Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber SamsonFCDES's Avatar

Default DHS/AFG Grant Funding General Discussion

The NYC grant thread brings up interesting points.

How should the pie be cut?

One of the questions that I had that still is up in the air is in regards to needs?

This question goes out to all large metro departments, FDNY in particular.

Many say you need more grant money.

My question is what are your needs?

What critical needs do you have that are not being met that fall under the guidlines of the grant programs?

AFG in particular.

Question 2.

In 2003 FDNY recieved $750,000 from AFG under fire ops and safety.

What were the needs sited?

What did the FDNY buy?

Also, could I get a copy of the grant narrative for the FDNY in any year of AFG? I have always been curious as to what the grant app from the biggest city/FD in the US would be like? Is there a web source for that?

Not nit picking or point any fingers.

As I said in the other thread that if the FDNY and other huge metro FDs have critical unmeet needs they by golly we need to pull together as a nation to address those needs!

On the flip side I feel the same way about Padooka Vill in Hazard county USA! If there are first responders out there with critical needs, and especialy safety needs, then we need to fix that!

Its a disgusting thought that there are first responders serving their communities, their nation, whom do not have basic safety and fire fighter gear!

Its a Damn disgrace.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Question 2. In 2003 FDNY recieved $750,000 from AFG under fire ops and safety.
    I think that was under the Fire Prevention portion.

Have you posted this under the grant topic in the forums? You may get answers quicker...
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

MembersZone Subscriber SamsonFCDES's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DianeC
    I think that was under the Fire Prevention portion.

Have you posted this under the grant topic in the forums? You may get answers quicker...
    No, didnt post there. Thought there would be more traffic here.

I looked up specificaly the Ops and Safety AFG. There definatly was a 750,000 grant in 03.

Cant find on the web what it was all about.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

This could be it (I Googled FDNY $750,000):

http://www.house.gov/apps/list/press...812200004.html

"He noted two grants, one obtained by the FDNY for $750,000 for two operational initiatives, a video conferencing distance learning program and emergency command board development. The second was for the FDNY Fire Safety Foundation for $670,000 towards "much needed fire safety education programs in underserved areas of the City."

Or this (I Googled FDNY $750,000 2003):

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/idea...p-170398c.html

"The feds are giving the FDNY only $750,000 to prepare for the attack that Washington officials said yesterday appears to be coming our way. That comes to the grand sum of nine cents for every man, woman and child in New York City.

Three-quarters of a mil won't even buy you a pair of fire trucks in this town.

Mind you, under the Assistance to Firefighters Program, grants are capped at $750,000 for any major metropolis. But based on the math, New York being the largest U.S. city, our per-capita take is by far the lowest in the land."
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Thread Information