MembersZone Subscriber

Default Volly to Full Time

I was wondering what it would take to switch a volly dept to a full time dept. We run our own ambulance service and it must be staffed 24/7. Currently we have a few full time guys during the day and a medic and basic (volly)on call at night. Our town is growing rapidly and the majority of all our new neighborhoods have houses over $300,000. I was wondering what it would take to possibly pass a bond issue or something of that nature to get us to be full time. We are having a problem getting EMT's to cover the on-call night shifts and if they dont we can lose our license. I would love to be full time as it has been my dream for years. Alot of the guys on my dept would like it as well and there has been some talk of shift work and whether or not we could go full time. So, any help anyone can provide will be much appreciated. Any studies done or numbers that would help me would be great, thanks!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jake2415
    I was wondering what it would take to switch a volly dept to a full time dept. We run our own ambulance service and it must be staffed 24/7. Currently we have a few full time guys during the day and a medic and basic (volly)on call at night. Our town is growing rapidly and the majority of all our new neighborhoods have houses over $300,000. I was wondering what it would take to possibly pass a bond issue or something of that nature to get us to be full time. We are having a problem getting EMT's to cover the on-call night shifts and if they dont we can lose our license. I would love to be full time as it has been my dream for years. Alot of the guys on my dept would like it as well and there has been some talk of shift work and whether or not we could go full time. So, any help anyone can provide will be much appreciated. Any studies done or numbers that would help me would be great, thanks!!
    To begin with you need call volume statistics to justify to the tax payers that the expedature is worth it.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default I do

I have all of our stats as I was the one to fill out our fire act grant this year. I just need to know what a bond issue consist of and any stories or tips from depts that have gone through this process, thanks!! (we run approx. 600 calls a year 85% medical)

Forum Member

Jake,

I'm a Career Member with a Combination Department which basically fits your situation. The company I work For is Volunteer except for the Six of us Career Personnel {4 Work Rotating Daywork 6a-6p, I'm on Monday through Thursday 6p-6a with a Volunteer Driver or EMT if one responds and we have a Weekender Fri-Sat-Sun 6p to 6a in the same boat as my-self.}

This company went to 24/7 Staffing back in March after missing over 40% of the ambulance calls after Mid-Night {I was previously assigned to 1600-2400 5 nights per week} Fire Responses here are just as bad.....There are 5 front line pieces of apparatus in this house {2 Engines, tanker, rescue, ladder tower} and if they're lucky on a good day and it's a confirmed working fire they might roll two pieces out with whatever Career Staff is on duty and maybe 10 Volunteers. EMS was and continues to be the biggest problem here.....Volunteers simply stopped riding the ambulance -- All they want to do around here is drive.

We have a process in place that bills medicare / medicaid or any other type of insurance that a patient has which in turn pays our salaries. Fire Company picks up our Health Insurance, Uniforms, required training, CEUs and basic equipment. Try looking into medical billing -- Once in place it can justify employees -- my recomendation is at least two Firefighter/EMTs on each shift

Thread Information