Thread: Fire Alarms

Forum Member

Default Fire Alarms

I need some help. I am looking for who can and can't reset fire alarms in high rise hotels or resorts. I need some insight on how to explain it to new firefightes in my sevice. we have new Lt's with no fire service back ground.

Forum Member

Varies state to state, even town to town in some places. Where are you located? I would suggest looking into your town fire codes and than more than likely you will have to refer to the state fire codes.

MembersZone Subscriber

How does one wind up with Lieutenants with no fire service background?
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Forum Member

New Lt's in a Fire service that is only five years old. lot of growing pains.

Forum Member

We are in Florida. and the problem is that from shift to shift they are not working togather to reach the same goal.

Forum Member

I believe this is probably a city or local government issue but I will tell you what our policy/practice is. From the time the fire alarm goes off until WE call the building clear and WE reset the alarm the building is "ours". This came from an incident before my time, their was a convention in one of our hotels and the manager didn't want to upset the convention (all about the money you know) and silenced the alarm and called our dispatch center to say their was no problem. So based on protocol one engine responded "with traffic" to verify that their was indeed no problem. Upon their arrival they noticed heavy smoke on the 6th floor of the b side and immediately called for a box. Fortunately no one was hurt and the fire turned out to be confined to a single room. A young man was trying to impress a girl lit candles etc.. and left to pick her up. Since then if staff resets an alarm they get a warning from the captain, next a visit from the PEO, third they are supposed to get fined but I don't know if that is ever followed up.

Forum Member

see what i need is some thing when my Captain shows up to give him a copy of. My sog's does not have any thing in them. and we play it by ear right know. some of use use some brains and don't reset the alarm until we get ready to leave. but we have people that reset it befor we even get there.the young Lt's dont have a problem with that but i do. but i am only the DE. and the Lt's will not lisen to the De's who have been in and around the fire service for 15 years 9 as a voly and the past 6 as career.

Forum Member

It appears that your "department" has a larger problem than the resetting of fire alarms!

Officers with no experience? How did the get promoted... a popularity contest?

By DE, do you mean that you are the Deputy?

Use your authority and put the pups in their place!

Suggest to your chief that now is the time to develop sop/sogs in reference to fire alarm responses and activation before the Department gets burned!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

DE= Driver Engineer they have just started to do so with SOG'g but the Lt's at the house diagree on who should reset the alarm. If it is us as a service us or the staff on hand at the resort.as for the New Lt's they had to be able to write two memos. no i do not agree with the way it was done but i an the the Driver nothing more. I just have the training to to help out when the new Lt's want to the help.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'll tell you right now that those lieu's are gonna be listening to you when the sh-- hits the fan. They are gonna be in over their heads and they are not gonna handle the panic they feel at some point. This is when you will have to be there for these kids! After an incident or two and gettin themselves in trouble, thats when their respect for you and your experience will come. I also got a problem with your Captain. He is right there in the ranks and hopefully he has some experience. He should be putting these kids in their place! Our job is to teach these people as they come up through the ranks to be better firefighters than we are. I wouldnt want to be interior with a bunch of guys who think they are officers but are not. I've seen this type cut and run when things went bad. Eveyone I've ever trained got all my knowledge and then learned more on their own and I have no problem going anywhere with them. Good luck with this situation, scares the hell out of me!

God bless and pull the ceiling as you go.

Forum Member

here we dont reset anything ..............may silence it at the panel .............but in NO WAY do we reset them.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

And that is what i try to teach but some people just don't get it. we silence the alarm but turn it over to the staff onsite to reset them

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fcfire1971
    I need some help. I am looking for who can and can't reset fire alarms in high rise hotels or resorts. I need some insight on how to explain it to new firefightes in my sevice. we have new Lt's with no fire service back ground.
    It depends on your area laws. If you are permitted to reset, DO NOT reset the system if you cant find the problem.

What I mean is, if an alarm is sounding, you check the building but cant find the problem like a box pulled, then you have a system malfunction. In this case, if you reset it, the alarm tech will not be abel to find the problem.

Trust me on this one, as an inspector of 12 years, Ive had many a conversation with alarm techs and they all say the same thing. Just silence it if you wish, but dont reset.

We only reset if we find a box pulled, or like last shift when someone was spray painting in a storage room and set off a detector. ONLY when we are able to identify and correct the problem do we reset. All other times we silence, require a fire watch be posted and make conntact with the alarm tech.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Dave1983
    thank you that is what i needed to know about it.

Thread Information