Forum Member

Default Motorola HT1250 Question, Locking Feature?

I'm a member of my town's local ambulance squad. I was just given a radio (Motorola HT1250) that i've used for the past year at the squad, but now that I was put up for full membership, I was handed a radio to keep with me at home. My question is this: Being I used to just keep a scanner with me, I never worried bout transmitting accidently, now that I have a radio, I worry about transmitting accidently. Our EMS squad operates on the same channel as our police, so I don't want to key up accidently. Is there a LOCK feature that anybody knows of on the Motorola HT1250 that will allow me to lock it and keep it on my side when I am driving around in my vehicle? I've keyd up the mic while in the back of the rig before while working on patients (since then I switch my radio off in the back of the rig, seeing as my driver will communicate things to central)
    Adam, EMT-B

Forum Member

Adam, there is no "lockout" feature for the HT1250 like you'd find on a cell phone. the radio can be programmed to not be able to transmit on a particular channel/freq (such as if you have the NOAA freq programed in), but it's "perminant". Meaning that it's done at the time of programming...you can turn the lock off and on. BTW, I've had a HT1250 since '99 and have rarely accidently keyed the mic..even in firefighting situations, on lawnmowers, driving, etc.
    The comments made by me are my opinions only, not of the Fire and EMS services I am affiliated with.

I have lost my mind..has anyone seen it? it's not worth much..but it's mine

Forum Member

Ive never keyd it in the rig in my normal gear. The last time i keyed up accidently I was at the house and we had a call and i left with the rig in my regular pants and kept the radio on my side pocket (baggy pants) so it was hanging out. I was driving and was worried because i keep my radio on my right side and thats the side the seatbelt clip is on, i dont wanna key it up accidehntly. I could just clip it on when i leve my vehicle but its an unnessary step I think... i'll see about programming one of my sparfe channels for LISTEN mode only. Do i hafta use a computer to do that or can i do it from the radio itself. Im a real tech guy but havnt experimented yet.
    Adam, EMT-B

Forum Member

It's gotta be done on a computer, using the Motorola software. Have your squad send it out (or however they get them programmed) to have an empty channel programmed in with just a RX freq, not a TX freq. They can also set it up so it will "go off" with your tones just like a pager.
    The comments made by me are my opinions only, not of the Fire and EMS services I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Our Rx and Tx are on the same frequency i believe, our towns not that high tech, we have 2 channels for police, 1's main oneand the others non-repeater
    Adam, EMT-B

Forum Member

My services are set up the same way..1 freq for tx and rx..but the radios can be programmed to rx on 1 freq and tx on another for a given channel example...channel 1 tx 155.340 rx 155.340 channel 2 tx 154.310 rx 155.385. You can have the radio set up so you have the rx freq programmed in..but the tx freq is left blank.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam07003
    Our Rx and Tx are on the same frequency i believe, our towns not that high tech, we have 2 channels for police, 1's main oneand the others non-repeater
    If you have one that is "non repeater", you are using two frequencies on the "main" channel. One so you can transmit to the repeater, and then one so you recieve the repeated signals when others broadcast. It can be one "channel" on the radio, but it can be setup with two frequencies, two PLs/DPLs/TPLs etc.

The non-repeater frequency is the one that will only use one frequency at a time. You transmit and receive on the same one.

Lieut has hit the nail on the head though. Just request that a spare channel be setup with your dispatch RX frequency, with transmit inhibited. You'll be all set after that. There's much more they can do too.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

I'll hafta ask if i can do it myself, i love technology i do it for a living, almost had a job programming radios for a township and working with their computers and fixing them foir public safety division but never got it t woulda been perfect job fo rme, a computer geek into EMS, but ohh well
    Adam, EMT-B

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam07003
    I'll hafta ask if i can do it myself, i love technology i do it for a living, almost had a job programming radios for a township and working with their computers and fixing them foir public safety division but never got it t woulda been perfect job fo rme, a computer geek into EMS, but ohh well
    It's highly doubtful /\/\ will license you for their RSS/CPS software so that you can program radios for your department. If you've got /\/\oto, then you probably have atleast one service/programming center close by... and Big bad Mother-/\/\ will tell you to use them, and deny you the right to the programming software.

Bad bad things are happening to people that cross /\/\oto. So I wouldn't suggest trying to find the software you need to program them, because most likely, you will get caught now. Any of the /\/\oto groups online are being watched like craaaaazy by /\/\oto, and people are being chased after. /\/\ is like the squeeky wheel in the legal system right now. It's really out of hand.

Where abouts are you located? If you're in New England, lemme know. I'll program your radio the legal way... with licensed software at a service shop.
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

What others have said is correct. You need to have a channel added that is RX only.

If you don't have the software and the hardware to do-it-yourself, you won't be able to. And even if you found the software pirated online (who would do such a thing), you still don't have the interface hardware and the cables. You're talking about several hundred dollars investment there. The software is another several hundred if you choose to actually pay for it.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Res343cue
    It's highly doubtful /\/\ will license you for their RSS/CPS software so that you can program radios for your department. If you've got /\/\oto, then you probably have atleast one service/programming center close by... and Big bad Mother-/\/\ will tell you to use them, and deny you the right to the programming software.
    Dunno about that part but I'll take your word for it b/c you know more about it than I do. However it seems to me /\/\ is in the business to make $$ and if you are willing to pay the ungodly amount they want for the RSS/CPS then they should be more than happy to sell it to you even if you lived next door to a service center (after all the service center already bought the software and /\/\ isn't going to make more $$ off of them - till an upgrade comes out).

Quote Originally Posted by Res343cue
    Bad bad things are happening to people that cross /\/\oto. So I wouldn't suggest trying to find the software you need to program them, because most likely, you will get caught now. Any of the /\/\oto groups online are being watched like craaaaazy by /\/\oto, and people are being chased after. /\/\ is like the squeeky wheel in the legal system right now. It's really out of hand.
    AMEN !!
    Preach on it brother man !!
    Just remember they are called "Mother /\/\" for a reason !!

Anyhow - a great source of /\/\ info. can be found at:
    http://www.batlabs.com

All that being said - Adam I feel your pain. I'm a teckie kind of guy myself (computer nerd by trade not at heart) and I still had to have my latest Maxtrac Mobile programed by a dealer (I did build my own remote head kit though - I'm so proud ).

Programming your own radio is just like breaking the speed limit - you have the capability (if you look hard enough) but it's still wrong and I'm not going to tell you to do it (or how to do it) - sorry. Besides all of the local folks I have ever dealt with have been really great folks and they always go the little extra for Fire, Police, and EMS so go ahead and throw a little business their way.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Forum Member

I mean i'll goto my squad and look into it. We program our radios either at the squad or we go upstairs where our police department is and have them do it. We use same radios/frequencies as our police. Our town's EMS is very close with police, so either they programmed them for us or we programmed them as per their specs. Either way i'll find a way to do it.
    Adam, EMT-B

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by N2DFire
    Dunno about that part but I'll take your word for it b/c you know more about it than I do. However it seems to me /\/\ is in the business to make $$ and if you are willing to pay the ungodly amount they want for the RSS/CPS then they should be more than happy to sell it to you even if you lived next door to a service center (after all the service center already bought the software and /\/\ isn't going to make more $$ off of them - till an upgrade comes out).
    Mother-/\/\ is very finicky about who they sell it to. They make enough money by charging outrageous prices for EVERYTHING, that they can afford to say "NO GOD DAMNIT!" and still be in business.

/\/\ is somewhat loyal to it's service centers. There are two of us within a mile of each other. I'm an intern at one shop, and we don't do repairs. We mainly do sales / programming / troubleshooting. The other shop does most of our repairs, all of the installations for vehicles, etc. We work hand in hand with each other, and /\/\ won't let it be any other way.

AMEN !!
    Preach on it brother man !!.
    Don't even get me started. Nick Deluca owes me a few hundred dollars for my Spectra... I'm sure you know who "Nick" is by now if you're familiar with /\/\ at all...

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Forum Member

I don't know how you're options are programed, but our little orange button on top is direct talk (TAC). I go through ALL my channels and keep them on direct talk, so that if I key it up, it will not lock up the repeater, only somebody cose by may pick it up. It's just a push of a button away from being able to transmit, and you don't have to scroll through the menu to unlock, or anything elaborate.
    Service is the rent you pay for having space on earth.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HFRH28
    I don't know how you're options are programed, but our little orange button on top is direct talk (TAC). I go through ALL my channels and keep them on direct talk, so that if I key it up, it will not lock up the repeater, only somebody cose by may pick it up. It's just a push of a button away from being able to transmit, and you don't have to scroll through the menu to unlock, or anything elaborate.
    Uh, you're making no sense. Either you're transmitting on the repeaters frequencies, or your not. You can't transmit on one frequency that's part of the repeater's pair and expect it to not be "locked up".

You probably mean you're talking on simplex, which means that it's a completely different personality / channel in the radio, or it's using the output frequency of the repeater so that it doesn't get rebroadcast everywhere.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Direct Talk = TAC = Simplex. Transmits on the recieve frequency.
    Service is the rent you pay for having space on earth.

Forum Member

On the Jedi series radios, you can program a talkaround frequency for each personality. You can than make one of the buttons be the talkaround button. When you push the talkaround button, it goes to the talkaround frequency you programmed for that personality. What he's saying is actually possible.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire
    On the Jedi series radios, you can program a talkaround frequency for each personality. You can than make one of the buttons be the talkaround button. When you push the talkaround button, it goes to the talkaround frequency you programmed for that personality. What he's saying is actually possible.
    Haven't played around with the Jedi series too much at the shops... forgive me!

I hadn't seen that option for the buttons on any of the radios I've programmed, but it's nice to know it's there...

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Thread Information