Thread: Comics

Forum Member

Default Comics

Ok. So I was reading in the "Guest user" thread and somehow for a short time it got turned into the "best comics" thread. Which leads me to this thread - what was your favorite comic of all time? Please give a reason too.

I'll start with Bloom County. I still think Berkely Breathed is one of the funniest writers of all time. The story he wrote about his first painting in high school - he painted an astronaut in space whose head was exploding - actually a really good painting. He titled it "Gesundheit." His art teacher told him it was terrible, and that he was going to be rich.

Forum Member

Ok. Part of my reason for this thread is that I'm at work, it's now 20:52 and we haven't had a darn thing all day.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Plattsfire2
    Ok. So I was reading in the "Guest user" thread and somehow for a short time it got turned into the "best comics" thread. Which leads me to this thread - what was your favorite comic of all time? Please give a reason too.
    Sorry Platty - I think that was my fault.. someone remarked on my avatar...

Anyway... its got to be Calvin & Hobbes for me... one of the greatest strips to ever grace a newspaper. It is just hilarious the way you see everything from Calvins point of view... his daydreams, his conversations with his stuffed tiger... I have quite a few C&H books too... nothing compares to the genius of 'Revenge Of The Baby-Sat' or 'Something Under The Bed Is Drooling'.
    Anita Nesbitt - Chef Extraordinaire
    Never Forget The Brothers - 343 - 9.11.01 - Always in our hearts...
    Stay safe... you never know whats round the next corner
    Go Yankees... Derek Jeter rules!!!
    Go Penguins... Crosby 87... #1 Draft Pick '05

Cpt. Common Sents

Hagar the Horrible.

YARRRRRR!!!!!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nbfcfireman
    Hagar the Horrible.

YARRRRRR!!!!!!!
    Was that a personal statement, nbfc?

Forum Member

This is a tough one....

Calvin and Hobbs
    The Far Side
    Bloom County
    Peanuts
    Non Sequiter
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 10-12-2005 at 10:27 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber
    Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

OK.............can you guess what my favorite would be?
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by arhaney
    Garfield?

AAAAACK!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by arhaney
    Gotta love Opus...but I have to say, it hasn't been the same since they started re-printing them.
    As for me, I gotta go with Gonzo's list...especially The Far Side
    The comments made by me are my opinions only, not of the Fire and EMS services I am affiliated with.

I have lost my mind..has anyone seen it? it's not worth much..but it's mine

MembersZone Subscriber

Can't get through the day without "Get Fuzzy".
    Bucky, Satch and Rob Wilco is too funny.
    We named our Siamese...
    But our dog is Chopper.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber

But on Sunday, which is the only day around here that it's in the paper is Opus. It is timeless.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Cpt. Common Sents

yeah that was a personal statement. It just erupted from my Norwegian heritage when I saw hagar

Forum Member

yeah that was a personal statement. It just erupted from my Norwegian heritage when I saw hagar
    *chuckle*

MembersZone Subscriber

Calvin and Hobbes is definitely at the top of my list.

Some others in the top five would probably be:

Peanuts
    B.C.
    Dilbert
    Frank and Ernest

Nobody call the copyright police on me.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by mcaldwell; 10-13-2005 at 12:01 AM.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Cpt. Common Sents

Alright...I am about to do something drastic....I think I will CHange my avatar!!!!

Forum Member

User Friendly:
    http://www.userfriendly.org/

Waaay funny, but then again I'm a bit of a geek.

Get Fuzzy is great as well
    We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering.

MembersZone Subscriber

Forum Member

Alright...I am about to do something drastic....I think I will CHange my avatar!!!!
    Love the new avvie, nbfc... YAAAAAAAAAAAAAR!!!

Also, I agree with those who love The Far Side... funny stuff.

Forum Member

The "FAR SIDE". It seems to hit home at work.
    When opening up the roof remember plywood comes in 4' X 8' sheets.

www.94firedept.com

IACOJ proud member

Forum Member

Beetle Bailey of course !
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Cross between Hagar and BC with a smattering of Raeside.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

While I agree that Far side is a funny comic, I am going to have to go with Calvin and Hobbes. Some people that know me think that I kinda look like calvin, (Artie?) and others think that I have the same personality. Man I miss that comic.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

My favorites are:

Calvin and Hobbes ( I see my son being like this in a few years)
    The Far Side
    Foxtrot
    Zits
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Default Came across this looking for something else LOL ...

'Calvin and Hobbes' Creator Keeps Privacy

By JOE MILICIA

CHAGRIN FALLS, Ohio (AP) - Maybe someday, officials will put up a statue marking this quaint village as the birthplace of ``Calvin and Hobbes.''

Just don't expect cartoonist Bill Watterson to attend the unveiling ceremony. It's been nearly 10 years since he abruptly quit drawing one of the most popular comic strips of all time. Since then, he's been as absent as the precocious Calvin and his pet tiger, err, stuffed animal, Hobbes.

Some call Watterson reclusive. Others say he just likes his privacy.

``He's an introspective person,'' says his mother, Kathryn, standing at the front door her home, its yard covered by a tidy tangle of black-eyed Susans and other wildflowers. It's where Watterson grew up. Calvin lived there too, so to speak. Watterson used the well-kept, beige Cape Cod-style house as the model for Calvin's home.

You might even expect Calvin to come bounding out the door with Hobbes in tow, the screen door banging behind them. After all, the guy on the front porch kind of resembles Calvin's dad. Readers will remember him as the exasperated patent attorney who enjoyed gummy oatmeal and jogging in 20-degree weather.

Sure enough, Watterson's father, Jim, has a sheen of sweat on his neck, not from a run but from the 73-year-old's three-mile morning walk.

Watterson has acknowledged satirizing his father, who is now a semiretired patent attorney, in the strip. Jim Watterson says whenever Calvin's dad told him that something he didn't want to do ``builds character,'' they were words he had spoken to his cartoonist son.

After ``Calvin and Hobbes'' ended, Jim Watterson and his son would paint landscapes together, setting up easels along the Chagrin River or other vistas. He laughed that sometimes they'd spend more time choosing a site than painting. But they haven't painted together for years.

So what's Watterson been up to since ending ``Calvin and Hobbes?'' It's tough to say.

His parents will say only that he's happy, but they won't say where he lives, and the cartoonist could not be reached for an interview.

His former editor, Lee Salem, also remains mum, saying only that as a painter Watterson started with watercolors and has evolved to oils.

``He's in a financial position where he doesn't need to meet the deadlines anymore,'' Salem says.

Watterson's parents respect - but have no explanation for - their son's extremely private nature. It doesn't run in the family. Kathryn is a former village councilwoman and Jim is seeking his fourth council term this fall. Their other son, Tom, is a high school teacher in Austin, Texas.

Bill Watterson, 47, hasn't made a public appearance since he delivered the commencement speech in 1990 at his alma mater, Kenyon College. But he recently welcomed some written questions from fans to promote the Oct. 4 release of the three-volume ``The Complete Calvin and Hobbes,'' which contains every one of the 3,160 strips printed during its 10-year run.

Among his revelations:

He reads newspaper comics, but doesn't consider this their golden age.

He's never attended any church.

He's currently interested in art from the 1600s.

Salem, who edited thousands of ``Calvin and Hobbes'' strips at Universal Press Syndicate, says that Watterson is private and media shy, not a recluse. Salem didn't want to see the strip end, but understood Watterson's decision.

``He came to a point where he thought he had no more to give to the characters,'' Salem says.

``Calvin and Hobbes'' appeared in more than 2,400 newspapers during its run, one of the few strips to reach an audience that large.

Its success was rooted in the freshness of Calvin - an imaginative 6-year-old who has the immaturity of a child and the psychological complexity of a 40-year-old. As for Hobbes, the device of Calvin viewing him as alive and everybody else seeing him as a stuffed animal was simply brilliant, Salem says.

Their all-encompassing bond of friendship - being able to share joy and have fun together, yet get angry and frustrated with one another - was another reason for the strip's success.

Universal would welcome Watterson back along with ``Calvin and Hobbes'' or any other characters he dreams up. ``He knows the door's open and he knows where we are,'' Salem says.

There are few signs of Watterson or ``Calvin and Hobbes'' in Chagrin Falls, a town of 4,000 that has evolved from a manufacturing hub centered on its namesake falls to an upscale area of stately homes and giant maple trees.

A Godzilla-sized Calvin is depicted wreaking havoc on Chagrin Falls on the back cover of ``The Essential Calvin and Hobbes,'' released in 1988. He's carrying off the Popcorn Shop, where sweet smells have flowed from its spot on the falls for about 100 years.

Fireside Book Shop, located just out of earshot of the water's roar, carries 15 different ``Calvin and Hobbes'' books - customers used to be able to find autographed copies. Store employee Lynn Mathews says Watterson's mother used to deliver the signed copies to raise money for charity or just to help the book shop. That ended when the cartoonist discovered that some ended up on eBay, she said.

The demand remains, though.

``I get a couple e-mails a month from people looking for signed books,'' said Jean Butler, Fireside's officer manager.

Watterson and his wife, Melissa, moved earlier this year from their home in the village - a century house on a hill between downtown and the high school, where the mascot is a tiger.

As a child, Watterson knew he would be an astronaut or a cartoonist. ``I kept my options open until seventh grade, but when I stopped understanding math and science, my choice was made,'' he wrote in the introduction to ``The Complete Calvin and Hobbes.''

He loved ``Peanuts'' as a child and started drawing comics. He majored in political science at Kenyon. Thinking he could blend the two subjects, he became a political cartoonist but was fired from his first job at the Cincinnati Post after a few months. So he took a job designing car and grocery ads, but continued cartooning, even though several strip ideas were rejected.

But Universal liked ``Calvin and Hobbes'' and launched its run Nov. 18, 1985, in 35 newspapers. Calvin caught Hobbes in a tiger trap with a tuna sandwich in the first strip. He spent the next 10 years driving his parents crazy, annoying his crush, Susie Derkins, and playing make-believe as his alter egos Spaceman Spiff and Stupendous Man.

Many of the best moments, though, were time spent alone with his pal, Hobbes.

``The end of summer is always hard on me, trying to cram in all the goofing off I've been meaning to do,'' Calvin tells Hobbes in an Aug. 24, 1987 strip, the two sitting beneath a tree.

Watterson ended the strip on Dec. 31, 1995, with a statement: ``I believe I've done what I can do within the constraints of daily deadlines and small panels. I am eager to work at a more thoughtful pace, with fewer artistic compromises.''

The last strip shows Calvin and Hobbes sledding off after a new fallen snow. ``It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy ... let's go exploring!'' Calvin says in the final two panels.

Fans cried out in letters for Watterson to change his mind. Some, like Watterson's parents, say the funny pages haven't been the same since.

``It was like getting a letter from home,'' Jim Watterson says of reading his son's work each morning.

People continue to ask the Wattersons if their son will ever send Calvin and his buddy Hobbes on new adventures.

``He might draw something else, but he won't do that again,'' Kathryn Watterson says.

On the Net:

Chagrin Falls: http://www.chagrin-falls.org/

Universal Press Syndicate: http://www.amuniversal.com/ups/index.htm

10/22/05 16:34
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

I like most comic strips.I'll read the ones with political bent but would prefer they be on the editorial page where they belong.
    Snoopy sharing the same page with Boondocks ranting about GWB doesn't seem right to me.
    One thing I enjoyed about reading the paper when my eldest nieceling was little was her crawling up into my lap and explaining what was happening in the strip.
    You think"Calvin and Hobbes"was an interesting view of the world through a child's eyes?Try C&H as filtered through a 3 year old learning to read.

Thread Information