Forum Member

That was my favorite show when I was a wee tot. I wanted to be like Roy and Johnny. I can't help but giggle when I see it now, but I still love it. My big question is this:

If there were to be a question sheet assigned to each episode, with questions appropriate to today's treatment modalities, could we count it as CE for the National Registry?

For example: "In episode 21 the construction foreman experienced chest pain and then collapsed, what was the rythm on the monitor and what would be the proper ACLS treatment?" (No, it's not bi-carb.)

Forum Member

Damn i miss Emergency, Wish they bring it back
    Firefighter for Vestal 32-2

American Red Cross Volunteer

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Season 2 is coming? OHBOYOHBOYOHBOYOHBOYOHBOY

I just figured out how to rip my DVDs into MPEG4 files, so I am making each episode about 177MB so I can put them on CompactFlash cards and watch them on my PDA on the plane while traveling the next two months. Ah, the benefits of being a nerd.

And jeez, I forgot about that flop that Fox put out about LA Fire. Was it City? I know it turned out to be something that rhymed with "ity", hence the short lived airing.

Now if they break out Code Red with Lorne Greene, that would be another set I'd pick up.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson
    You were born after VCRs were invented weren't you?
    Emergency ran from the late 60s to the early 70s(help me out on the dates.I was very young in my childhood) and showed people what firefighters did when they weren't running into burning buildings.It let people know that the fire service also did emergency medical care and helped people survive from the wreck to the hospital.
    my favorite one was when they had to rescue the person stuck to the bottom of the pool by the drain suction.....remember that one???

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie
    Yikes guys. What did I do to deserve that?

Actually I don't care for most of the twits out there in Hollyweird. Blows me away that guys drool over them and when you take away the makeup they are butt ugly. Ever seen Britney without makeup?

Then there's the plastic surgery. I guess some people want to be recycled into a Corvette when they die.

Just don't like women to look like a common street walker.
    sounds like you've been talking to my wife!!!!
    hmmmmmm

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by PFire23
    Do you know where you can buy it??
    yea....wal mart or best buy....where ever they sell videos

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ff4christjd
    person stuck to the bottom of the pool
    I do remember that one, they used a K-Saw to cut the vic out. Wicked Cool Man!

I can also remember them using a Porta-Power for rescue work in some episodes.

IACOJ Fire Boat 1

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mcaldwell
    Mostly on-line so far. I have not seen it out at Wal-mart or the like yet, but I suspect it will be in wider distribution for Christmas.

Here's a couple:

NBC-online - Emergency: Season 1

Amazon.com - Emergency: Season 1

And this site advertises the entire series package, but I suspect it must be a pirate version.

Crazy Sandman - Emergency: Entire Series DVD
    Judging from the number of episodes for all of the seasons I think it is a pirated version. Santa brought me season one, and there are two double sided disks, with three episodes per side. Total Emergency viewing time 10hrs 55 minutes. Already watched it once and loved it. Cant wait for season 2!
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Quote Originally Posted by mcaldwell
    You can get the Emergency DVD set now eh?

I'm askin Santa for it for Christmas.

So did Santa come through or what?
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RspctFrmCalgary
    So did Santa come through or what?
    He did for me!
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson
    My county's 5 volunteer departments are numbered going clockwise from the SW corner, 1 through 5. Yes,West McCracken Fire and Rescue DOES have a rescue unit numbered 51.It is unknown to me if they have gotten tired of the"Where's Johnny and Roy?"questions.

Squad 51 just got a new rig I don't have a linkable picture of it, But its a newer Ford and Engine 51 is KME
    Station 127 of the LACoFD is still around today

Forum Member

For those who have yet to purchase the dvds, the best prices I could find (for both seasons) were at Target. Just FYI.

Forum Member

Anyone who has season 2, Can anyone explain why the opening into is diffirent?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Lots of shows changed intros. In syndication with Emergency, even the Season 1 episodes were shown with the later Intro, not the theme music one.

CHiPs, TJ Hooker, Knight Rider, and even Airwolf had different themes in Season 1 than the rest.

One of these days I'll go on Jeopardy with all of this useless information and make some dough.

Speaking of that, anyone else notice in many episodes in S1 when they were supposed to be driving to the scene that it was the old big Dodge, not the new one? Like the Rescue that Johnny was in for the pilot? Riddle me this Batman...

Forum Member

No one has ever explained this but what was with the smoke coming from the ambulance bay at Rampart?

Forum Member

I'll take a stab.....

The "smoke" from the ER appears to be steam which can be common place for a hospital especially in the cooler months.

Research found that EMERGENCY was filmed during the early spring and fall to eliminate the hot southern california weather. Ever wonder why alot of the episodes they had the navy jackets on ?

But the steam could be anything from incinerators to the heating systems used during the time....."Rampart Hospital" was and I believe a real hospital fictiously named for the show.....I think it was Los Angles County University Medical Center or something of that nature.

Forum Member

Anyone notice that Johnny rarely ever drives the squad. This is because they filmed the trucks leaving the station (in different directions and such) before they filmed the actual episodes. Only Roy drove during that day of filming, so it stuck. I noticed only one call in one episode of season 1 where Johnny drove. For that call, they cut out the clear shot of who is driving when the squad is shown turning out of the station.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BD6413
    I'll take a stab.....

The "smoke" from the ER appears to be steam which can be common place for a hospital especially in the cooler months.

Research found that EMERGENCY was filmed during the early spring and fall to eliminate the hot southern california weather. Ever wonder why alot of the episodes they had the navy jackets on ?

But the steam could be anything from incinerators to the heating systems used during the time....."Rampart Hospital" was and I believe a real hospital fictiously named for the show.....I think it was Los Angles County University Medical Center or something of that nature.
    It was actually UCLA Harbor General, Most of the station's used were actual station's in the pilot Station 10 in real life is Station 8 and acourse Station 127 is used as Station 51

Forum Member

digging this one back up incase someone wasn't aware but i'm sure most are because I was looking through a Best Buy sales paper and noticed that they have one of the seasons

It's season 2 sorry

Forum Member

It was nice to read this thread. I grew up with Johnny and Roy as well... and like most "old fart paramedics"..the show influenced me alot on my decision to become a paramedic (even though "girls" couldn't be paramedics back then)... Believe it or not my dad still didn't want me to go to paramedic school in the early 80's because its not for "girls"... He changed his mind and is very supportive of my career now. Boy have things changed in the last 23 years since I first took my Paramedic. Also the show was still fairly realistic to the way we functioned in 1982 when I started paramedic school.

Forum Member

Talking

p.s someone asked about what happened to several of the cast members. I went to Washington D.C. a few years back when they were putting items from Emergency in the Smithsonian and got to meet some of the cast. The guy who played Chet Kelley was there... he was an actor and not actually a firefighter... The guy who drove the truck, Mike Stoker, retired from the LA County Fire Department... he had the job because the E-51 actually belonged to fire department and thereby an employee had to drive the truck... Capt Stanley is an actor (by the way he was not the original Capt. (The original captain-- who had blondish hair was a firefighter).. Also got to meet the actor who played the young black doctor as well... had a great time at the get meet and greet with the crew.

Forum Member

Cool Emergency

Emergency was way before my time...It's great to see the huge steps we have made since the airing of this show.

Forum Member

i heard of emergency through this board. Along with emergency i would love to see The Bravest back on.

Forum Member

The DVDs are on my wish list. It's a firefighter show my 4 year old can watch.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnny46
    The DVDs are on my wish list. It's a firefighter show my 4 year old can watch.

same here. Season 1 and 2 are on my Amazon wish list.

From Wikipedia: Universal Studios (the series' original distributor) has so far issued domestic DVD editions of the series' first two seasons. The North American DVD release date for season 1 was August 23, 2005. The North American DVD release date for season 2 was February 7, 2006. Season 3 (North America) is scheduled for release on February 13, 2007.
    Last edited by Itsmy6; 12-09-2006 at 10:52 PM.

Thread Information