Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Default Breaking News: Explosion in Vic West!

Just before 8am calls started coming into the radio station I'm listening to saying there was a huge explosion near the Gorge. Speculation was that it was a propane tank, maybe at the Petro-Can gas station. No smoke plume was seen. Shook things up a bit quite far away. One caller suggested it was at Budget Steel.

After the news guy talked to the Victoria Fire Department it had been determined that it was at Budget Steel in Vic West. Apparently there was a stick of dynamite in the trunk of a car that was being crushed. There have been some injuries, at least one worker was close by, but it appears there were no SERIOUS injuries.

http://www.budgetsteel.com/tour.htm
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

WOW and considering the amount of metal scrap in that yard, limited injuries is a wonder. Although I suppose the crusher would have contained most of the explosion forces. Being a big metal box and all.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

I'll let you know some more details when they come in.

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

BC on scene said it isn't confirmed that it was dynamite. They have a sniffer dog from the cops there now making sure there isn't another stick of dynamite in the car.

Fire department has left the scene because there was no fire. And the BC confirmed there were no injuries.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Darn, I hate it when I leave my dynamite it the car!!
    9/11/01 Never forget Never forgive

Dusty, working on Crusty IACOJ

Forum Member

I know some parts of the USA where blowing up dynamite in cars is perfectly normal. Usually it is preceeded by "HEY YA'LL!! WATCH THIS!"
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Anyone climbing off of one of our rigs that says"Hey y'all,watch THIS!"is not allowed on an entry team for three calls.
    Glad it's turning out that no one was hurt.Have they found out who had the dineemite(as Walter Brennan called it in" Rio Bravo")yet?

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire
    I know some parts of the USA where blowing up dynamite in cars is perfectly normal. Usually it is preceeded by "HEY YA'LL!! WATCH THIS!"

Forum Member

Big story on the news, they are still investigating of course. Apparently a load had just come in from Campbell River and put into the "shredder". They aren't ruling out dynamite and they aren't ruling out vandalism.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Explosion rocks industrial site
    Mystery blast that was felt blocks away originated in Budget Steel's shredder

Bill Cleverley
    Times Colonist

Thursday, October 13, 2005

CREDIT: Ray Smith, Times Colonist
    Budget Steel employees and Victoria police discuss explosion that happened on the premises Wednesday morning. The police brought in a sniffer dog to help with their investigation.

Vic West and downtown Victoria residents received a rude awakening Wednesday when something exploded in Budget Steel's large shredder on Pleasant Street. It created a bang loud enough to rattle windows blocks away.

"People almost a mile away felt it," Victoria Const. Rick Anthony said. "Guys were in the ABC Restaurant on Douglas and they felt the building shake."

Terry Feesey, who was in his garage on the Gorge near Harriet Road, expected "pieces to start falling out of the sky" after hearing the massive explosion.

"It was in the 'somebody's going to be hurt' size of bang," Feesey said.

Luckily, no one was hurt.

Police and fire personnel rushed to he scene at about 7:50 a.m. The shredder area was taped off and an explosives-sniffing dog brought in.

"C-FAX (radio) is telling me it was a propane tank but we don't think so," Budget general manager Irene Gowler said.

Radio also reported that the explosion occurred while a car was being crushed but that too was false, she said, adding that Budget has a drop box where people can bring items. There had been some speculation that perhaps an item that caused the explostion was left there.

"We don't know," said Gowler. "It's only speculation. The only other things that were in the shredder were our own loads which had been picked through."

Gowler said security is on duty all night.

"We've checked both loads that came in. There was nothing wrong with them but definitely something went through there, so we're looking to see what it is."

Police all but eliminated a propane tank as the cause within a couple of hours, Anthony said. They have an ex-navy ordnance expert on staff who was on scene and the dog team was unable to detect explosives residue, he said.

"However, the area was quite restricted that they could search because of the incredible amount of very sharp objects -- metal and glass -- that would have damaged the dog's feet and legs," Anthony said.

"It's not uncommon for explosive material such as dynamite or TNT or black powder or other related compounds to sometimes get disposed of in a careless or improper manner. Maybe it was stored in something someone forgot about and then it ends up in a crushing compound," he said. "Apparently, if it's subjected to a crushing force, especially if these things are unstable due to age, it can result in unexpected detonation."

Anthony said, while there's no guarantee there aren't more explosive substances, officials are fairly confident that it was an isolated incident.

"I don't think there's any indicator of foul play or criminal intent. Why would anybody wait until it was in a crushing yard? But the people at the yard are very lucky. It was fairly significant and it did a fair bit of damage to the crushing machine and surrounding area."

Times Colonist (Victoria) 2005

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Thread Information