1 1.96%
  • A "read only" function

34 66.67%
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Guest" users

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

Thumbs down "Guest" users

I suppose that I could have sent the WT a PM on this, but I was curious about what some of the other, crustier members thought about the privileges extended to "guests".
    I took the time to register; jeez, I even spent the money for MembersZone, but if I want to come in, stir things up and remain TOTALLY anonymous, I simply come in as a "guest".
    Well, I think it is patently wrong. If someone wants to use this "private" forum, then I think that they should register the same as any of the rest of us. That way; any problems and it can be traced back to an ISP and whatever comes of it, comes of it.
    A "guest" can hop from computer to computer, even if they are permanently banned and in some cases, wreak havoc. Currently, I have a "guest" on my patoot over in the Illinois forums.
    Personally, I believe that a "guest" should have "Read Only" privileges. They want to post? Then sign up. If not; read and leave.
    So; here is my poll.
    Vote early; vote often.
    CR
    Last edited by ChiefReason; 10-11-2005 at 02:20 PM. Reason: spelling
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

I agree with With my esteemed Brother. Guests should be required to register if they wish to post. If they do not want to register, then they should have "read only" access.

After all, one must have pride to belong to any organization that would have me as a member!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

CR - This was explained to me by the webteam the other day... they update the databases every couple of days & everyone's 'guest' status then becomes a 'forum member' or whatever you have signed up for.

I am a 'guest' at the moment, but it is because my profile hasn't been updated to 'forum member'.. I only signed up for basic membership, but I AM a member, all the same... no non-members are allowed to ost on here, they have to have signed up for one of the packages for posting ability.

Hope this explains it for you.

Anita xxx

Exclamation

I am in agreement with both of these Brothers.

If you want to play, then PAY!!! Nothing more than scabs.

WT, please cut these folks loose. If not, let them be readers only and not posters!
    OUTSTANDING

Make It Happen

Never forget 9-11-2001
    343 Brothers Who Were MURDERED!!

gentlemen, if i'm not mistaken, the webteam has repeatedly said that the people really are registered, however they are new registers. it takes a few days for some bug to work it's way through the system (similar to the birthday issue) and it gets resolved.

i agree with you in principle, but any new person can sign up and post, it realy isn't that hard. even if you get banned, all you need to do is sign up with a new name.

some of the more seasoned posters (by post count only) have been on for months and years, while newbies might not have that many posts. however, anyone, both new and old, can post on any topic.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Quote Originally Posted by Proby1711
    CR - This was explained to me by the webteam the other day... they update the databases every couple of days & everyone's 'guest' status then becomes a 'forum member' or whatever you have signed up for.

I am a 'guest' at the moment, but it is because my profile hasn't been updated to 'forum member'.. I only signed up for basic membership, but I AM a member, all the same... no non-members are allowed to ost on here, they have to have signed up for one of the packages for posting ability.

Anita xxx
    No; that doesn't explain why a guest in the Illinois forums has had that dubious status for over a month.
    And unlike you-one who has contributed positive and productive dialogue to the discussions-he continues to snipe.
    He is upset because of my user name and my post count; both good reasons, I guess.
    And I want to "call him out", but I don't want to get admonished for being rude to a "guest".
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com

Anita xxx
    Like I said...

MembersZone Subscriber

Ditto- I pay there for I play

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Anita xxx
    I agree with the Brothers here. However, if as Proby notes, there is a delay of "Provisional Status" for registry, why is that? When I first signed in I was granted full post capability. Why is there a delay? Is it until a person can earn off their "Probie" stickers?

ps: WOW on the "read only"!
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefReason
    No; that doesn't explain why a guest in the Illinois forums has had that dubious status for over a month.
    And unlike you-one who has contributed positive and productive dialogue to the discussions-he continues to snipe.
    He is upset because of my user name and my post count; both good reasons, I guess.
    And I want to "call him out", but I don't want to get admonished for being rude to a "guest".
    CR
    Have you tried sending him a PM, noting your concerns over his posts?

Trying to resolve the matter privately is always better than turning a forum into a battle ground... everyone likes a good discussion but there are limits.

Oh.. I am glad you think my contributions are productive & positive.. I was wondering what the general consensus was... (just don't ask TH! )

Quote Originally Posted by DrParasite
    gentlemen, if i'm not mistaken, the webteam has repeatedly said that the people really are registered, however they are new registers. it takes a few days for some bug to work it's way through the system (similar to the birthday issue) and it gets resolved.

i agree with you in principle, but any new person can sign up and post, it realy isn't that hard. even if you get banned, all you need to do is sign up with a new name.

some of the more seasoned posters (by post count only) have been on for months and years, while newbies might not have that many posts. however, anyone, both new and old, can post on any topic.
    Then it's semantics. Change "guest" to "recently registered".
    Post count. Ah, near and dear to my heart. It doesn't mean squat, except that some have more to say than others.
    People get too hung up on post count and don't look at the substance/quality of the information getting out.
    It only takes 10 characters in a post. Your count could go up very quickly.
    It's not about the count. And never has been.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com

Red face

Proby1711
    Forum Member

I went to the bottom of the page and found Proby1711 name and clicked on it. It came up with her profile, with a picture of a kid and and tiger and said FORUM MEMBER!

Guess she is a member. :-)
    OUTSTANDING

Make It Happen

Never forget 9-11-2001

Question

[QUOTE=DrParasite]gentlemen, if i'm not mistaken, the webteam has repeatedly said that the people really are registered, however they are new registers. it takes a few days for some bug to work it's way through the system (similar to the birthday issue) and it gets resolved.

Did the birthday issue get fixed??? I still can't update my profile and see where there is a place for the entering of a birthday!
    OUTSTANDING

Make It Happen

Never forget 9-11-2001

Quote Originally Posted by allineedisu
    Proby1711
    Forum Member
    I went to the bottom of the page and found Proby1711 name and clicked on it. It came up with her profile, with a picture of a kid and and tiger and said FORUM MEMBER!

Guess she is a member.
    Of course I am a member.. i signed up for forum privaledges & that is what i got... but because my profile hasn't been updated & this birthdate glitch is still causing problems, I am still a 'guest' beside my posts...

I hope they get it all sorted out soon... might help toprevent further misunderstandings.

PS: allineedisu - that kid & tiger is the brilliant Calvin & Hobbes... comical geniuses of our time... I love their comic strips & have BOOKS of them at home.

Of all the many forums I'm on, I've never heard of such thing like this. You register and you show up as a registered member, not a guest until someone manually pushes a button. That doesn't make any sense, it isn't how the forum software works.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Have you tried sending him a PM, noting your concerns over his posts?

Trying to resolve the matter privately is always better than turning a forum into a battle ground... everyone likes a good discussion but there are limits.

Oh.. I am glad you think my contributions are productive & positive.. I was wondering what the general consensus was... (just don't ask TH! )
    No; it didn't send him a PM and won't.
    It's simple: you want to attack me in public, then I will defend myself in public.
    I have never taken a controversial stand on anything(cough, cough), so I don't understand why I am the target of some unsolicited attacks.
    I have never been suspended, temporarily removed or banned from these forums. And I am proud of that.
    Basically, I ask myself before I hit the "Submit" button: what would GEORGE do?
    That is the true litmus test.
    Right, Gonz?
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com

the brilliant Calvin & Hobbes
    Absolutely. Right up there with Dilbert, Blondie, Beetle Bailey, FoxTrot and Funky Winkerbean.
    But the best is Opus.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefReason
    Funky Winkerbean.
    You been on that weird name generator thread, Chief?

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

As I posted in another thread (now closed) this morning, they Webteam did say some time ago in the "New Forum Look" thread that there was a glitch since the changes to the forums. There are no guests, they are all registered members.

I really wish the Webteam would put up a sticky indicating that there is a glitch. I think it has something to do with the birthdate in the profile problem they've been working on but I could be wrong and it is a totally unrelated "glitch".

If you want to see anyone's profile, just go to the members list. Or when a member has the last post on a thread, you can access their profile from there and they will show as "registered".

I also sent them a PM this morning asking for a sticky regarding this issue as it is causing strife in a number of current threads.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Nice one, Sheri... respect to you.

If this has been a problem for so long, why no sticky before now?

Thread Information