Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default when are you late for work

our shift starts at 07:30 am. The chief wants everyone to report to work a few minutes early especially the ambulance crews to check thier equipment and have gear on the truck ready to respond no later than 07:30. There is a mind set that " I do not get paid until 07:30 I do not have to be here before 07:30. The other shift does not come in early for me why should I come in early for them." We have a few bell ringers that come in under the wire arriving at 07:28 every day, they are also the first to leave the next morning should someone come in early.

Forum Member

on my career dept we are on the clock at 0700 but alot of the guys dont get here till like 0655 or later on the departmet i work partime for you go on the clock at 0700 but it is understood that u need to be here at 0645 for debriefing its funny that on a fully career department they worry about getting here to early but on a combo they come in 15 min early for free because its of everyones best interest

Forum Member

Our shift starts at 0700. You are tardy at 0700.01 to 0705, late 0705.01 to 0715 and AWOL at 0715.01. It is all a matter of how much trouble you are going to get into. I try to arrive at 0630, my training chief in recruit school told us to give yourself enough time to change a flat and still make it in on time. our crew also looks out for each other. Myself and my captain get here about 0630, and the other two are here shortly after. So if someone is missing at 0645 they get a call on their cellphone, saved my butt on day-light savings time one year. We also do it to let the other shift leave on time and have the engine 100% ready at 0700.

I always try to be at least 15 min early. It is just common courtesy, if a call comes in at the end of the last shift you try to take it so the other guys can leave on time to take care of what ever else they have going on. And even futher than that I usaly have my radio on , on the way in so if they go out on an ambulance call I can just meet them there and switch out with one of the guys. Now my relief doesn't do it for me which is their choice however I just like to extend the courtesy and maybe one day it will come back to me, if not oh well at least I know I'm helping out the other guys when they have kids to get to or what ever else. As far as the bosses are concerned however your shift starts at 730 and you had better be there by 730, they might ride you if you are a minute man however what can you do if they are there when they are supposed to be.

Our duty shifts run from 0800 to 18:00 for days, 18:00 to 08:00 for night tours.

Most guys releive the offgoing crews about 30 minutes prior to the start of the shift. It is a courtesy. Of course, we have the guys that are there just a minute before the tour starts. The funny thing is...they wonder why they get the same treatment in return and are always seeking to be relieved early....

Being an officer.. I often don't leave the station until 20 to 30 minutes after my relief comes in.. for me, it's decompression time to try to leave "da job" at the station and not bring it home...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Our shift change over time is 0800 hrs. Every morning we have an alarm test at 0800 hrs, if your there before the bells, your on time, after, your late.
    Most guy's are in for their shift about an hour to 45 minutes before hand, again, as has been stated before, it's a simple courtesy thing. I don't know of anybody who likes getting that late morning run between 0730 and shift change, it seems to wreck a day every time.
    Of course though, if its a fire, guy's almost have fist fights to get on the rig.

MembersZone Subscriber

We change shifts at 0700 (24/48). Per FLSA you can be "forced" to work if you are present up to 10 min. prior to your shift. This ensures the crew going off that they don't get stuck on an hour long EMS call. What comes around goes around, and as someone else said those who com e in at 0658-59 are forced to go on calls right until 0700. FLSA also says you can be held over up to 10 minutes w/o OT. We still have problems with people coming in a few minutes over and are trying to develop appropriate rules and actions. The current policy doesn't deter anything.
    PS- If a fire blows in between 0650 and 0700 look out because the true duty shift might drag you out of the trucks to take the call.

Quote Originally Posted by alanservis
    We have a few bell ringers that come in under the wire arriving at 07:28 every day, they are also the first to leave the next morning should someone come in early.
    LOL...We have the same here.

Our change of shift is 0730. At my station, our normal crew all gets in around 0700. As a courtesy I put my gear on the rig as soon as I come in and am ready to go. Nothing worse then a late call.

I do this unless I know Im replacing one of the "minutemen" (the ones who come in at 0728). Then I just go upstairs, grab some coffee and read the paper.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Shift starts at 0700 (24hrs) It is usually up to the house captain when it comes to what time to come in. For most halls, 0615 is about as late as you would want to be. This way you can catch one for the guys going off. I wouldn't want to be a minute man.

MembersZone Subscriber

The book answer by us is you start at 0800 if you are not ready to go your late. Most guys are good enough about it to be 20 to 30 minutes early. By us a big no no is responding "from the gear rack" if its 0759:59 and your gear is still on the rig your going, even if the next shift is willing. So most guys will throw their stuff on when getting in, just so the off going guys don't get pinched.

FJ40Dave

I brought this issue up in my department (a couple years ago) .... and was met with a lot of resistance by the one's that are getting to work just before shift change.

It's still that way here.

I've concluded that it's the "culture" of an organization, as it's allowed by the peers within it.

I still get to work 15-20 minutes early.....because it's what I'm about.

I will not allow someone else's behavior affect my values in this regard.

For those of you that have consideration and respect for your coworkers by being considerate in this manner - Good On Ya Brother.

If you don't make this simple act of consideration and respect for your coworkers yet, give it a try......you may not see it in return (ever)......but you'll feel good about your higher ground values - especially when you can take a call 15 minutes before shift change for that coworker that wouldn't be there for you (and, ya build up the "bank" for those rare occasions when you are arriving at 5 minutes till!)

Sometimes, I wish we all would try and out do each other with kind and considerate acts :-)

MembersZone Subscriber

We hold Qtrs @ 0725 with shift change at 0730 or whenever Qtrs is over with.

I understand people running late for whatever reason, but one must fill out a leave chit if more then 10 min late.

Someone that wont be there for Qtrs, and brings up the "I don't get paid until 0730"....Well then thats ok also....you just wont leave early no mattter who's standing by for ya.

ITs give in take.....Give a little and you get a little.

Shift change is at 0800 by dept sop's. But 1. The better shift tend to arrive early most of my shift is in by no later than 0730 usually the majority of us are there at 0700-0715 we have a couple of stragglers that show up 10-15 mins till (we call'em minutemen) Usually if your going to be late you can call and someone will work until you get there, unless your a minute man then he's on his own. I've notice it varies from station to station and shift to shift but generally the better the crew then the earlier they get to work.

Forum Member

Our shifts change at 0800. If you are not there by 0700 you are kind of a jagoff. People have wives that need to get to work, kids that need to get to school, and whatever. By the book you are not allowed to relieve someone before 0700 but my whole shift gets there at 0630. We have one guy that gets there at 0530. As far as I know, no one has ever caught a beef for relieving someone too early. It's just common courtesy to let the guy go as soon as possible. The third shift does not relieve us as early but two wrongs don't make a right. I'm still there at 0630 every morning.

Forum Member

Our offical shift change time is 0700. Being a company officer I try to arrive by about 0615. This way I can relieve the other officer and catch any sick calls that may come in. Most of my crew is there no later than 0635, most of the time before that. We do have some guys that get there early in street clothes. Problem is they cannot respond to calls in that clothing. Lockers are in the bunkroom and they cannot get them until 0630 tones are sounded. This does not do much good if they are not ready when the late call comes in.
    K-9 hunt, the ultimate challange.
    EVERYONE GOES HOME
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

If you 20 mins early your 30 mins LATE

MembersZone Subscriber

My shift starts @ 0700, I work a 24/48 shift. I am at work no later than 0625, most of the others are at the station by 0640. We are not late until 0700, but coming in early gives us time to talk to the previous shift, drink a cup of coffee, and BS. We are in roll call room at 0657 and start the shift at 0700. I feel that coming in early is professional and helps relay information that may not be passed on via paper.

MembersZone Subscriber DjInferno's Avatar

After reading through this thread, something hit me. If a guy is willing to be on Firehouse.com, staying up with the job and the changes included in it, then that is probably the guy who gets to work early as a courtesy to off going shift. It would honestly surprise me to have someone post on here that is a "minuteman".

DJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Late

We start work at 08:00. You are late at 08:01 if not at the shift change table in full uniform.

Forum Member

My feeling is that if a person consciously chooses to be a firefighter...he or she won't mind...but will rather want to show up "early" to get ready for the day ahead whether or not the city's time clock starts at 7 or 8 or whatever.

If a person is worried about not receiving pay for the extra 10 minutes you arrive early...they should consider an alternate field for a career. I really can't see the benefit of "beating" the system for a couple minutes time in this career. Its not about that. They should consider working in a cubicle in an office where they may arrive at exactly 9:00am wearing a tie.

And...if your a salaried firefighter...then you really can't complain about a minute here and a minute there.

Even hourly union construction workers who travel distances for their jobs in their local must plan for the trip and be ready to work when they walk through the gate at the jobsite. They are not allowed time to "get ready" to work when 7:00am rolls around. Getting there and being ready is their problem...and they accept that or go home.

Thread Information