MembersZone Subscriber

Default Your Thoughts Please

I am a Vol. FF/EMT and have been for almost 5 yrs now. Wanting the advise of those with more experience in the Fire Service and in Investigations.
    I have been thinking about going to Investigations Classes, and wanted to know if I should wait untill I have more experience or go ahead and take the class when one comes around. We don't get to see many fires really, so I dont have alot of experience in that area. Mostly MVA's and Medical.
    Your opinion would be appreciated
    IACOJ Rookie
    IVFA

Cpt. Common Sents

Take the classes now. I haVE ALmost 5 in and my co doesnt see much fire either. I Finished my classes for NYS FIre Investigator last year, take the classes now, before anyone gives you bad investigation knowledge and it sticks in your head. I found that taking them before you have a bunch of knowledge is good, That way as you learn more about fire you can apply your investigation knowlegde. Learning both at the same time seams to have made it stick in my head a little more.

Forum Member

Any training is good. Even though you don't see many fires, those that you do see you will learn from once you are trained in what to look for. As time goes on, you can take updated classes or even re-take the basic class if you feel the need to do that, but you have to start somewhere.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for your thoughts guys, I appreciate it. Stay safe out there
    IACOJ Rookie
    IVFA

MembersZone Subscriber

yea, dont ever pass up a chance to train. you wont be any worst off if you to take it.
    Your a daisy if you do.

Forum Member

Firemanjoe, you sound like me when I was a yung lad! when I first started my life as a firefighter I had no idea that I would be in the possition that I am in today, and love what I do. We too run mustly medical and MVA's but when we do have that big one everyone points to me and tells me to attack! This started for me about 10 years ago. now we have just started a F.I.R.S.T. team in our area. Fire Investigators Responce Support Team. This is where we have Elkhart county Investigators (composed of about 19 fire dept.) on a call system to help any F.D. that needs it.
    It sound like you have the "itch"! I think you need to go for it. Just don't go Joe blow with it once you get certified. If you want your man it will take time to get him.
    Good Luck!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firemanbob37
    now we have just started a F.I.R.S.T. team in our area. Fire Investigators Responce Support Team.
    Ohhhh I like that name!!! We just recently changed our county "Fire Investigation Unit" (better known as the FIU) to the "Fire Investigation Team" (who they still call the FIU) in order to get more inline with the county "Rope Rescue Team", "Haz-Mat Team", and "Underwater Rescue Team".

F.I.R.S.T. team sounds more exciting, even if the second "team" in the title is redundant.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Forum Member

I think that if you take as much trainning as you can you will always be one step ahead. It looks good on resumes if you ever want a career in the fire service. If you don't get many calls that need investagtion maybe you could get on board with a big citys investagtion team and do some ride alongs go way to get experince.

Thread Information