Forum Member

I try to have my equipment on the load 30 minutes prior to our start time. Some people come in later but the general consensus on my group is 30 minutes prior to start time (0700 days-1700 nights) or you are late. By me getting there early it allows me to get into the flow of the day easier and really go over my equipment with a fine tooth comb.

Forum Member

Default On behalf of all minutemen

I agree with nearly everything that everyone has said. It's good to be early, and it is bad to be late. However -

Shift change is at 0700. Daycare opens @0645.

So hey don't kick all of us in the a&^ for not bringing a cup and a pastry at 615.

MembersZone Subscriber

Their are two issues here the first is what is your standard? (what does it say in the rules and regs?) By the rule or contract or whatever if the time is 0800 then 07:59:59 is OK.
    The true issue is what is the expectation, We start at 0800 (the rule) but that should mean you are dressed, gear on the rig, pass on from who you are relieving and mask checked out. I'd like to witness this if you can do that in 5 minutes.
    If your culture is minutemen then change the culture. Officers lead by example, barn boss you too. If your the new guy guilt the older guys into compliance. You don't wear an orange apron, it is not OK to stroll out on the floor at 20 after. Also it is not fair to have your relief hold over while you take your sweet time getting ready.

Lets be the professionals we all know we are capable of being.

Forum Member

Default Shift change

We change shifts at 0700. Our Code of Conduct states:

"Personnel shall report for their tour of duty as early as necessary to arrange personal equipment for immediate emergency response at 07:00 hours."

For some of our people, they can do it in 10 minutes or less. For others, it takes a half-hour.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Our shift change is at 0700, and I'm never there later than 0625. There are a lot of guys at the station (amongst all three shifts) that get there at 0600 hours every shift.

We come into the station and immediately take off the person we're relieving's gear, put our gear on, and check all of our personal equipment (PPE, SCBA, handlights, TIC, etc). The drivers for the day will have all of thier equipment checks done by 0730, and by 0800 we're starting house duties.

I've firmly believed since recruit school that you're on time when you're 30 minutes early.

Forum Member

I know, it is an old post, but it is one I liked.

I arrive at my station for my 8:00 shift at about 7:20-7:30 every shift. The one time I had to fix my motorcycle on the way to work, I had to pull the seat and gas tank off to fix gas leaking from the fuel shutoff, and still made it to work 15 minutes early. I don't like to have to take an EMS run 5 minutes before shift change, so I try to be early for the next crew. I also do not like to be hurried in the morning. With the road construction in the area I live in, I can not rule out a traffic jam on the interstate everyday, so I PLAN on being in one.

Forum Member

I always show up 30 minutes early to pull my gear out check it out... look my rig over for any equipment changes that were not put on the board, get a full report of what went on the shift prior. If I'm driving then I do the driver check list. I see guys doing this stuff 3 or 4 hours after shift starts and find them at the computer looking "BUSY", hiding from the brass chatting or eating breakfast. Kinda dumb considering you can get a call in that time period. Oh well... lastly I also then wash the rig if it needs it. I guess I'm a model FF...

I am new where I am at BTW...

:-)
    "I don't wanna hear about it... I wanna see results!!!":-P

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CooterRob View Post
    I always show up 30 minutes early to pull my gear out check it out... look my rig over for any equipment changes that were not put on the board, get a full report of what went on the shift prior. If I'm driving then I do the driver check list. I see guys doing this stuff 3 or 4 hours after shift starts and find them at the computer looking "BUSY", hiding from the brass chatting or eating breakfast. Kinda dumb considering you can get a call in that time period. Oh well... lastly I also then wash the rig if it needs it. I guess I'm a model FF...

I am new where I am at BTW...

:-)
    Hey CooterRob, You interested in a career move???

Yes, you are a model FF compared to many I've known.

C6

Forum Member

my shift is 6am to 6pm. I get here at 6am, and I (hope) to be leaving at 6pm, when I am relieved by the night crew. I am expected to be in uniform with all my personal equipment and ready to go at 6am at my station. and I am paid for my 12 hour shift, and just my 12 hour shift.

I work a FT EMS job, but I would probably do the same if I was on a FT FD job. Maybe arrive 15 minutes early if we all had coffee together or something like that. and I would arrive 15-30 minutes early to prevent the night crew from a late job, but only if i knew that if the night crew did the same for me, and took a late job, I could leave early (when they left for the job) and still get paid for my full 8/12/24 hours.

Here is my point of view: I am paid to do a job. I don't work for free. It is my responsibility to make sure I am ready to do my job. That means I am in uniform, my PPE is in the same condition that I left it (good), and I am ready to do my job.

should a full debriefing occur? absolutely. should the truck checks be completed before the first run of the day? sure. should the apparatus be washed when it won't be interrupted? of course. you want to know how you would get me to come in an hour early to get this done? pay me for my time!!! or rather, let the off coming crew leave when their relief shows up, without docking his pay/timecard.

For those that come in an hour+ before shift change, and the off coming crew can't leave early, where does it end? come in early to check your gear. come in early to check your truck. come in early to get a full debriefing. come in early to check your FH.com email. come in to check your dept email. wash the floors. repair the burnt out bulbs in the apparatus bay. maybe even teach the guys how to use a new tool?

Even better, is it worked into your union contract that you are expected to show up for work an hour or more early for no compensation?

since coming in early appears to be very beneficial to your operation, why not add it to your contract that crews can come in early (and get paid for it), so you can get all the turnover stuff done, make sure everything is ready to go when the shift officially ends, and everyone is getting paid for the work they are doing?
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Let's talk fire trucks!

I come in early because I want to ensure that the rig is ready to go before I'm "officially" on-duty before 7AM.

I also relieve the off-going shift as soon as I get there, so if I 0630 call comes in (we have shift change at 7), they won't get stuck on it past the end of the their scheduled shift. The guys assigned to the medic for the day espically appreciate this.

The other two shifts do this also, so I don't have to worry about a drawn-out call close to shift change.

I don't mind "working for free" as you put it. I love the job, and don't mind getting their early to check my gear, rig, and other items to ensure when Ms Smith calls 911 at 0701 that I'm not at the mercy of the previous shift as to whether or not things are good to go. It's not because I don't trust them, it's because we're all human and mistakes happen.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Thread Information