never get to see any fire explorers. As a police cadet we learn basic law enforcement legalities, and as we advance, we learn more and more. We have a uniform and are allowed to go on ride-alongs (Only in uniform though)

We also have state competitions every year where we participate in Traffic Stops, traffic acidents, crisis intervention (Domestic and suicide/hostage negotiation), crime scene, search and arrest, and bomb threat. We have shooting competitions and an obstacle course competition at ever state comp.

Fire-fighting is one of my other interests which is what I will be doing this summer.(Will be joining USCG)

Heres a pic of some of my stuff.
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v104/-...Picture004.jpg
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v104/-...Picture001.jpg
    And I know I will be asked this, so let me explain now. the cuffs are only for training purposes, and state comp, and the vest is for ride-alongs.
    (Ill actually be doing one tomorrow after school). And the rest is my traffic gear.

So, can you tell me a little about what you guys do? Can you go on ride-alongs? do you have fire-gear and all?

Forum Member

At least where I'm at, we learn basic firefighting and first aid skills, triage, etc. We drill on searching a smoke filled room, ladders, vehicle extrication, water supply, fire behavior, fire streams, hose appliances, forcible entry, ff safety and survival. Many depts. allow ride alongs also. In May, we have something called the Mock Disaster at a local fairgrounds where Fire, Police and EMS explorers respond to calls all day long on apparatus. We can run EMS calls, real vehicle fires, smoked up buildings with people inside, bomb explosion(simulated), land medevac birds, auto accidents, you name it we probably do it. We also participate in competitions such as gear donning, Target Shot, Hose Roll, Setting up a Landing Zone, Bucket Brigade, and the best of all Waterball. This is basically two teams trying to hit a steel ball or mini-keg suspended from a cable with hoses, trying to keep it on the other teams side or push it all the way to the end of the cable.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Wow, that mock disaster sounds great. If only we have fire explorers here.

Forum Member

Here's the thread from this year with pictures. http://forums.firehouse.com/showthre...ht=monroe+mock

Forum Member

Wow, great pics. I didn't see those last time I checked that thread. I am in about 3-4 of those pics, as are many explorers from my post. We have the FDNY style black turnouts.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Wow, awsome stuff. Thats really making me wish hwe had explorers for other public services here.

Forum Member

here where i live, you can join an explorer/cadet program at 16. the only setback is that you have to have a "b" average in grades (average). i will be 15 in january so hopefully in a year i can join the program here. they start you off with e.m.s., and then to the engine or truck.

Thread Information