Forum Member

Default throrogood, ranger or warrington leathers

ok, for the past 3 years ive worn nothing but rubber boots. to say the least they were terrible not to mention im flat footed. recently my department issued me new gear, including new hellfire rubber boots from throrogood, they are nice but still... a few weeks ago i was on a mutual aid call for district 3 station in dartmouth. they guys over there are all issued ranger leather boots. we were eventually called to do station coverage and i got a change to wear leather boots and i fell in love.
    after a little research i came down to three brands: Ranger (total fire group), Thorogood, and Warrington Pro.
    im between the 14" pull on rangers, the 14" pull on throrogoods with the shin guard and oblique toe, and the warrington 4132 due to the shin guard. i want a boot with a shin guard because ive destroyed my shins on occation.
    my question is how the boots compare to each other. build quality, pull strap durability, sole wear, shin guard material, inner lining quality and moisture whicking, as well as waterproof issues.
    any detailed input welcome, thank you

Cpt. Common Sents

Warrington Pros all the way. best protection I have seen and those little toe ridges are so cool!!!!

Forum Member

Haix. The cream of the crop.

Forum Member

I have the 4132 and think they are great. Comfortable, light weight and high quality. Other guys in the department purchased Thorogood and say the same. You won't ever put on another pair of rubber boots once you get your leathers.
    When opening up the roof remember plywood comes in 4' X 8' sheets.

www.94firedept.com

IACOJ proud member

MembersZone Subscriber

A couple of years ago my department switched to leathers. We are issued Thorogoods'. Man are they a dream. I had crappy old rubber boots that were lke 10 years old. My chief called and told me to come try on a pair and when I did, man was I in love. Been wearing them ever since.

I have a question, how do you guys feel about the zip-up fire boots that look like station duty boots? A few guys have them on the department and I was wondering how they compare to the pull-on leathers. It seems to me that it would take more time to kick those off, pull the pants on, then put them right back on. Whereas with the pull-ons you can keep them in your pants and be ready to go much faster.
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    IACOJ

HNFC FF/President

Thorogoods, no doubt about it. I had rubber boots for my first 3 years. My chief had some money left in the budget at the end of the year and decided to get me a pair of leathers. Man, what a great boot. It's just like one of those "metaphors"

The Thorogood boot holds up real well to repetative use and wear/tear. After puttin on a pair of Thorogood leathers, i will never go back to rubber.
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

MembersZone Subscriber

Honestly - buy the one you can get at the best price. I wore out a pair of Rangers, they were replaced under recall and I still have them. We issued Warrington 5000s recently, and they're great as well. We also had a sample pair of Thorogoods floating around, they were great as well.

We really bought the 5000s because of 1.) Fantastic dealer, and 2.) We hoped the toe-caps would increase boot longevity. Any of the above mentioned boots are such an improvement over rubber, that getting any of them will be an epiphany. Reduced fatigue, increased comfort, better mobility - they're all there.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Still looking for Waldo. Have you seen him?

Leather Forever! It's not just for helmets! My last Warringtons were in the 4000 series, I forget which model number. I had them for about 6 years. The boot straps broke after about 5.5 years, but the boot held up great.

Now I have the Warrington 5000 with the "Power Toe". These boots are not all leather. I think the other material is kevlar - but they are quite a bit lighter and the have a Vibram sole. I love them so far. I've had them for about 9 months. They're well worth the money.

The boots usually fit tight at first, but will loosen up real nice to be a good fit over time.

I have a question, how do you guys feel about the zip-up fire boots that look like station duty boots? A few guys have them on the department and I was wondering how they compare to the pull-on leathers. It seems to me that it would take more time to kick those off, pull the pants on, then put them right back on. Whereas with the pull-ons you can keep them in your pants and be ready to go much faster.
    A few of the guys on my job wear them. We have side zippers in the bottom of our bunker pants, so the pants go on right over the boot, them you just need to zip your pants down. It's not for me, but some guys like them.

Forum Member

Talking Leathers

Leather Boots rock!! I switched about 6 months ago, I have pro waringtons 4132 and love them. No matter what kind you get if you take care of them they'll last for a long time. You can't go wrong with leather boots!

Forum Member

I have had a pair of 4132 pro warringtons and there are great! I have had them for about 8 months and no problems. We picked them due to good service and good dealer. I would buy another pair in a heart beat.

Forum Member

how about toe wear and strap durability?

Forum Member

Warrington Pro!!!

I wear 3009's and 5000's in my separate sets of gear.

The 5000's are great.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Forum Member

Rubber 3/4's all the way!

MembersZone Subscriber

Without a doubt Pro Warrington 5000s. They are the lighest, most flexible boot that I have had on, and I have tried on several other leather boots. You can find them for about $240 a pair.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Still looking for Waldo. Have you seen him?

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF
    Rubber 3/4's all the way!
    Nice to have that option - I wish we did.

Forum Member

Rubber-Ranger
    Leather-Warrington!!!!!
    Stationboot- 25/25/25/25 split thorogood / redwing / FFIII / warrington
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey ChicagoFF, who makes the rubbers you guys wear? I was just curious who out there still made them. Also, what brand of coats do you guys wear. Just curious as to who still makes what these days.
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LRFPD60
    Hey ChicagoFF, who makes the rubbers you guys wear? I was just curious who out there still made them. Also, what brand of coats do you guys wear. Just curious as to who still makes what these days.
    I think the boots are servus (?) and there are several different coats but I think the ones being issued now are morning pride.

Forum Member

I have a pair of Warrington Pro 5000's. for 4 years now They fit like athletic shoes. I'm thinking about getting another pair and using my present pair for when I work at the Massachusetts Fire Academy.

The kids at UMass Dartmouth keep you guys busy? My son is a senior there.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

i've been on for 7 years, have only used warrington pro's.
    they're extremely comfortable. the only issue i've seen is they take a few days to dry when they get soaked or need to be washed. other then that, they're great.

Forum Member

Are all the leather boots water proof too? After this weekend and dealing with all the flood waters due to rain this issue came to my attention.
    And yes umass darmtouth keeps dartmouth FD VERY busy, mostly burnt food setting off the alarm at 3 am

Forum Member

also how does the warringtons stack up to the thorogoods in toe cap wear and tare

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DartmouthFD2
    Are all the leather boots water proof too? After this weekend and dealing with all the flood waters due to rain this issue came to my attention.
    I can't speak for "all leather boots", but my warrington 5000's have never taken water--except for over the top once but we can't blame the boot for that.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DartmouthFD2
    also how does the warringtons stack up to the thorogoods in toe cap wear and tare
    The warringtons hold up well. A friend of mine just got rid of his 3ys old thorogoods and bought warrington 3009's. His boots were in comparable shape to my 6yr old warringtons. He said that he is glad he made the switch because the warringtons are so much more comfortable.

FYI the toe cap on the warrington 5000's are much stronger
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Leather is the best move you will ever make. I broke my foot wearing rubbers in 97' and have worn leather since. I enjoy Pro Warringtons myself. They are the most comfortable for my feet. I recently purchased my second pair, Warrington 5000. They are awesome!

Thread Information