Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Quick question, possibly not so quick answer

How is everyone doing? Im not sure if I am posting this in the right forum or not, so if I am please foregive me. I have been interested in becoming FDNY since I was a little kid. born and raised in Brooklyn, NY. Currently I am in Texas, just getting back from the middle east (Bahrain). I am currently doing me time in the navy. I'll be getting out approx. may 2006. I wanted to know once I get home, what exactly would I have to do to get the ball rolling. What is the process I would have to take, and any other information would be greatly appreciated.
    Also, one set back I have is I have a G.E.D.. Would that hold me back from anything at all? Thank you for your time and effort in giving me advice and helping me.

ICFN Hamouch, Allen A.

See the back of that line? -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------> step there, and NO cutting!

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't think the GED will hold you back, normally the requirement is a High School Diploma OR GED.

You might be able to get the ball rolling now. You said you're in the navy, they do have a firefighter program~look in to it(though that might mean more years in the navy)!

When you do get back, apply for fire departments and get practice.

General requirements
    21-35 years of age
    US citizen
    valid drivers license
    high school diploma or GED

Hiring process
    (orientation)
    writen exam
    physical agility exam
    oral board(interview)
    After passing that the fallowing ocurs in any order
    polygraph
    drug test
    psychological exam
    medical exam
    background investigation
    oral board
    If there is a job opening available and you've passed all that then comes...
    probation period
    fire academy
    (paramedic)
    Must be completed during this period, completion of paramedic depends on that departments requirements, also look into residency requirements.

I don't think I missed anything.

Good luck.
    An education is only wasted when the taught individual chooses not to recognize the value of the lesson.

I believe that the FDNY requires a minimum of two years of college credits in order to apply. Go the the FDNY's official website.. they will have all the info there.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thread Information