Forum Member

Default Too early for next year?

I've been relatively quiet on here lately. We've been VERY busy getting things together after being awarded for a new brush unit this year. My question is this...Is it too early to start looking to next year's application?
    This was our first year applying and we were one of the lucky few (relative to total applications!!) to be awarded a vehicle award. We have a list that we made up last year of things that our department really needs or needs to upgrade.
    Top of the list is new turn-out gear and a gear washer. Some of the department has decent t/o gear from the department buying small quantities on our own as we had the funds available. I have heard that not showing need for the WHOLE department is generally not a great start on scoring. We also feel that a gear washer could help lengthen the life of the gear so we'd like to include it. Are we far off base on this?
    Also, has anyone heard of NFPA eventually recommending that each firefighter have his own SCBA mask? Someone on the department said they read that it's coming down the pike and mentioned that it may be wise to get ahead of that now if possible.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Is it too early to start looking to next year's application?
    I'll give you a multiple choice for this one:
    1) No.
    2) Heck no
    3) Never too early
    4) What do you mean you're not done already?

Top of the list is new turn-out gear and a gear washer. Some of the department has decent t/o gear from the department buying small quantities on our own as we had the funds available. I have heard that not showing need for the WHOLE department is generally not a great start on scoring. We also feel that a gear washer could help lengthen the life of the gear so we'd like to include it. Are we far off base on this?
    Most departments can afford 1-2 sets per year, so not everyone has a whole department with bad gear. There are exceptions, and luckily many of these are being awarded. The main thing is to order enough to outfit 100% of the department. So if that means you have 4 in compliant gear, only ask for 20 sets for the other guys so all 24 are in good stuff. Of course substitute the proper numbers for your department. We went over gear washer for a bit in another thread, but basically if you can't keep it clean, it won't last, so ask for one. Small cost compared to the extra life realized on the PPE.

Also, has anyone heard of NFPA eventually recommending that each firefighter have his own SCBA mask? Someone on the department said they read that it's coming down the pike and mentioned that it may be wise to get ahead of that now if possible.
    OSHA basically does now due to fit-testing requirements. So few people have the same sized and shaped face it's hard to get seals on some people with generic masks. We buy them for those that have the smaller or bigger faces and can't get a seal, but not to the point of personal masks. I wouldn't throw this project in with the other though, two different animals that wouldn't play nicely with each other in scoring.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have gotted individual masks for every member for almost every department I have ever written for. I included it in the grant narrative and it has been funded on almost 95% of the grants I have worked on...At least in the last 3 yrs.

In my opinion, if you're already talking safety issues, and you can bring up personal safety issues of pathogens and changing masks, etc. It's not that much more expensive. Sometimes, you can get the vendors to cut ya a deal when you're buying in bulk for all your department, too.

Forum Member

We got our grant and will have new T/O's for everyone and masks.
    When opening up the roof remember plywood comes in 4' X 8' sheets.

www.94firedept.com

IACOJ proud member

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

No , I too was awarded a brush truck and I have already placed requests for quotes for next year. My goal is too have everything done NLT Dec 15th so my grant writer can have the info. before the grants are open.
    Last edited by Crash5; 10-19-2005 at 09:55 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I too wrote in individual SCBA masks ,for each member outside of the mask that comes with a basic SCBA set, and all were funded.

As to starting too soon.... ditto on BC79ER! If you are going to get in on our assistance this year, you better get in line quickly. I already have more than 10 canned and ready for a final tuneup with 06 AFG PG, when it is released. While on that subject, I am cognizant that 06 AFG PG is being worked on during the next two weeks so it is anticipated that they will have that document out there on time this year.

Get started now folks. Evalute those rejected grants, get professional opinions, paying especially close attention to what your answers to the questions were in the front of the grant. That is where all of you, that have DJs now, failed. Get your stats compiled, do your research, attend a grant wriitng seminar and start getting quotes. It is much easier to spend a couple of hours making a few minor editiing changes when the grant period opens, than it is to cram for 30 days and still work on your calls for service!
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Thread Information