Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Question Hydraulic reel swivel packing failure!

We have 3 (new) Hannay hydraulic hose reels which were setup with EPR type swivel packing for use with Hurst phospate ester fluid. The fluid apparently attacked the packing, and within a couple of weeks all 6 swivels began leaking badly. Hannay sent 6 replacement swivels, which I installed on the reels. They also lasted about 2 weeks and began leaking. Does anyone know if Hurst has recently changed their synthetic phospate ester fluid that is used in 5,000 psi systems? Has Hurst began using an additive that attacks EPR packing? Hannay is sending me another set of 6 super swivels with EPR-D packing to try to solve the problem. The are due to arrive Thursday. I heard that some Departments in NY state have had the same problem. Does anyone know if this is true? Has anyone had this problem?

Ever thought about switching to diethelyne glycol fluid in your tools?
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

We installed the 2nd set of replacement swivels today. They were marked EDM not EPR-D as I stated in my first post. I hope that they work.

Metalmedic, I have not heard of the glycol fluid before. Please post more information about it, such as characteristics, cost, & who sells it.

Forum Member

Hurst still continues to use Phosphate Ester fluid in their low pressure line of tools. They also still use EPR "O" rings. Is it a possibility that Hannay did not convert the reels to accept the Phosphate Ester fluid? If a true rubber "O" ring is used and the phosphate ester fluid contacts the rubber, it will begin to break it down and cause leaks. Also, Hurst does not recommend the use of any other fluid besides phosphate ester in their system. Other "pressure mediums" can cause the "O" rings to swell and fail, thus causing tool failure, espicially water glycol. I know for a fact that if water glycol is placed in a low pressure Hurst system, it will cause swelling of the "O" rings. I recommend that you contact Hurst and ask their opinion on this fluid. Stop and think about the liability of what could happen if someone gets injured as a result of a tool failure caused by the wrong fluid being in a hydraulic rescue tools system.
    Last edited by alcatrazlt; 10-16-2005 at 08:57 PM.

I was told that the phospate ester fluid has a new additive in it which attacks the EPR packing and that the additive was discovered by laboratory analysis. I just want to find out if this is true problem. The second set of (6) replacement swivels are marked EDM. I don't know what EDM means, but I was told that the packing is different than that in the orignal & first replacement set of swivels.

Thread Information