Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default volunteering in NJ

Hey ya'll my names andrew im from pasadena md orgionally been in the coast guard for a year and a half almost and im about ot transfer up to highlands nj to a search and rescue station and was interested in volunteering with a fire department. It is my number one career choice if i decide to get out of the military at the end of my enlistment. i had some basic questions if anybody knows anything about the nj certifacations... how does that work? I will be working a 48 on 48 off schedule with sliding weekends, will i be able to just do my training for the certifacation at the fire house like we do in the coast guard? All of our certs are done OJT, is it the same for the fire department or do i have to attend classes at night? and if so am i able to schedule them around my schedule? Any answers ya'll may have, or tips to make the process easier would be greatly appreciated, i do have some firefighting experience but its all shipboard, and some aircraft rescue/fire fighting procedures for the helo deck of my last ship, was also a hoseman for our GQ drills, don't konw if that will help at all... thanks for your time and answers.

Permanently Removed

take the NJ Sate civil Service test under NJ Dept. of Personnell for firefighter- that is the best way to use your professional qualifications and become a professional ff.

As far as what I think is the main body of your question, No most of the training that a dept. would like you to do will not be performed in house unless you work with a large dept. As a matter of fact I can think of very few dept.s in jersey that will train you to FF1 which is the level that is state mandated min. in house. The only ones that I do know of are all career staff of which you are not eligible at this time. If you are looking for cert.s to help you get hired somewhere in jersey it realy doesn't matter a whole lot, you get hired based upon your test scores and being a vet will already place you high upon a list and better yet for you as long as you take the test while you are still enlisted the state does not require you to be a resident of a town of which you are applying to get residents preference. As far as if you want to go vollie just for getting a head start on your fire ed. most places will work with you and your schedule however realize that it won't be so much as them working around your schedule as it is that you will have to find time to make up classes that you miss.

Quote Originally Posted by career1962
    take the NJ Sate civil Service test under NJ Dept. of Personnell for firefighter- that is the best way to use your professional qualifications and become a professional ff.
    Notice the name of the thread?

I thought paid starts with a p not v.
    When opening up the roof remember plywood comes in 4' X 8' sheets.

www.94firedept.com

IACOJ proud member

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by PFDTruck2
    Notice the name of the thread?

I thought paid starts with a p not v.

What are you talking about ?

Thread Information