Thread: WHELEN LED's

MembersZone Subscriber

Default WHELEN LED's

I am currently looking at the Whelen Talon and the Whelen Slimlighter SuperLED. Are either of these brighter than the other? Also, is the Slimlighter SuperLED much more brighter than the regular Slimlighter? I notice the regular Slimlighter is about $50 less.

Forum Member

Id duck and cover if i was you. and i dont know anything about the lights

MembersZone Subscriber

"Staging to Logistics -- our supply of horses is running low, if this keeps up we'll need to contact Finance and order more"
    the motto of every midnight shift dispatcher - "I'm up - You're up"

Forum Member

be prepared for everyone to rip into you because i'm sure there is something on this forum if you use search...somewhere... but since you asked i have no problem saying i have a talon and my asst chief has the slim lighter... i like his alot because it is so small but in my opinion the talon is one of the brightest you're gonna find. i have the dual red/white and man... it lights up the road at night almost to the point where my headlights wouldn't be needed if the white one would fire by itself...

and in daytime its still visible from VERY far away
    J.E. Guzman
    NC EMT-Intermediate
    NC Emergency Medical Dispatcher
    NENA Emergency Medical Dispatcher
    NENA Emergency Telecommunicator

Forum Member

Check your state/local vehicle and traffic laws. In many instances, these "LED" type lights are not permitted for personal vehicle use

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firefightergtp
    Check your state/local vehicle and traffic laws. In many instances, these "LED" type lights are not permitted for personal vehicle use
    I have a feeling that if he is asking about different styles of lights then he knows the laws regarding using them. Not 100% sure but that's my guess.

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation

There's one in the thread "dead Horses" it's got some "beating" miles left on it, go ahead take a swing!
    Last edited by WMFF12; 10-15-2005 at 11:50 AM.
    Giggity - Giggity!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ptfd19
    "Staging to Logistics -- our supply of horses is running low, if this keeps up we'll need to contact Finance and order more"
    .............Command OK !!!!!!
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Well, let me try to help you with the subject............I use a dual talon and that thing is BRIGHT! I've seen the Slimlighter, but still think the talons better. it is designed for a more wide dispersal of light the TIR6s on the Slimlighter are more for directive lighting, and yes the old ones have nothing on the new ones, the super led is a lot brighter......

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by needlejockey
    I have a feeling that if he is asking about different styles of lights then he knows the laws regarding using them. Not 100% sure but that's my guess.

In my experience, 75% of the vollies who use courtesy lights, don't know the laws regarding such. Are you aware that in most states, a single, halogen, rotating light is the only light authorized for personal vehicle use!?

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes I am aware of the laws in my state, that is why I am asking about the above lights!! We can have two red lights in the car with no white flashing out the back window.

Forum Member

I'm not sure the brightness of the two, but I can tell you this:

The way the talon is designed allows for greater off-axis visibility. For example, there will be a "cone" of light visibility from the light. The talon will be visible from a wider angle away from the slight, whereas the slimlighter may be only be sufficiently visible from a few degrees off of straight on in either direction.

Check out www.elightbars.org

Great forums with lots of info about lights

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firefightergtp
    In my experience, 75% of the vollies who use courtesy lights, don't know the laws regarding such. Are you aware that in most states, a single, halogen, rotating light is the only light authorized for personal vehicle use!?
    In my state we have to get an emergency vehicle permit. That then grants us full emergency vehicle "authority" but also requires that we meet the lighting and siren requirements. I.E. 360 degree visibility, siren, etc.

Forum Member

I believe the questions asked by ddmay87 was about which light is better - I see no questions regarding state and/or local laws so how in the world did that get started and why ?

It's comments such as ....."In my experience, 75% of the vollies who use courtesy lights, don't know the laws regarding such..." that do nothing more than create arguments, create more dead horses to beat, and makes everybody a "Courtesy Light" expert.

Well I'm no expert but I can say the Talon is by far the brightest piece of Warning Equipment I've used. It is seen very well even in bright sun-light. It's biggest down-fall though is it is hard to see at intersections at least in the daytime simply because it's a directional type light usually found on most windshields. ddmay87 I hope this helps answer your question.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have a Talon 2 in my front window and a slimlighter in my back on both mine and my wife's car. Both lights are good. The Talon is the brightest on the market. Look in Ebay, usually from time to time you see both on sale from someone in there.

Lt Chuck P.

Forum Member

Default lights

Go to the www.evtaforum.com site since there is a Whelen person who is the moderator.

Forum Member

Check out www.leedlights.com. I just got the dual windshield model. 125 bucks for the 12 LED model and 160 for the 16. I got the 12. Plenty bright.

Thread Information