Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bumper pre-connect query

Our new rescue is finally on line and the factory called with two questions about the front bumper pre-connect. This will be our first truck with a line in the bumper so we have no experience to draw from. Iím hoping those of you who use them can offer us some guidance.
    First, our specs call for a aluminum cover supported by a spring or shock to keep it open. The factory is concerned that the hose might snag on that prop. So, what type of cover (if any) do you have over your hose? What problems have you encountered? What would you do different?
    We plan on carrying 150 feet of 1.75 hose, How big of pain is it to deploy?

Secondly, the hose connection should it be in the well or up on the bumper? I personally can see more advantages on the bumper than in the hose well.

Any pictures or links would be greatly appreciated Ö.. Thanks

Isnít it funny, you wait nearly a year for a manufacturer to build your truck but when they have a question they need a answer immediately

Go with gas struts at the very back near the hinge, they won't get in the way, sorry i don't have any pictures of this at the moment. As for where to put the outlet - put it on the bumper
    Service is the rent you pay for having space on earth.

We don't have a cover on any of ours and have not found a need for one. We only keep 100' of 1 3/4" line. We put the connection on the bumper, not in the well, but we also plumbed it as 2 1/2". We have a gated wye that has the 1 3/4" line plus a 1" "trash line". We have replaced the 1" with 1 3/4" at times.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

We had a cover on our front bumper hose bed but it kept getting in the way when trying to deploy the hose so we removed it and it works a lot better.

The connection is down in the well and we keep 50 (1 3/4")ft connected with another 100 ft in the well for extending it.

We donut roll ours to make for quicker extension.

Forum Member

Our Engine (E-One) has a front bumper pre connect. We carry 100' of 1 1/2"
    hose.This is used as a trash line. There is no booster reel on our engine. We have no problems deploying this line. The connection is in the bumper, and the cover is hinged on one side and has two quarter turn knobs on the other.
    The cover stays up and leans aginst the engine wheen the line is deployed.
    Do not have access to photos right now.

Forum Member

We keep 100', no cover, outlet on bumper. We have a bungee strap through the nozzle over the hose, in case it decides it wants to fly. Easy to deploy and load.

edited for spelling
    The opinions I post to these forums do not represent any entity to which I am affiliated.

MembersZone Subscriber

My current Engine has a seat belt holding the hose down. Works flawlessly.

I formerly worked with e-ones that had a cover with those springs. The springs do break and the cover is completely unnecessary. Don't waste the money.

FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber Halligan84's Avatar

Our front bumper line was essentially useless until we went with a pack one of our members brought back from Kentland. We carry 100' in 2 horseshoe loads and the last 50 in a double donut. No cover will work on that or is needed. The hose deploys in seconds and the nozzleman takes his 50' rolled with the nozzle to the door. One of our guys put together a powerpoint on how to deploy/pack it. You can check it out here.

http://www.blackwoodfire.org/downloads.htm

When we started speccing bumper lines, we required a diamond plate cover. We have found it to be useless and no longer spec it. We carry 100' 1 1/2" rubber jacket hose as a trash line. The swivel is in the bottom of the compartment. The first 50 feet is loaded in flat, the second 50 feet and the nozzle are loaded flat and wrapped with a seatbelt.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfdblehman
    We keep 100', no cover, outlet on bumper. We have a bungee strap through the nozzle over the hose, in case it decides it wants to fly. Easy to deploy and load.

edited for spelling
    Ditto here...the only problem we have with ours (we only have 1 truck with bumper line) is the commercial chassis. When you open the hood, you have to make sure the connection is swiveled outward, so it doesn't dig into the hood.
    The comments made by me are my opinions only, not of the Fire and EMS services I am affiliated with.

I have lost my mind..has anyone seen it? it's not worth much..but it's mine

Forum Member

150' of 1.5" in the bumper with a hinged cover. The cover is a pain in the tailbone, and in our case, hasn't closed quite right since someone charged the line in the well and bent the cover slightly. The connection, which is an 1.5", is in the well.

Bones42: "We put the connection on the bumper, not in the well, but we also plumbed it as 2 1/2".
    ______________________________ ______________________________ ____

Exactely! Most of the charge in running the plumbing to the bumper is in labor. Go ahead and pay the difference in materials and upgrade the plumbing to 2 1/2". This should be a nominal fee and gives you several more options for running lines from that location.

As far as the cover goes, I would save the money as well. Apply it to the cost of 2 1/2" plumbing.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a
    Bones42: "We put the connection on the bumper, not in the well, but we also plumbed it as 2 1/2".
    ______________________________ ______________________________ ____

Exactely! Most of the charge in running the plumbing to the bumper is in labor. Go ahead and pay the difference in materials and upgrade the plumbing to 2 1/2". This should be a nominal fee and gives you several more options for running lines from that location.

As far as the cover goes, I would save the money as well. Apply it to the cost of 2 1/2" plumbing.
    Yes do 2-1/2 plumbing, also a simple vinyl cover with some velcro works well too, one of out engines has it, and it works a ton better than diamondplate which our rescue, and two other engines have.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Thank for the valuable input everyone. Right now Iím setting back digesting the comments.
    I need to let them know about the bumper line by early next week.

Halligan, Nice Power Point presentation GREAT JOB

Forum Member

The department I was with as an explorer just had an open box in the front bumper. No cover. But a cover would be nice so that the hose stays clean for more than a day
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMikey
    The department I was with as an explorer just had an open box in the front bumper. No cover. But a cover would be nice so that the hose stays clean for more than a day

The hose should stay clean enough. Once you use it a couple of times it is going to stay dirty anyway. Around here, apparatus only get dirty from the front tires back. Think about it.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

We have metal covers on ours so you can stand on them when your cleaning the windshield. Never had a problem with it staying open. Oh, and the connection is inside.

The plan is for our next rig is to have a regular crosslay type bed on top of the bumper in place of a tray or well. Easier to deploy the hose. Some of the local departments have them and its a sweet set up.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Our engines have bumper lines with the outlets in the well. I can see putting it on the bumper and making it a 2.5" outlet. Gives you more options. However, we cover ours to prevent snow, salt, and nasty stuff from getting in and gunking up the nozzle. Our cover is simply two metal doors that close down with quarter turn locks on them. No springs, they open up to the left and right and rest down on the bumper. No need for springs in that set up. It works pretty sweet.

We pack it in a way that there's two handles on the base of the hose that you can grab, pull out, and drop the whole pack of hose on the ground. it's designed for one man deployment, since that's what we run in the daytime. (Two men on two different engines + the chief)
    "Captain 1 to control, retone this as a structure and notify the fire chief...."

Safety is no accident.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Default Yup!!......................

Quote Originally Posted by Halligan84
    Our front bumper line was essentially useless until we went with a pack one of our members brought back from Kentland. We carry 100' in 2 horseshoe loads and the last 50 in a double donut. No cover will work on that or is needed. The hose deploys in seconds and the nozzleman takes his 50' rolled with the nozzle to the door. One of our guys put together a powerpoint on how to deploy/pack it. You can check it out here.

http://www.blackwoodfire.org/downloads.htm
    That's us. Exactly. But then, we're next door to Kentland, and we gladly steal ideas that make things work better. Our newest Engine (2004 Pierce) is our third to be delivered with bumper lines, and the first in forty years without crosslays. Except for the bumper lines, everything else comes off the back step. Look us up at www.gdvfd18.com To give proper credit, the Bumper Line was invented by Kentland quite a few years ago. They also came up with what some call the "Robbery Line", which is a 400+ ft. preconnect with the first 300 ft of 2 inch, and the rest 11/2 inch. Purpose of this line is to be able to get a line on the Fire even though you are down the street a few houses from the Fire.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods
    Our newest Engine (2004 Pierce) is our third to be delivered with bumper lines, and the first in forty years without crosslays. Except for the bumper lines, everything else comes off the back step.

They also came up with what some call the "Robbery Line", which is a 400+ ft. preconnect with the first 300 ft of 2 inch, and the rest 11/2 inch. Purpose of this line is to be able to get a line on the Fire even though you are down the street a few houses from the Fire.
    Hows that no crosslay's working out for you Chief? The specs for our next engine (still a year or so away) dont have them either. Im writting them, and my idea is to try and get hose lines away from the pump panel if possible. As written now, I have two crosslays on top of the front bumper and a rear discharge for another preconnect out of the main hose bed. The only thing I have by the panel is a deadlay for extra 3".

As for that "Robbery Line", I like it. We use 3" for ours. 1 FF pulls the 200' 3" which has a gated wye on it while the second (or 2nd & 3rd) FFs pull the hi-rise pack, which is 200' of 2". We used to pull an 1 3/4" preconnect, but the hi-rise pack works better as its ready to carry and you dont have to break it.

Works the same as yours, except for the few extra seconds it takes to connect to the wye.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Thread Information