Thread: Advice...

Forum Member

Default Advice...

Does anyone have any tips or advice with regards to how do you answer a question when asked? Who or what do you look at or focus on?

Do you focus on the actual person that asked the question, or more looking around at each person, or maybe just fix your eyes on an inanimate object?

This is something I have been pondering.. not real sure how to go about it.
    "A pint of sweat, saves a gallon of blood"

Forum Member

In what context? If you're at attention, look straight ahead. We are not told to do otherwise, and your superior will come to you if he must. When saluting, you face your head and eyes toward the person being saluted at the "Salute" command, before dropping your saluting hand to its normal position and facing forward again at the "Two" command.

Now, if this is about anything else, like normal conversation, well geez it's up to you.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

I think he meant more like during a job interview....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Yes, I was refering in the context of during an oral board interview. Sorry, I did'nt realize that I did not write that in there.

MembersZone Subscriber

What I've been taught would be to include everyone in on the answer. Always address the entire panel, not just the individual that asked you the question.

Staring at an inanimate object? definitely not for the entire duration of your answer but for a second or two to gather your thoughts and begin to speak would not be a drawback.

Good luck

Forum Member

OK, that makes sense. I've never been in front of a group of people interviewing me before so i'm trying to visualize how to "look" at multiple people at once.

edit: and thanks for the good luck!

Forum Member

Default Presentations

The problem with this or the other treads about oral board questions and answers is you get too many cooks in the kitchen. It seems everyone becomes an expert on how to get hired once they get hired. Have you noticed. Then, they're an instant expert how it should be done. Actually there are many who aren't even hired yet or who have taken few if any oral boards who are giving the advice.

Be careful. My son Rob says, "They're telling you how to do it if they were you. They're not you."

If you keep running around asking for everyone's opinion on this or that questions and answer you can quickly become confused and get analysis paralaysis.

Some will say, "Captain Bob" how can you help so many candidates without making them into clones?" Good question. Simple answer. The real reason is nobody else can tell your story! Nobody! When you start lacing your answers with your personalized experiences is where you start to shorten that gap between you and that infamous badge.

You need to put together a good script here: http://www.eatstress.com/workboolette.htm practice with a tape recorder to hear what the panel is going to hear out of your mouth and get a qualified coach to assist you with your presentation.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

I know that, I'm not trying to come across as asking you the exact answer to say... more of like you already said, i'm looking for a basis to answer with and then taking the advice I get and putting it into my own life and experiances.

MembersZone Subscriber

Chaos,

You'll never be able to make eye contact with everyone at once, Just take your gaze off of one individual and move to the next as you are speaking.

I'm sure you've seen good public speakers before. These are the people who look at everyone as they are addressing a crowd. That's what I'm getting at. And if you haven't seen this before, go down to your town hall and watch some of the people there. You'll get a good idea of people who can do it and those who look a little shakey.

I'm not at all implying that I'm an expert in this matter nor do I consider myself another "cook in the kitchen". Twenty years of my life have been spent speaking publicly and I'm still learning to this day. Just thought I could lend a hand.

Forum Member

thank you very much Gus. I kinda got the idea. Just kinda move down the line as i'm talking.. I figured maybe just "look" in their direction as I go down the line, and not so much looking directly at someones eyes.

Thread Information