Forum Member

Exclamation Gas prices hurting fire service

Hello everyone, this thread is more directed towards the more rural stations, but just had to ask some opinions on it. In my county a normal station has 2 engines, a rescue or squad, brush truck, and a tanker (some also with a ladder), so when a structure fire tones, three stations are dispatched, this is for any type, alarm or conformed fire. Since the great jump in gas prices my fire country is in a permanent "Strom plan," which for those that don't know what that is, means one station, one engine, for one call, until notified further. Now this made since during a large amount of calls coming very quickly, such as during a storm ect, but In my personal opinion I think this is got to be the dumbest idea I've ever heard,(making this permanent)

I've been told we're going back in to our regular routine because of ios regs, but was wondering if anyone else was in the same kind of predicament.

Engineer
    Station 936

Forum Member

My Dept. is the same as you described, small rural, 2 engines, tanker, grass truck and a utility truck. Our proticalls are the same as you described for toned (structure) fires, aproximatlly 3 stations respond.

Fuel is high priced but so is letting someones house burn to the ground because you can only roll one engine. Our dept. will roll EVERY aparatus on every (structure) fire if necessary, high fuel or not.

As a tax payer, i'd be a little upset if my house was blazing and only one rig shows up, knowing full well theres another one sitting idle in the station.

PS: in my area one engine = 5 FF's max. So two mutual aid tones are dropped. Lets say another engine and a tanker, gotta have water, so thats 7 more FF's - 1 to run the tanker. 11 FF's on the fire ground + 1 running the tanker, no where enough for a well developed structure fire.

Forum Member

we roll a rescue a ladder and 3 engines or tanker/pumpers depending on the location"hydranted" but our chief has ok'd rolling additional apparatus with manpower so we dont have to take our personal vehicles and can save our own gas.

Forum Member

We have pretty much the same manning for our first alarm assignment.Most of our area is rural also.Thank God they havent cut back our response criteria because of high fuel price's! The fact is they can afford it anyway, and dont let them tell you they cant. Go Go IAFF. Sounds like a safety issue to me.Tell them to cut back on your local govt from getting new furniture this year.They are gonna have to cut back somewhere else.If they try that again and dont listen to your concerns try letting some concerned citizen's get involved. Ill bet you see some changes then! Just a thought

Thread Information