Thread: 1996 ideas

MembersZone Subscriber

Default 1996 ideas

Any ideas on next year. My dept. received 10 Questions ans updated 1099 for new turn-out gear and few other things for this year two weeks ago. In a previous year we got a grant for new SCBA, RIT pack, and frag shield for our cascade as well as a Holmotro Self-Contained rescue tool.

Last year we tried to get our 2nd due 1978 engine replaced, but we got DJ'd early. Our town is going purchase a new engine for us next fiscal year.

What are your thoughts on the possability of getting our 1975 tower ladder replaced next year. If we apply prior to even going to bid for the new engine, we will only have a 2000 engine that is less than 25 years old. We have no rescues, minis, or tankers. The tower ladder is low on milelage however (about 34,000), as our municipality is just 8,000 in 1 square mile. All but one 210 acre tract of land in our town is developed. That tract contains just one home (a 12,000 sq. ft. monster). All of the rest of our town is fully hydranted by a better than average water system with good hydrant spacing. Most of our budget is used to pay hydrant stand-by fees. (Almost 50,000 dollars worth.)

We currently have no other aerials within 10 miles. About 65 percent of our residents are renters, living in garder apartments, row-houses, old victorians chopped up into multi-family dwellings, apartments over stores in the buudsiness district, and in old mill type factories converted into apatrtments.

Just looking for some thoughts ans suggestions.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

So to reiterate the population/size part: You cover 8,000 residents in 1 square mile and there's a 12,000 sq ft home on 210 acres (.33 sq mi)? That's all the first-due is correct?

I'm not finding a whole lot of need for a new tower, especially given the small coverage area. Even without a pump you're looking at $500K for a new one easily, and like you said, it has the age, but not the high mileage to make it a priority. Only 23 truck awards were over $400K, so to get that much dough given your district size doesn't seem very competitive at all. If there is nothing else that you need of any priority, then to keep the cost benefit factor decent you could try refurb. Depending on call volume and other such numbers, that may not even been enough to make it past the computer either, regardless of how justifiable it is. It depends on the whole package, but I don't think the coverage area and population are big enough to make a replacement very competitive.

- Brian

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes, the population density info is correct. It is fairly dense with the exception of the one undeveloped tract (except for the one home). Our call volume isn't very high. When you exclude EMS likt assits and requests to drive the BLS units for our local vol. EMS provider we never exceed 200 runs per year. Do to the nature of our inhabitants our working building fire to run ratio is higher than normal.

All of our SCBA is up-to-date, and assuming that our questions are followed by an official award this year our turn-out gear will be in great shape.

Maybe we would be better off going for wellness/fitness or training next year? The county training acadwemy is just 4 miles out-of-town and we use it frequently. It provides all of thestandardized basic training. I really would like to have some dough to have a class put together for us on dealing with fire/rescue situations in attics of old wood-frame homes. We have a big problem with this. Often the indicators of people living in the attics like air conditioners are not present. Local code enforcement can't seem to keep ahead of the high occupant loading in the apartment units. Unfortunately this type of training wouldn't get a high priotity either.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Low call volume, close training facility, new SCBA and new PPE & engine on the way? I'd say you've got the problem everyone wants: very little to apply for.

If you look at the list of high dollar truck awards, there aren't many smaller areas getting that kind of replacement vehicle. In fact in the Notes section of the DHS workshop Powerpoint they flat out say that a $500K truck to a rural, low call volume department isn't going to happen. There's just not high enough of a cost-benefit. If I read it right and your other engine is a 2000 model, instead of buying a new one, convince the town to refurb the tower.

Several departments have refurbed Aerialscopes onto a new Pierce Chassis for about $350K, which is close to what you'd spend on a decently equipped custom pumper anyway. It's in the Apparatus Forum right now:
    http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=74417

Of course the price would vary depending on what tower you have and who you have do the work, that was just one of the examples I could find fairly quickly.

MembersZone Subscriber

1996 ideas .. ??

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by k3twpfire
    1996 ideas .. ??
    LOL...I wondered the EXACT same thing!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

I knew it!!!!, There is someone just as confused as I am!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey, flash, ALWAYS....when we doing lunch? You let FP pass by, but we can still do lunch sometime and start strategizing for '06 (or 1996 since we're in this Thread.) LOL

Thread Information