Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default volunteering in NJ

Hey ya'll my names andrew im from pasadena md orgionally been in the coast guard for a year and a half almost and im about ot transfer up to highlands nj to a search and rescue station and was interested in volunteering with a fire department. It is my number one career choice if i decide to get out of the military at the end of my enlistment. i had some basic questions if anybody knows anything about the nj certifacations... how does that work? I will be working a 48 on 48 off schedule with sliding weekends, will i be able to just do my training for the certifacation at the fire house like we do in the coast guard? All of our certs are done OJT, is it the same for the fire department or do i have to attend classes at night? and if so am i able to schedule them around my schedule? Any answers ya'll may have, or tips to make the process easier would be greatly appreciated, i do have some firefighting experience but its all shipboard, and some aircraft rescue/fire fighting procedures for the helo deck of my last ship, was also a hoseman for our GQ drills, don't konw if that will help at all... thanks for your time and answers.

Forum Member

coastiebm05,

Andrew, I'm in Pennsylvania but have ties with NJ. Still do not take everything I say as gospel.

First of all, you will find the Highlands area of NJ to be qute expensive. Nice but expensive. Anyway, FF1 in NJ is not recgonized nationally. This will probably only be a problem is you leave NJ but a paid FD will probably pay for your education anyway. Assuming that you join a volunteer outfit, you will almost certainly take FF1 school at Monmouth County Fire Academy in Howell. They have a web site so do a google.

Most likely you will be able to take fire classes eves or weekends beginning the first of the year. I'm fairly certain you will be able to work something out with them.

Good luck.

Tom

Permanently Removed

Go NJDOP website and take the Cival service test for firefighter

Career, caught ya again. You just can't answer a guys question can ya? What you replied had nothing to do with the question, so once again a non fact-based totaly off question post by a smuck. Dude it is now my personal goal to follow you to every forum and make a fool out of you until you can provide facts or say who you are to backup what you say and I encourage every other person on these boards to do the same. You have been reported to the webteam, and I encourage all others to do the same. Have a great day in your little corner.

Quote Originally Posted by MEck51
    Career, caught ya again. You just can't answer a guys question can ya? What you replied had nothing to do with the question, so once again a non fact-based totaly off question post by a smuck. Dude it is now my personal goal to follow you to every forum and make a fool out of you until you can provide facts or say who you are to backup what you say and I encourage every other person on these boards to do the same. You have been reported to the webteam, and I encourage all others to do the same. Have a great day in your little corner.
    He posted the same stuff in the New Jersey Forum.
    When opening up the roof remember plywood comes in 4' X 8' sheets.

www.94firedept.com

IACOJ proud member

Permanently Removed

I live in the USA and have free speech -if you don't like my speech don't listen- don't go threatening me you are going to tell on me- Suck it up-get over it and move on Have a good day-stay safe out there

Still no facts, can't back what you say? No answer to who you are, ashamed of the crap you post?

Forum Member

If you join Highlands fire dept. you will be going to the Middletown Fire academy. Classes are held tuesdays and thursdays 7-10 and every other saturday 8-4. And it goes for around 3 months. you have to attend most of the classes or you won't graduate. having experience will help you during the practical evolutions for won't get you out of any of the classes. any other questions im open to helping.

You know it took me a while to figure out what realy ****es me off about 1962 and it is not so much as his views on the subject as it is that he looks down upon people. It is a matter of acting as if you are better than someone else. Maybe a little thinking and logic would enlighten a person, but this is not the case when you act as if you are the greatest thing ever and anyone who does not do it your way is a piece of garbage. There are many different views upon any given subject, but to think that your way is the only way it should be is ignorant and uneducated.

Forum Member

Default ok

ok so far got what your saying, but my question is will i be able to schedule classes at other places also to make up the classes i have to miss due to duty standing? My new unit works a 48 hour on 48 hour off with sliding weekends.... how is that going to work for me? I really want to try and do this, and i would think there has to be a way for people in this situation, i mean im sure the state of new jersey volunteer departments have dealt with this situation before right? Thanks for all ya'lls help.
    Andrew

Most acadimies that I have worked with will allow you to go to another academy to make up this missed class. Now that is most places, I don't realy know a lot of the acadimies up there, there might be some kind of fued thing that would negate what I have already said. But for the most part places will work with you. It is about education and making sure you get what you need. Attitude will go a long way and it seems that you are interested enough to keep a good attitude. So once you get where you are going ask the bosses and they will give you the exact info relevant to that area, I am just speaking of the areas I have been and currently am in.

When I went to Middlesex Co. Academy if you missed any class (no absences allowed) you had to go to another section (time) to make it up. There were 3 sections going on simultaneuous when I was there, all about 2 weeks after each other, so if you missed one week you would go to the other sections class in 2 weeks and make it up.

Hope that helps.
    Piscataway Fire Dist #2
    Possumtown V.F.C.

Forum Member

If you go to Middletown FA you can't go somewhere else to make up the classes as far as i know. And they try to work with people that have problems attending the classes. But you can't keep missing classes. Just beacuse it is a volunteer academy doesn't mean they can't be strict.

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by coastiebm05
    Hey ya'll my names andrew im from pasadena md orgionally been in the coast guard for a year and a half almost and im about ot transfer up to highlands nj to a search and rescue station and was interested in volunteering with a fire department. It is my number one career choice if i decide to get out of the military at the end of my enlistment. i had some basic questions if anybody knows anything about the nj certifacations... how does that work? I will be working a 48 on 48 off schedule with sliding weekends, will i be able to just do my training for the certifacation at the fire house like we do in the coast guard? All of our certs are done OJT, is it the same for the fire department or do i have to attend classes at night? and if so am i able to schedule them around my schedule? Any answers ya'll may have, or tips to make the process easier would be greatly appreciated, i do have some firefighting experience but its all shipboard, and some aircraft rescue/fire fighting procedures for the helo deck of my last ship, was also a hoseman for our GQ drills, don't konw if that will help at all... thanks for your time and answers.

make sure you take the firefighter civil service exam looking under nj dop web page

Forum Member

he doesnt need civil service test to volunteer

Middletown, Monmouth, and even Ocean have fairly good working relationships with each other. We all tend to run classes around the same times but different days/times. Making up classes at another academy is normally not a problem but it is up to you to find a matching section at the other academies.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Quote Originally Posted by bobbeh728
    I told career1962 the same thing in another thread. I guess he dosn't listen to vollies.

www.94firedept.com

IACOJ proud member

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by PFDTruck2
    I told career1962 the same thing in another thread. I guess he dosn't listen to vollies.

NO I Don't

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by bobbeh728

You mean volunteer to take the civil service test

Quote Originally Posted by career1962
    NO I Don't
    Your loss.

www.94firedept.com

IACOJ proud member

Thread Information