Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MembersZone Subscriber

Berwyn FD, pay attention. READ the article from October, this roof was CUT by the SCFD. How do you come up with,"regardless what anyone says, this roof has self vented..?" Were you there? NO. Have you talked to anyone from SCFD? Not likely, since you didn't mention it. "It looks like the shakes are doing a good job." What kind of statement/experience is this that you are talking about? Do shakes ventilate? Look at the pictures from the article, the FFs CUT the roof, as stated in the article. Get over this "self vented" fear. If a fire has self vented, it may have done so in a place where it will not aid FFing. This does NOT mean a truck company cannot go to the roof or that you have to immediately go defensive. This is why we sound a roof, determine what is under it structure-wise, have a safe and competent operation, and communicate with interior Fire attack about conditions. You may have to ventilate a roof that has self vented. The self venting may be in the rear of a structure, but the attack teams may have to enter the front and need ventilation in order to make an interior attack. There are no absolutes, as you should know. Again, GET THE FACTS/EXPERIENCE.

Unless theose photos were doctored, everything in this thread is speculation/opinion. I stated what I saw in the pictures. I wasn't there nor stated what the facts were.

Why so defencive about this? Why not try and learn from others, including things gon wrong. A NIOSH fatality report should be the last defence for learing how to operate safely.

Quote Originally Posted by kieranhope
    Berwyn FD, pay attention. READ the article from October, this roof was CUT by the SCFD.
    Sorry friend, but that 1st photo shows a self vented roof. Nothing has been cut. Unless you Bros vent roofs out there by chopping little holes in multiple places.

So, unless the photos are not in the right order time wise, or they are going to do a trench cut, they shouldnt have been on that roof.
    Last edited by Dave1983; 11-29-2005 at 05:17 PM.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber

Here's something that is not speculation:

At its largest, these photos show about 50 sq. ft. of roof surface. These photos were also taken with a telephoto lens, which skews the depth of field.

It is impossible for any of you to make any type of intelligent judgement about what you are seeing unless you have a WHOLE lot more information than what you see in these photos.

That is not speculation. That is fact.

Unless you Bros vent roofs out there by chopping little holes in multiple places.
    Actually, a few (if not many) CA fire departments do make many little holes while venting. They use them as inspection holes, ways to check progress, ways to find where the larger vent holes need to be cut, etc. So, it is quite possible they did make a bunch of little holes in multiple places.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

firefighter7160
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default 1

----------
    Last edited by firefighter7160; 11-15-2007 at 10:46 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NDeMarse
    Engine that goes to 2 fires a day? I gotta find this place. Where is it bro? I thought that all went away with the 60's & 70's.
    Utopia does exist. pack my gear here I come..
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Forum Member

i agree with pfd4life, i am gonna start testing there ASAP lol
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    It is impossible for any of you to make any type of intelligent judgement about what you are seeing unless you have a WHOLE lot more information than what you see in these photos.
    Ah, it's always nice to see that *somebody* gets it.

Brian
    Please no e-mail. Public replies only. Thank you!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF
    So, enighten us all - where is pine bluff? It must be a ghetto to get "at least two house fires a day". I'm curious where this suspiciously rural sounding ghetto is!
    Pine Bluff, Arkansas. Population 57k+. In the middle south part of Arkansas along the Arkansas river.

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Bluff WebPage
    Fire Protection
    The Pine Bluff Fire Department has 91 firefighters operating from seven stations. The department has pumpers at all stations plus reserves, two ladder companies and a hazardous material unit.
    Firefighters are also trained as first responders and emergency medical technicians and are dispatched to medical calls as well.
    Fire protection is provided to the rest of Jefferson County by various volunteer departments. Emergency personnel can be reached by dialing 911. White Hall Fire Departmentís non-emergency number is 247-0099 and the Pine Bluff non-emergency number is 543-5150.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RadRob
    Pine Bluff, Arkansas. Population 57k+. In the middle south part of Arkansas along the Arkansas river.
    I just looked at the city web site - it looks like a friggen Norman Rockwell town. Where do all these fires happen?????

So, enighten us all - where is pine bluff? It must be a ghetto to get "at least two house fires a day". I'm curious where this suspiciously rural sounding ghetto is!

Pine Bluff, Arkansas?
    Here I thought maybe he was from Benton Harbor, MI, or some of those southside suburbs near your city. Iíve been to Arkansas, itís beautiful country, very scenic, not enough skiing for my taste, though.
    The web site I did find for PBFD didnít contain a lot of info, with regard to stats, call volume or otherwise.

Forum Member

I just looked at the city web site - it looks like a friggen Norman Rockwell town. Where do all these fires happen?????
    Maybe they have a training facility that they set up a smoke machine 2 times a day and consider that rolling on a structure fire. At the rate of 2 per day, there would be nothing left in this town in a relatively short time. Not believable.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RadRob
    Maybe they have a training facility that they set up a smoke machine 2 times a day and consider that rolling on a structure fire. At the rate of 2 per day, there would be nothing left in this town in a relatively short time. Not believable.
    Hahahahahaha!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jasper45
    Pine Bluff, Arkansas?
    Here I thought maybe he was from Benton Harbor, MI, or some of those southside suburbs near your city. Iíve been to Arkansas, itís beautiful country, very scenic, not enough skiing for my taste, though.
    The web site I did find for PBFD didnít contain a lot of info, with regard to stats, call volume or otherwise.
    What, you're not taking the family to Benton Harbor for a nice little getaway? I guess getaway is the operative word there!

I have a friend in the home construction business I am gonna tell him about this Pine Bluff AR. With 2 house fire/day I bet the construction industry is one heck of a good job.
    A "Good" fire is not measured by how big it is, but by the fact that everyone is going home safe, and that we possibly learned something new about firefighting. Member:IACOJ

Forum Member

Maybe his idea of a house fire is alittle different than the rest of us. I know our busiest companies dont average 2 jobs a day. Never cut a hole, I guess not, your a friggin ENGINE company. Have your LADDER companies cut any?

Forum Member

But at what point do you get the H outta Dodge?The pics I saw looked like the roof was about gone.Maybe I am wrong.
    My department has an SOP that we don't go on the roof if the fire's been going for more than five minutes.As we are a volunteer department,all we know for certain is how long it took to get a pumper on the scene.

Quote Originally Posted by len1582
    Good points kieranhope. I also feel there's a need for roof work to make sure the task is done right....moseley if the wind shifts take a breath, turn your face away from the cut, and squat down. When it clears start cutting again.

Thread Information